Triton Method vs “Other” Method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started mine off the "wrong" way round, ran like it for 6 months and it was ok, just dose into the algae if you want to continue that way. Dose into a powerhead in there though as the flow needs to be HIGH...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am leaning towards trying the Triton Method!

OP
OP
ShinyRobot

ShinyRobot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started mine off the "wrong" way round, ran like it for 6 months and it was ok, just dose into the algae if you want to continue that way. Dose into a powerhead in there though as the flow needs to be HIGH...
Thank you all for your very helpful insight! It's looking like the "other method" is definitely what I will start with first.

What do you consider "high flow", and is it to keep the solution from settling and building up? My flow in the sump is actually pretty high - my little ball of chaeto is happily spinning around, if that is enough flow I can dose directly into the middle refugium area. If not, would you recommend dosing right in front of the return intake? My only concern there is around the return pump it's very settled, almost no flow whatsoever.

Another question is recommended dosing amount and cadence throughout the day. I will be using a dosing pump to slowly add very small amounts throughout the day, would that do anything to impact the flow requirements?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Triton for other methods along with TM Pro salt. Dosing into the return section of the sump using 2 DOS doses. I haven't noticed any problem. I did however start with the core 7, no fudge, golf course. Next was Pax Bellum and chaeto, couldn't keep it alive, tank was too clean. Persistence...Triton for other methods is doing alright. I have diluted it by 50 %, to be able to dose alittle more. Spoke with Joe as he suggested this. Using TM Pro salt I'm barely dosing any CA, it stays high consistently.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive the typos on above post, smartphones changing words

OP
OP
ShinyRobot

ShinyRobot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Triton for other methods along with TM Pro salt. Dosing into the return section of the sump using 2 DOS doses. I haven't noticed any problem. I did however start with the core 7, no fudge, golf course. Next was Pax Bellum and chaeto, couldn't keep it alive, tank was too clean. Persistence...Triton for other methods is doing alright. I have diluted it by 50 %, to be able to dose alittle more. Spoke with Joe as he suggested this. Using TM Pro salt I'm barely dosing any CA, it stays high consistently.

You're dosing salt? I didn't even think of that, I'm sure you lose some salinity over time through dumping your skimmer cup and other nutrient export. Do you have to dose salt often, or is it an every week to two weeks type of thing?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not dosing salt. I use TM Pro salt and Triton for other methods via 2 DOS dosers. Other than that I run a Nyos Quantum skimmer. I send out a test for Triton when I want an update on my water. It's low nutrients, rarely clean glass, trochius seem to handle it.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're dosing salt? I didn't even think of that, I'm sure you lose some salinity over time through dumping your skimmer cup and other nutrient export. Do you have to dose salt often, or is it an every week to two weeks type of thing?
I'm guessing he's doing continuous water changes

The core products will raise ur salinity if u dial in ur skimmer to pull just the right amount of skim the salinity stays the same

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt doesn't dissipate only water. Unless you made a large batch of water that's too low you shouldn't have to worry about the salt. I have nice coralline and baby red banded trochius snails, something's liking the program.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried continuous water changes, I prefer less to go wrong scenario. The first attempt with the original core7 sent my salinity into the ground. Scott couldn't explain it, nor anyone else. By the way the 'he' is actually a 'she'. Debbie

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're better off dosing the core 7 elements into the first section with algae, either internal or external. Then your skimmer and return. I've tried it other ways, didn't have a good outcome. I had a few conversations with Joe. The core 7 for other methods seem to be fine dosing right into the return section. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
ShinyRobot

ShinyRobot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing he's doing continuous water changes

The core products will raise ur salinity if u dial in ur skimmer to pull just the right amount of skim the salinity stays the same
Do you know if the "Other Methods" will also raise salinity? I apologize if all of these questions are answered in some documentation somewhere, I read through the "Getting started" pdf but didn't really see any information on the "other methods". If Triton has published some layman's terms differences (for my benefit) that would probably be good to know, so I know what I might need to watch out for, running the "other methods" versions.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if the "Other Methods" will also raise salinity? I apologize if all of these questions are answered in some documentation somewhere, I read through the "Getting started" pdf but didn't really see any information on the "other methods". If Triton has published some layman's terms differences (for my benefit) that would probably be good to know, so I know what I might need to watch out for, running the "other methods" versions.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case it hasn't raised salinity. I started out slow with the dosing, once again spoke with Joe. I'm using small containers for the elements and have diluted them by 50% to allow for a larger dose. The calcium is the only element which you don't have to dose equally, element bottle 2. In my case it's barely dosed due to the high calcium level in my salt already. I also aimed for a 7.2 dkh not 8. Somewhere in the Triton forum is says to aim for 7 when using Triton for other methods. I figure alittle over is fine. Of course everything is based on your amount of gallons and stocking. It's easier to start out slower and raise than to start out high and have to lower.

OP
OP
ShinyRobot

ShinyRobot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case it hasn't raised salinity. I started out slow with the dosing, once again spoke with Joe. I'm using small containers for the elements and have diluted them by 50% to allow for a larger dose. The calcium is the only element which you don't have to dose equally, element bottle 2. In my case it's barely dosed due to the high calcium level in my salt already. I also aimed for a 7.2 dkh not 8. Somewhere in the Triton forum is says to aim for 7 when using Triton for other methods. I figure alittle over is fine. Of course everything is based on your amount of gallons and stocking. It's easier to start out slower and raise than to start out high and have to lower.

Yep, I hear you. I'm a bit low on C, Mg, and Alk so will probably use them to slowly raise these levels, and then send in a test so I get a good baseline, and then figure out where to go from there. I just have a bunch of LPS, no SPS yet.

By the way, I wasn't able to find the Triton salt on Bulk Reef Supply - is it sold here in the States?

Darwin stinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I too really want to go full Triton so I started with the test, flipped my refugium to the first section, and took out my filter socks. But the problem I first discovered, was that the water was tumbling my plants and the cheato was getting into my skimmer and plugging it. I solved that with some foam on the output that flows into the skimmer section. The other problem was that the display is not as clear with without the filter socks. So now I'm not sure if I want to go full Triton, anyway some more food for thought.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other methods raises mine a little bit it's never been over .025 what I keep my salinity at so the gallon or two of skim I dump out plus whatever amount of water that Falls over the tank when I'm working on it each week is equal to the salinity the triton ads.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ur not doseing equally? I was told that in time it will all even out and the base elements can't be over dosed as it will only bring up the calcium so high

And yes there is a discussion on this site we had I think it's triton at 8 or 7 dkh bunch of good info in there just have to search for it.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I hear you. I'm a bit low on C, Mg, and Alk so will probably use them to slowly raise these levels, and then send in a test so I get a good baseline, and then figure out where to go from there. I just have a bunch of LPS, no SPS yet.

By the way, I wasn't able to find the Triton salt on Bulk Reef Supply - is it sold here in the States?
So ur not doseing equally? I was told that in time it will all even out and the base elements can't be over dosed as it will only bring up the calcium so high

And yes there is a discussion on this site we had I think it's triton at 8 or 7 dkh bunch of good info in there just have to search for it.

I'm using Tropic Marin Pro salt. Marine depot carries it. Unique Corals carries the Triton products, both online. Triton salt is only recommended when you have a problem to correct but, I again spoke to Joe, ant used Tropic Marin Pro when correcting a problem. Triton salt would've been way too much$.

Back