Triton Detox, and the 3 day process...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some other threads on detox and I've read them. I understand the directions and used it several times. My question is why exactly 3 days before adding carbon to remove it. Generally it looks like the product is very well dispersed throughout the water column after only an hour or so. I would think once it is fully dispersed whatever binding action it is doing should be accomplished and you should be able to remove the product fairly quickly.

So I guess what my question really is... What happens if I give it an hour and then add the carbon? Is that just a waste of the product? Or will it work, but maybe not quite as great as if I left it for those 3 whole days?

The reason I bring this up is when its used, it's generally due to having some negative elements in your tank, and you kind of want it out ASAP!!

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The three day period is to ensure that there has been sufficient contact time and to maximise results.

The longer you leave it (up to a maximum of three days) the more effective it will be.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now that I have my results back I pretty much confirmed that my issue was not one detox would have helped with anyway. I have used it in the past with good results so it was more or less ruling everything out.

It turns out my water was good per triton test, and I believe my issue was caused by my kids getting a hold of Windex and spraying in / around my tank, which happened the day before problems began.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I immediately began 2 carbon reactors, a gfo reactor, changed 90g, and ran purigen as fast as I could find some. Everything is recovering nicely now. I only lost a handful of acro. This all happened nearly a month ago.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back