Triton ICP test telling me to add over 6L of Sulpher. Can this be correct?

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just feels a bit wacky. Before I go spend $300 on 7 litres of triton sulphate I wanted to run this by the group.

The circulating volume in my aquarium right now is 380g (1 430L)

From Triton:

S SULPHUR: My aquarium 728 mg/l. Setpoint 900 mg/l.

We have detected a lack of sulphur.
A sulfate dosage may have the following advantages for your aquarium:
- Helps the coral to build it`s skeleton
- Can promote LPS / SPS coloring and growth
To restore the natural value, please refer to our recommended dosage.

We recommend the corrective dosage be carried out over 18 days. For the first 17 days the daily dosage should be 359.75ml. On the last day please use 229.95ml.

The rest of my ICP test is attached.

Attachments

• Jason’s Aquarium - 03_05_2021 (B-lpW7EW)-2.pdf
    159.7 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the rest of their suggestions. Before I go drop $870 on chemicals I just was hoping for some thoughts from everyone. I'm not buying their calcium or magnesium as I dose ESV B-ionic for those. Thanks in advance!
Product image of Triton Reagents Calcium 1000ml
1x Triton Reagents Calcium 1000ml
  • Product image of Triton Reagents Magnesium 1000ml
    6x Triton Reagents Magnesium 1000ml
  • Product image of Triton Reagents Potassium 1000ml
    2x Triton Reagents Potassium 1000ml
  • Product image of Triton Reagents Boron 1000ml
    1x Triton Reagents Boron 1000ml
  • Product image of Triton Reagents Sulphate 1000ml
    7x Triton Reagents Sulphate 1000ml
  • Product image of Triton Reagents Nickel 100ml
    1x Triton Reagents Nickel 100ml
  • Product image of Triton Reagents Molybdenum 100ml
    1x Triton Reagents Molybdenum 100ml
  • Product image of Triton Reagents Vanadium 100ml
    1x Triton Reagents Vanadium 100ml
  • Product image of Triton Reagents Zinc 100ml
    1x Triton Reagents Zinc 100ml
  • Product image of Triton Reagents Manganese 100ml
    1x Triton Reagents Manganese 100ml
  • Product image of Triton Reagents Iodine 100ml
    1x Triton Reagents Iodine 100ml

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just feels a bit wacky. Before I go spend $300 on 7 litres of triton sulphate I wanted to run this by the group.

The circulating volume in my aquarium right now is 380g (1 430L)

From Triton:

S SULPHUR: My aquarium 728 mg/l. Setpoint 900 mg/l.

We have detected a lack of sulphur.
A sulfate dosage may have the following advantages for your aquarium:
- Helps the coral to build it`s skeleton
- Can promote LPS / SPS coloring and growth
To restore the natural value, please refer to our recommended dosage.

We recommend the corrective dosage be carried out over 18 days. For the first 17 days the daily dosage should be 359.75ml. On the last day please use 229.95ml.

The rest of my ICP test is attached.
You can buy all of these chemicals for a fraction of the cost, see: https://www.loudwolf.com/storefront/

For a 1430 L system for sulfur you need (1430 L x 172 mg/L x 1 g/1000 mg = 246 g of sulfur x 142 g sodium sulfate/ 32 g sulfur per sodium sulfate = 1091 g = 2.4 pounds of sodium sulfate (Loudwolf sells 2 pounds of sodium sulfate for $32.99.). Dissolve 2 pounds in 4.5 L RO/DI and add 250 mL/day.

Since you're in Toronto, it's possible you may have trouble obtaining these chemicals, but you might be able to find some other local suppliers.

For example, BRS sells magnesium sulfate 7 pounds for only $24 (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-magnesium-sulfate-7-pounds-bulk-reef-supply.html).
You would need 923 g of MgSO4 dissolved in 4.5 L of RO/DI adding 250 mL/day. This would also raise your Mg by about 130 ppm to 1358 ppm.

I can go through the analysis of the other elements for you if you're interested and we can have someone double-check my calculations.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go the magnesium sulphate route, @Courtney Aldrich ‘s calculations seem right to me.

As for the triton dosing recommendations... you might want to double check the aquarium settings on the site. Do you maybe have liters put in as the value but set to gallons? I know some of the supplements are less than concentrated but that seems excessive to me.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is doing well I wouldn't even change anything tbh. Too much money has been spent and too many mistakes have been made by reefers chasing numbers imo.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this super useful thread regarding low sulphur levels... it’s worth a read.

and as noted in the thread, if you go with sodium sulfate you’ll also be raising your salinity.

And it’s probably useful to figure out why your sulphur is so low in the first place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy all of these chemicals for a fraction of the cost, see: https://www.loudwolf.com/storefront/

For a 1430 L system for sulfur you need (1430 L x 172 mg/L x 1 g/1000 mg = 246 g of sulfur x 142 g sodium sulfate/ 32 g sulfur per sodium sulfate = 1091 g = 2.4 pounds of sodium sulfate (Loudwolf sells 2 pounds of sodium sulfate for $32.99.). Dissolve 2 pounds in 4.5 L RO/DI and add 250 mL/day.

Since you're in Toronto, it's possible you may have trouble obtaining these chemicals, but you might be able to find some other local suppliers.

For example, BRS sells magnesium sulfate 7 pounds for only $24 (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-magnesium-sulfate-7-pounds-bulk-reef-supply.html).
You would need 923 g of MgSO4 dissolved in 4.5 L of RO/DI adding 250 mL/day. This would also raise your Mg by about 130 ppm to 1358 ppm.

I can go through the analysis of the other elements for you if you're interested and we can have someone double-check my calculations.
Thanks!
Yea, everything is more difficult to come by in Canada. BRS does deliver to Canada (though duties are always crazy). I'll check out loudwolf and also look around to see what I can find. Thanks for your offer to do an analysis of the other elements. I'm going to do a bit of deep dive into this sulpher thing....

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go the magnesium sulphate route, @Courtney Aldrich ‘s calculations seem right to me.

As for the triton dosing recommendations... you might want to double check the aquarium settings on the site. Do you maybe have liters put in as the value but set to gallons? I know some of the supplements are less than concentrated but that seems excessive to me.
Thanks.
Will do.

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is doing well I wouldn't even change anything tbh. Too much money has been spent and too many mistakes have been made by reefers chasing numbers imo.
Is the tank doing well? Meh. Waaaaaay better than it was but no-where near where I want it to be. I'm just coming out of my year and a half Dino battle. My aquarium has gone through some crazy shifts in that time. Things are just starting to stabilize but I'm not growing anything difficult in my tank right now. Want to start growing SPS again. Before I start dropping money on frags I was just looking to make sure that there was nothing else major I was missing. Hence the Triton test. I'm in the process of trying to read as much as I can on these elements. The 3 I'm contemplating adding based on the ICP test are Potassium, Iodine and Sulfer. Haven't committed to anything yet.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back