Triton: How to Begin Dosing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is up and running and cycled and will be adding coral soon.
I'm used to either a CaRx where all i had to test was Alk, or Two-Part where I was testing for all three (Calc, Alk, and Mag) and adding various amounts of all three.
But since Triton is adding all kinds of things, do you dose all 4 the same?

And I started the tank up with Tropic Marin Pro.
I've tested my water and have the following results:

Alk - 7 dkh
Calc - 440 ppm
Mag - 1740!

So what am I supposed to do to start?
And not sure how i'm supposed to deal with the high mag other than get some coral in the tank.
Water changes won't do anything since that's all I've been doing.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is apparently different from some people, but here's how I understand it.

1.) Get alkalinity to 8.0 (Stand alone supplement - I happened to have some BRS two part left over, so I used that)
2.) I started with 1/2 the recommended daily dose (10ml/25 gallons is recommended)
3.) Test daily and adjust all doses until alk is stable
4.) Dont worry about high mag (or in my case high calcium and mag). As the dosage gets dialed in, the parameters will fall in line (Mine did after about 5 weeks). I tested daily for about three months and then tapered off to 2-3 times a week. I test calcium and phosphate once a week, Mag and Nitrate once a month. It all falls in line as the supplements are balanced, so the high ones fall eventually.

Ive heard a lot of people change the doses from one element or another, but it seems to me that they are meant to be in balance, and because the method is built around alk. I hold that at 8 and the rest all falls in line. At least, thats my experience. Starting at 1/2 dose let me make fine adjustments during the first week so I can pick up on how much my tank consumed and when it was changing.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is apparently different from some people, but here's how I understand it.

1.) Get alkalinity to 8.0 (Stand alone supplement - I happened to have some BRS two part left over, so I used that)
2.) I started with 1/2 the recommended daily dose (10ml/25 gallons is recommended)
3.) Test daily and adjust all doses until alk is stable
4.) Dont worry about high mag (or in my case high calcium and mag). As the dosage gets dialed in, the parameters will fall in line (Mine did after about 5 weeks). I tested daily for about three months and then tapered off to 2-3 times a week. I test calcium and phosphate once a week, Mag and Nitrate once a month. It all falls in line as the supplements are balanced, so the high ones fall eventually.

Ive heard a lot of people change the doses from one element or another, but it seems to me that they are meant to be in balance, and because the method is built around alk. I hold that at 8 and the rest all falls in line. At least, thats my experience. Starting at 1/2 dose let me make fine adjustments during the first week so I can pick up on how much my tank consumed and when it was changing.
Ok, I will try that... thanks!

As far as the high mag goes, seems to be an issue with the Tropic Marin. There is another thread in Reef Discussion with someone having the same problem.
I just tested a freshly mixed batch and it's over 1800.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked for me, but there are numerous others that have dosed different amounts based on what their system parameters were. I used cheapo salt (IO purple box) and havent had any noticable issues with maintaining stable water parameters that were in line with what Triton recommends. I believe I initially ramped from 60 ml/daily to 112 ml daily until I changed my tank over. Im still near the same volume, but with the lower coral load, Im only dosing about 56ml daily.

One thing I will note is that the Elementz seem to contain a level of Iron that really causes algae to take off. I was throwing out a significant amount (600ml beaker worth) of macro every 2-3 days. When the macros got too thinned out, Cyano started to creep up (only in the fuge) but would subside once the macros started to take off. I think thats why its suggested to "ease into" the proper dosage, otherwise you may get a nasty alagal and/or cyano bloom - though you're tank is more readily cycled than mine was, so you may not have that issue. Still, figured it was worth passing along.

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like Ksfulk mentions, just focus on the ALK level but dose all the Elemeents in the same ratio. Dialing in technique is no different than any other type.

If Alk is falling then ramp up your dosing times until you reach stable point. Since you have plenty of wiggle room with both your CA/Mg levels, if Elements doesn't keep up with Alk as you test I personally would just make your adjustments to the dosing schedule and add some Baking soda/Soda Ash or whatever you have on hand to raise it. Overtime, you will need to start ramping up dosing as you notice the ALK dropping from demand and need to increase your dosing schedules as a reiterative process.

I personally wouldn't worry about trying to correct the Magnesium. Just knowing where it came from when you get your first Triton test is good enough for me. I don't like surprises.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.
My Magnesium is still around 1700.
Other than that, I'm ready to start dosing. If I'm dosing 3A/3B, isn't that going to keep my magnesium elevated for much much longer?
It's one thing to have magnesium at 1400, but dang.... 1700! That can't be good long term.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly have you had that Mg reading confirmed via the an ICP?

Once you have added corals obviously your elements will start to drop but with your alk already being on the low side I would start dosing at 10ml per 100l straight away to maintain that level. IF you Mg is that high then you can run 3A/B at a reduced level until the consumption brings it down to where it should be, but it is important that the dose is returned to equal amounts as soon as possible as you will be underdosing several beneficial elements during the time it is lower than the others.

It may just take a bit of fine tweaking to get the levels right over the first few months, just make sure you start with some hardy corals to begin with.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will try that... thanks!

As far as the high mag goes, seems to be an issue with the Tropic Marin. There is another thread in Reef Discussion with someone having the same problem.
I just tested a freshly mixed batch and it's over 1800.
I had a similar experience when I started testing Mag, but I discovered I was making a mistake on the procedure! Check the procedure very carefully!

+1 on "measure and adjust Alk and everything else will fall in line"

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience when I started testing Mag, but I discovered I was making a mistake on the procedure! Check the procedure very carefully!

+1 on "measure and adjust Alk and everything else will fall in line"
It's no mistake. There's a thread somewhere else on R2R. Seems a couple of us got a bad batch. I bought a new bucket and it tested 1400 when what was left of the old bucket was testing over 1800.
I went back and forth with TM on it trying multiple kits and finally testing a new bucket. It was definitely the salt.

Anyway, i was thinking of holding off on the 3A/3B until my mag comes down? Is just one of them the magnesium or both?
Seems like this would be the faster way to get it all balanced out but I also don't want to make things worse.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presume you are going to be dosing 3A + 3B separately?

If you are then stop 3A and dose 1 2 3B equally until it comes down then dose all 4 equally.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presume you are going to be dosing 3A + 3B separately?

If you are then stop 3A and dose 1 2 3B equally until it comes down then dose all 4 equally.
Ok, perfect. That's what I'll do. Thanks, Tim!

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an timely question for me too. My tank parameters are really perfect (Alk 9.0, Calcium 425, Mg 1350, Ammonia 0.0, Nitrite 0.0, Nitrate 0.0) BUT I am not getting Coralline algae growth. I have a couple of small pieces of live rock that have lots of purple Coralline on them. I scraped and brushed the coralline in hopes of spreading it around the tank to the other rocks, but so far, no luck. I have a fully cycled tank with lots of rock. It's about 3 months old at this point.

My LFS guy was quite adamant that I should be adding more Mg, even if my current reading is 1350. He recommended 15ml/day based on my tank size and stocking and was not worried about higher than normal Mg levels.

He says if he looks at a tank with no Coralline, it means it needs Mg, period. If he looks at a tank with nuisance algae, the phosphates are too high. I.e. "I don't need no stinkin' test kits" ;).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back