Triton and “catch” media

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who runs filter socks with triton?

• I use filter socks

• I have a “naked” drain

• I use a “non-sock” type filter media

Results are only viewable after voting.

FartyParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a lot of sock media used with examples of triton I’ve seen implemented. If you run Triton, do you use filter socks or other “catch” media between the display and your refugium?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a lot of sock media used with examples of triton I’ve seen implemented. If you run Triton, do you use filter socks or other “catch” media between the display and your refugium?
In your other post you said you were using triton other methods .. not core 7 .. core 7 is designed to be used with a refugium.. other methods is designed too be used without relying on a media reactor with rowaphos ... that being said , I also use other methods with rowaphos but have added a algea turf scrubber ,core 7 has added iron for the refugium nutrients... I personally don’t use a filter sock on my tank .. but like I said I have no refugium...
Edit ... spell check got me ... without * was meant to be with * .. my mistake .. I must reread before posting !!!!

Last edited:

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your other post you said you were using triton other methods .. not core 7 .. core 7 is designed to be used with a refugium.. other methods is designed too be used without relying on a media reactor with rowaphos ... that being said , I also use other methods with rowaphos but have added a algea turf scrubber ,core 7 has added iron for the refugium nutrients... I personally don’t use a filter sock on my tank .. but like I said I have no refugium...

Core 7 is sold in both base elements and supplements versions. Why do you say just other methods is designed to be used without media reactors or GFO? I see no difference in how a Triton tank should be run with either base elements or reef supplements. It's simply a choice of how you'd like to export nutrients. And if anything, the Base ("Full Triton") method is the most likely candidate for not needing GFO since the fuge will help with PO4 export while a non-fuge based system likely would need GFO. You may use GFO with either method however as needed. I see the idea of Triton being the same with both versions, to keep detritus etc. suspended to feed corals and thus, no, socks should not be used in either version. The only difference between the two versions is one contains additional additives to support the large fuge (iodine, iron, etc.). You also lose the benefit of amino acids being released from macro algae in the supplement version so may need to dose.
upload_2018-10-17_15-18-32.png

Definitely no socks but you will have a fair amount of chaeto strands get stuck in your pumps if you are running full Triton with a Chaeto fuge. I use the following coarse mesh filter before my pump chamber which traps loose chaeto strands but let's everything else through.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquamesh-green-2.html

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Core 7 is sold in both base elements and supplements versions. Why do you say just other methods is designed to be used without media reactors or GFO? I see no difference in how a Triton tank should be run with either base elements or reef supplements. It's simply a choice of how you'd like to export nutrients. And if anything, the Base ("Full Triton") method is the most likely candidate for not needing GFO since the fuge will help with PO4 export while a non-fuge based system likely would need GFO. You may use GFO with either method however as needed. I see the idea of Triton being the same with both versions, to keep detritus etc. suspended to feed corals and thus, no, socks should not be used in either version. The only difference between the two versions is one contains additional additives to support the large fuge (iodine, iron, etc.). You also lose the benefit of amino acids being released from macro algae in the supplement version so may need to dose.
upload_2018-10-17_15-18-32.png

Definitely no socks but you will have a fair amount of chaeto strands get stuck in your pumps if you are running full Triton with a Chaeto fuge. I use the following coarse mesh filter before my pump chamber which traps loose chaeto strands but let's everything else through.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquamesh-green-2.html
... sorry my mistake .. edited my post !!

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mechanical filtration aka catch media holds debris in the water column for decomposition and makes it generally unavailable for detrivores to consume. If not changed regularly, these filters remove an important stage of biological breakdown in the system. By not including machanical filtration and having a refugium in the first chamber of the sump, then the detritus tends to be caught in with the refugium section, where detrivores (amphipods, brittle stars, bristleworms, etc...) can use it as a food source. These in turn add to the food web of the whole system. I am all for having the capability of adding mechanical filtration when needed, but the default on not using it.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a Triton Method user and the only vote so far for the "non-sock" type filter media, allow me to explain. I have the water from the DT go unfiltered into the sump, allowing the detritus to build up in the first section with the rock rubble (copepod heaven). Then through the chaeto section. The last section, with the return line to the return pump, has a large pore course sponge type filter media which catches the large particles but allows the smaller particles and the copepods through to return to the DT. This last section also has some hermit crabs which chew up, poop out and break up the large particles to be reused in the DT. So far it's been working pretty good.
Edit, Oops, just saw the last sentence from CMO in there. Cool, I'm not the only one.

Last edited:

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a Triton Method user and the only vote so far for the "non-sock" type filter media, allow me to explain. I have the water from the DT go unfiltered into the sump, allowing the detritus to build up in the first section with the rock rubble (copepod heaven). Then through the chaeto section. The last section, with the return line to the return pump, has a large pore course sponge type filter media which catches the large particles but allows the smaller particles and the copepods through to return to the DT. This last section also has some hermit crabs which chew up, poop out and break up the large particles to be reused in the DT. So far it's been working pretty good.
Edit, Oops, just saw the last sentence from CMO in there. Cool, I'm not the only one.
Me also not !!!!!!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back