Triton Method vs “Other” Method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I too really want to go full Triton so I started with the test, flipped my refugium to the first section, and took out my filter socks. But the problem I first discovered, was that the water was tumbling my plants and the cheato was getting into my skimmer and plugging it. I solved that with some foam on the output that flows into the skimmer section. The other problem was that the display is not as clear with without the filter socks. So now I'm not sure if I want to go full Triton, anyway some more food for thought.

This is a really good video that talks a lot about the Triton Method. In that video he talks about how most Triton systems won't have that crystal clear tank water. A lot of that particulate matter will feed the corals and the macro algae which will in turn feed the corals.

If it gets too much for me, I'll put a sock on for a day or so and run some carbon.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really good video that talks a lot about the Triton Method. In that video he talks about how most Triton systems won't have that crystal clear tank water. A lot of that particulate matter will feed the corals and the macro algae which will in turn feed the corals.

If it gets too much for me, I'll put a sock on for a day or so and run some carbon.

I was there two seats to the right

OP
OP
ShinyRobot

ShinyRobot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very informative, thanks for sharing! I now know the proper way to pronounce chaetomorpha! I am up in Los Angeles all the time I will have to check Unique Corals out the next time I'm up there.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get most of my SPS corals from them also. A special thank you to Donna for that killer Green Slimer which was WAY above the norm...

d_adler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone attempted "triton" or "other" methods with a algae reactor? I understand a reactor has limited size so I'm curious if it would work

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no refugium as well so can I use the other methods instead also do I still dose my cal alk n mag im currently using esv and salt is reef crystals was thiking of chaging my salt as well

OP
OP
ShinyRobot

ShinyRobot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no refugium as well so can I use the other methods instead also do I still dose my cal alk n mag im currently using esv and salt is reef crystals was thiking of chaging my salt as well
Triton Core7 replaces all of your dosing, it will raise your alk and properly maintain the relationship between calcium and magnesium and all the other trace elements. I've been running the "other" methods with biopellets + chaeto refugium, CO2 Scrubber, GFO and carbon for over a month now without ANY water changes and all of our SPS, LPS and softies have been growing better than ever before. I also noticed that when I replaced the CO2 scrubber media that my dosing requirements went up considerably. PH during the day is around 8.2 - 8.3 and right now for a mixed 120g reef I'm dosing 10ml - 20ml per day. I am about to send in my first Triton water test, so I'm curious how far off from "ideal" my water parameters are.

From what I can tell the traditional Triton method relies on the fuge for nitrate/phosphate export but also increasing the PH, similar to what the O2 scrubber does. Maybe after my chaeto fills up my refugium it will start helping to increase PH as well.

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton Core7 replaces all of your dosing, it will raise your alk and properly maintain the relationship between calcium and magnesium and all the other trace elements. I've been running the "other" methods with biopellets + chaeto refugium, CO2 Scrubber, GFO and carbon for over a month now without ANY water changes and all of our SPS, LPS and softies have been growing better than ever before. I also noticed that when I replaced the CO2 scrubber media that my dosing requirements went up considerably. PH during the day is around 8.2 - 8.3 and right now for a mixed 120g reef I'm dosing 10ml - 20ml per day. I am about to send in my first Triton water test, so I'm curious how far off from "ideal" my water parameters are.

From what I can tell the traditional Triton method relies on the fuge for nitrate/phosphate export but also increasing the PH, similar to what the O2 scrubber does. Maybe after my chaeto fills up my refugium it will start helping to increase PH as well.
I

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no refugium so that would be my mAin question if I can get the same results without havin 1 I was told the other methods is especially 4 those without a refugium but just wanted 2 get someone who's been using its opinion as far as filtration got a skimmer dual reactor wit Gfo n carbon and marine pure ceramic blocks

OP
OP
ShinyRobot

ShinyRobot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no refugium so that would be my mAin question if I can get the same results without havin 1 I was told the other methods is especially 4 those without a refugium but just wanted 2 get someone who's been using its opinion as far as filtration got a skimmer dual reactor wit Gfo n carbon and marine pure ceramic blocks
Yeah I would think that you'd be fine with the Triton other methods, as long as you have adequate waste management.

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as waste management I have skimmed rated up 2 120 gallons also dual Gfo n carbon reactors as well as marine pure blocks was thiking of adding a bio pellet reactor as well my tank is a 57 rimless lps softies live rock n done fish

Stephen L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
Would the Triton method work with a large external refugium. This would mean all the inlet flow would not go through the algae and can a refugium be too big. im looking at 50% volume. Originally I was going to add a rollermat filter and external refugium with water changes. If i went Triton the rollormat money would buy the dosing system etc and salt money would by the triton chemicals.
Any thoughts on which may be best... i just cant decide rrrrrr

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my Red Sea Reefer 425 (112 gal total/93 gal display) , I’m running a reef mat filter roller that empties into the refugium (about 6 gallons) that is powered by a Kessel H160 and then into skimmer and return and UV sterilizer. I’m also running a Dos that’s doing a 1 gal per day auto water change

Since I’m running a refugium should I use the Triton method core7 or the Other Method additives in this case since my fuge is smaller than spec and I’m doing water changes and using a filter roller?

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my Red Sea Reefer 425 (112 gal total/93 gal display) , I’m running a reef mat filter roller that empties into the refugium (about 6 gallons) that is powered by a Kessel H160 and then into skimmer and return and UV sterilizer. I’m also running a Dos that’s doing a 1 gal per day auto water change

Since I’m running a refugium should I use the Triton method core7 or the Other Method additives in this case since my fuge is smaller than spec and I’m doing water changes and using a filter roller?
If you are running a refugium you should use TRITON Core7 Base Elements (TRITON Method). You always have the option of "ramping up" your fuge by increasing the intensity of light or running them for longer periods (14hrs max) and harvesting the algae more regularly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back