Tristian's Reef : 325 Gallon Build Prbly Flooding the Floor Again...

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a scolymia coral? its amazing

whatisthis.PNG

Yup that’s a scoly!

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went ahead and added another level to my monitoring setup of the new tank! A WIFI Camera to monitor my tank and sump area.

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been struggling with a weird bacteria outbreak in my new display keeping the water extra cloudy. I think it’s because I used some pumps from my existing display and didn’t really wash them off before adding to my display to make salt water. I went ahead and added my UV sterilizer Jerry-rigged and inside of 48 hours the tank was crystal clear.

Now I can start my rock scape and water exchange from the old tank to the new tank.

c50d54a3f0eaa8764f2103033ba3cfb5.jpg

7719365ca16931de1328e7908d6f6259.jpg

I also picked up 2 Icecap 3k gyres and am running them at 100% to break them in. They have quieted down immensely.

I’m pretty impressed by the icecap 3k.

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so rock work has been an absolute challenge with this tank. Right now I have been slowly popping corals off the rockwork and droping them to the sandbed while I move rocks out. I should have all the corals off the rock work and the rock work moved into the new display by this weekend.

c3a7ef9fbcb1d1d27fc4fa497dda7e3c.jpg

c92abb8bc3a564af70141bc9a467a558.jpg

9b7059bbd56f5568222cf533f36738e5.jpg

2ddeb72002d1b75293441291cbaaf215.jpg

f9da8072e3d03b3ff5b1202c6dbcbe76.jpg

I haven’t started arranging rocks in the new tank yet mostly concerned with moving then quickly but I have been playing around with a few pieces and I’m confident I won’t need to drill any rock.

Getting some height is my main concern but as it stands I’m thinking of 3 bommies that kind of fan out.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Asonitez what made you go with a Crystal Reef Aquatics Sump? The reason I ask is due to the fact that I am looking a possible sump replacement for my 75g . And I am looking at a few of there models ..

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Asonitez what made you go with a Crystal Reef Aquatics Sump? The reason I ask is due to the fact that I am looking a possible sump replacement for my 75g . And I am looking at a few of there models ..

The simple answer is features and math.

Say if I went with a 40 gallon breeder or more likely a 75 gallon standard tank. I would have had to DIY baffles, add sock holders drill holes for bulkheads and overall it still wouldn’t look that great.

Add in probe holders, dosing tube holders and some half-butt way of preventing bubbles.... yeah you at the price of a crystal aquatics sump already.

Pre built offered me the slick features I wanted, all the bells and whistles, all the cutting and math and bulk heat placement and heater holders and fuge....without any work on my part.

This was my dream tank so I figured it deserved a decent sump.

Last edited:

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice...Is your tank acrylic or is a AGE Hybrid?? Just curious..I did notice the PVC bottom and was wondering. At any rate it looks great...having just recently upgraded to a 255g, I can appreciate what went into your build and transferring from an existing system to the new. Congrats!

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simple answer is features and math.

Say if I went with a 40 gallon breeder or more likely a 75 gallon standard tank. I would have had to DIY baffles, add sock holders drill holes for bulkheads and overall it still wouldn’t look that great.

Add in probe holders, dosing tube holders and some half-*** way of preventing bubbles.... yeah you at the price of a crystal aquatics sump already.

Pre built offered me the slick features I wanted, all the bells and whistles, all the cutting and math and bulk heat placement and heater holders and fuge....without any work on my part.

This was my dream tank so I figured it deserved a decent sump.

I completely see what you mean , I am truly thinking of buying a sump and stop doing diy stuff I want some thing clean! I am loving their triton series is the one I am looking at .

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tristian's Reef: Moving Mountains Aquascaping the 350

In this episode I show off the "probably" final aquascape of the new tank. Aquascaping can be a daunting task especially without a goal in mind. However, taking my time and not being under pressure to transfer my critters made things a little more bearable. Undoubtedly things might change, or once corals start going in the tank might evolve. Until then I think I will stick with this rock work. Thanks for watching please like and subscribe!

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a good shot of my newest addition to the reef. It’s singularly the most expensive fish I have ever purchased!

845041d8d4dcfaee786d4a10060d8bb2.jpg

In addition I got rid of the following fish to my lfs. Unfortunately with this volume I can’t take a chance with fish on the fringe. So I waved goodbye to my

Potter’s Angel
Coral Beauty
2 Sixline Wrasses
Flame Angel
African Flameback
Pearly Scale Jawfish
Grey Headed Wrasse
Christmas Wrasse

The jaw fish and last 2 wrasses could have stayed but they were larger than I wanted. I was afraid that they would eat my shrimp. I’m going to get 1 bluestar leopoard wrasse male and 2 females and look forward to them being in my tank.

My last fish will be a pair of Flame Wrasses if I can find them.

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure I would throw these guys up here as well. I now have 10 of them in my tank. Easily the most active and attractive of all my dither fish!

933e2ddba083a5aa519a1216ef95bb90.jpg

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tristian's Reef: 350 Update THE BEAST IS BORN Fish & Corals

Its been a little while since I showed an update of my new build. I finally felt comfortable that everything wouldn't die and shot some highlight footage.

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this episode I give a breakdown my my Cryptic Refugium, Plant some Mangroves and try out a cool feature of my Crystal Reef Aquatics sump. I'm excited to try growing these little trees in my sump and I hope that in addition to perhaps raising and keeping my PH high that they will extract and eat up any stray nutrients in the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tristian's Reef: Crystal Reef ATO - The ReefMadre

In this episode I finally get rid of the ugly ATO bucket that I had been using as an ATO Container. I also have a bad encounter with "The Madre" regarding a little spill while refilling the bucket. Along with her 2 Goons especially "Big Mike" I learn a lesson in flooding floors, baby sharks, and generally find out what torture is like with sound.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back