Triton method vs Triton “other method”

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can’t find a lot of info on the “other method” so more info would be awesome if anyone has any knowledge to share I would be most grateful.

But the main question I have is am I able to do the mail method? I have a 40g cube AIO that is set up with a filter sponge, skimmer, refugium with a Innovative Marine ChaetoMax 2-in-1 Refugium LED with bio balls, then my return pump.

I really like the idea of no water changes but, idk if it’s possible in my setup. Well I need to use the “other method “? And if so, what is the “other method”?

Thank you all for all your time and wisdom.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, well I don’t know (or have any experience) with what Tritons “other method” is, but I can tell you from my experience, I use ATI Essentials Pro for my dosing with no water changes and am very happy with my results. I do not follow any of the guidelines around sump size, flow rates, refugium sizes, etc.

There are multiple successful ways to run a tank.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, well I don’t know (or have any experience) with what Tritons “other method” is, but I can tell you from my experience, I use ATI Essentials Pro for my dosing with no water changes and am very happy with my results. I do not follow any of the guidelines around sump size, flow rates, refugium sizes, etc.

There are multiple successful ways to run a tank.

Hope this helps!
What is ATI?

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I just did the math on my refugium it is about 1.5gl on a 40g. I know that is less than the recommended percentage but is it possible?

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better yet..

whats the other method?
From what I understand no refugium and using a different method for nutrient control, like reactors and or water changes with the tritons “other method” additives.

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered the balling method instead of the triton method? You only have to test and maintain your big three (Alk,Ca,Mg) and your trace elements will stay in line. Also allows for 0 water changes as long as you have appropriate nutrient export. I know thats not what you asked about but if youre new to it it may be easier!

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered the balling method instead of the triton method? You only have to test and maintain your big three (Alk,Ca,Mg) and your trace elements will stay in line. Also allows for 0 water changes as long as you have appropriate nutrient export. I know thats not what you asked about but if youre new to it it may be easier!
Can you give me some more info on the balling method?

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never run triton method so I cant comment on that too much, but here is a good overview of the balling method:

I personally use aquaforest 1+2+3+ and really like it. I only have to worry about my KH levels and then dose equal parts of the other two. You can get it in premade jugs, or you can mix yourself for cheaper. Here is what aquaforest says:

For what its worth H. Balling works for Tropic Marin so they claim the "original" balling method can only be done using their products, but there are many other brands out there that people have had success running.

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the balling method what is used as the main nutrient export?

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few no water change methods. I did none on my nano 18" cube with filter sock and skimmer only for 1.5 years.
Currently 4.5 months in on my 120 with filter sock skimmer and a no water change approach.
Current dosing.
Dose esv 2 part daily by hand
Dose DSR trace daily by hand
Dose esv strontium weekly.
Test for big 3 strontium and iodine.
I use a modified DSR approach
Look up glen fong for ideas.
Whatever method you chose with water changes or no water changes
"Stabilty" is where its at.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is ATI?

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Other method" is for those users not running the exact triton method... It's for someone who -as an example- has a algae reactor instead of a true refugium, but wishes to run their tank similarly to triton. To be true triton you need the appropriate size refugium etc.

Back