Triton and Algae Scrubbers vs Refugiums.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to have a problem growing cheato. I bought some cheato from Algae Barn a good few months ago and that seems to be a much thicker strain of cheato than what the local reefers and LFS have here. The Algae Barn stuff is hanging in there, but not growing and any of the local stuff just melts away after a week or two.

My No3 is around 7-10 and my Po4 usually 0.03 to 0.07. The huge has a good flow and is lit by an H380 for around 5 hours a night (I decreased it to see if that helped, it didn't).

So with all that I am thinking about an algae scrubber. Supposedly they are more efficient than a refugium and I was wondering if anyone has tried them with Triton. If so would that be other methods or still just Triton since at the end of the day, cheato is a macro algae as is GHA and anything else grown on a scrubber sheet.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as I’ve just added an algea scrubber to my sump .. I have no room for a refrigium .. but then I’m using triton othermethods on mine !

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing the (other methods) formula by chance?, because that won’t sustain the cheato. Even with the original formula I still add a little iodine and iron in order to get the cheato growing.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If chaeto will not grow I wouldn't expect a scurbber to have good growth either. They will both be limited by whatever is holding the chaeto back, which there is good advise here about possible deficiency. H380 is a beast. I had to limit the time because it pushed my pH above 8.6 as I wasn't using a skimmer.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to have a problem growing cheato. I bought some cheato from Algae Barn a good few months ago and that seems to be a much thicker strain of cheato than what the local reefers and LFS have here. The Algae Barn stuff is hanging in there, but not growing and any of the local stuff just melts away after a week or two.

My No3 is around 7-10 and my Po4 usually 0.03 to 0.07. The huge has a good flow and is lit by an H380 for around 5 hours a night (I decreased it to see if that helped, it didn't).

So with all that I am thinking about an algae scrubber. Supposedly they are more efficient than a refugium and I was wondering if anyone has tried them with Triton. If so would that be other methods or still just Triton since at the end of the day, cheato is a macro algae as is GHA and anything else grown on a scrubber sheet.
I much prefer a scrubber, but in any case 5 hours illumination isn't enough.
9 hours minimum is typical recommendation & people run them 24/7 illumination.

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have current ICP results? I'd look at iodine first

Yes my Iodine was showing 0 on the last ICP, I carried out the corrective dose and dose as per the ICP maintenance dose. Next ICP is on the way the end of next week.

Are you dosing the (other methods) formula by chance?, because that won’t sustain the cheato. Even with the original formula I still add a little iodine and iron in order to get the cheato growing.

I am running the Triton as opposed to the Other methods so that should be providing Fe for the cheato

Tombones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Joe,
Just out of curiosity and comparison to my aquarium, What is the size of your aquarium and the recommended maintenance dose?

Zohar78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sooo not meaning to jack the thread, but it fits within the title of thread. When running an ATS, should you run Triton method or other triton method? it sounds almost like regular triton method should be used. the reason for asking is im setting up my 130 and bought a ats to use on my current tank until the 130 is setup and move it there.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start by increasing the light period to 18 hours per day minimum and give it 3-4 weeks to assess any improvement.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back