Triton first time set up on a Red Sea Reefer 250

blanc88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've just got back from my lfs with the Triton ICP test kit. I've also managed to buy the Core 7 set aswell.

My tank is a red sea reefer medium stocked with the standard sump. I've got a bio pellet reactor running and also an algae bed.

Now I know I shouldn't be using the reactor so I do wish to phase it out. Saying that; 've heard people that had success running both Triton method and bio pellets. - your opinions are greatly appreciated ;)

A few questions if anybody can help me.

1# I'm slightly curious; sending a sample of my water chemistry 'today' ...what use would their guidance do two weeks later down the line ?

2# can I continue to use my bio pellet reactor without going down the 'other method' route?

3# Should I wait until I get my results back before dosing ? Or should I start on the minimum guideline?

4# am I forgetting anything obvious ?!

2ccd298b543ba8440e7f2219d91a66c9.jpg
e15a327c417effee11d0ed25121a07f5.jpg
d12912194d2f7ca7705f15e8858d194e.jpg

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I think you posted this in the wrong subforum. Im seeing it in the anemone and clownfish section.

Very nice tank though.

Otherwise, I personally try to keep my tank as simple as possible and only dose alk and do water changes. I do not buy in to ICP testing due to the cost and variations. I have training and personally use an ICP-OES at work, although I run basically tap water or tankline water for etching/plating baths and Ill probably be converting it to run organics. It is fairly simple device to use but there are a significant number of areas for user error in the process and operation.

That said, if I were to rely on ICP testing, I would take samples something like two a day, 12hrs apart. Then do that for a week to figure out a general range of my tank's consumption. Although more frequent sampling over a longer period of time would be better, it would not be practial/ cost effective.

I find the idea great but it becomes more of nitpicking and number chasing in my mind.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back