Triton advising lowering temperature to eliminate Cyano??

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
This has just been posted on tritons fb page;

“First Ndoc has come back
https://www.triton-lab.de/en/aquaria-administration/aquarium/auswertung-a/n-doc/1174/
Been suffering with cyano for 12 myths but this isn't showing anything - recommendation to reduce temp to 24 anyone else run this low?”

Have I missed out on some very basic information that to get rid of Cyano you simply lower tank temperature or have triton found something out during there NDOC data testing??

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it works randomly, haphazardly, or they'd be beating this in results and have a thread to back it (simple detritus removal)

its true in the summer + heat makes my cyano bloom a little more, its like lighting shift/old bulbs bringing it out or suppressing it. those allow for variation, this way doesn't below

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ead-aka-one-against-many.230281/#post-2681445

we have tanks with filthy sand and cyano at 78 degrees, I wouldn't want them to go cooler to might possibly abate it (leaving the detritus, for a certain return one day or to feed the next succession of capitalizers)

everyone has an idea of what it takes to beat cyano, but actual work threads are mighty few and far between.

Last edited:

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what they refer to, but I do know we get more cyano outbreaks during summer at the museum. The temperature goes up to 29-30 degrees sometimes in some tanks and those usually get some Cyanobacteria.
You see pattern after more than ten years working with the same tanks:)
So my guess is high temperature can be favourable for Cyanobacteria.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what they refer to, but I do know we get more cyano outbreaks during summer at the museum. The temperature goes up to 29-30 degrees sometimes in some tanks and those usually get some Cyanobacteria.
You see pattern after more than ten years working with the same tanks:)
So my guess is high temperature can be favourable for Cyanobacteria.

Have you kept records on the appearance of cyanobacteria or would you say that your comments reflect a more general impression?

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you kept records on the appearance of cyanobacteria or would you say that your comments reflect a more general impression?
We have log files from 2010 for these tanks I had in mind, so there are probably notes in there. But not very exact data I'm afraid.
My comment was based on my gut feeling, not our notes in this case :)

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
This has just been posted on tritons fb page;

“First Ndoc has come back
https://www.triton-lab.de/en/aquaria-administration/aquarium/auswertung-a/n-doc/1174/
Been suffering with cyano for 12 myths but this isn't showing anything - recommendation to reduce temp to 24 anyone else run this low?”

Have I missed out on some very basic information that to get rid of Cyano you simply lower tank temperature or have triton found something out during there NDOC data testing??

Unlikely that TRITON has found anything. They might have mined their database for correlations between reported tank parameters and the reported presence of cyanobacteria. This would not be very strong evidence because of the low quality of the data.

We are in a situation that anyone without presenting data can say anything about the growth of cyanobacteria growth and we believe it. A 50:50 chance, flip of a coin, of being correct about the cause looks really promising to us.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have log files from 2010 for these tanks I had in mind, so there are probably notes in there. But not very exact data I'm afraid.
My comment was based on my gut feeling, not our notes in this case :)

I’ll bet the notes are not in English :) , otherwise, I would volunteer to read and compile them. What are the chances of a “cyano task force” being formed to read and analyze the notes? Nine years of information could be a real treasure.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll bet the notes are not in English :) , otherwise, I would volunteer to read and compile them. What are the chances of a “cyano task force” being formed to read and analyze the notes? Nine years of information could be a real treasure.
Yeah, they are written in Swedish :)
I can have a look next week and see if there's enough notes and data to be useful.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back