Triton Diy Sump - refugium placement

Gatorj31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve searched and searched but can’t really find a definitive answer on my question. I’m building a sump out of a 30g long tank. I had planned to have the protein skimmer right after the filter socks and then the refugium. However, I came across the triton method and they say refugium first and no filter socks. My original idea was to have the skimmer in front because it will give ample time for micro bubbles to clear before the return pump. Another concern is any pods that make it out of the fuge will be sucked into the skimmer.

Does anyone know why refugium is first with the triton method? Anyone doing triton with skimmer first? And what is the point of no filter socks? I understand it’s to feed the macro algea but seems like you’d still want to remove most decaying matter that you could

Kazumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read, the refugium comes first so the algae has a chance to use as much nutrients at it can before the skimmer takes out some. If the pods come out of the refugium with the layout you want, your return pump will eat them.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the Full Triton Method you want your fuge to be the main exporter of nutrients and that’s why it is before your skimmer- to give it first crack. It does state you can run socks on occasion to polish the water. Depending on your display size, your fuge size needs to be 10-20% of your main tank. If you plan on doing the Triton Method, I’d recommend finding the thread and go through it so you know the “what’s” and “why’s”. I am currently building a 75 gallon display with a 30 gallon sump and will be doing the Full Triton Method, after a lot of research.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back