Triton results and dead sps...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Masgatigata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
My latest triton results are not looking good. I have no clue where this copper could be coming from or how to get rid of it. I believe this and detected aluminum are the source of my sps dying although snails and shrimp are doing fine. Where do I go from here?

OP
OP
M

Masgatigata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change use tropic marin salt pro reef. Change water biweekly 20% and dose using esv two part. I feed reef frenzy everyday. No other additives added.

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you making your own water? Your municipal water source or brass pipes in your house could be the source of so much copper.

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything else in there that could be the culprit. Are you certain its not AEFW or lighting shock?

Copper is a suspected ingredient in Zeospur2 and the results of overdosing that is a massive lightening in coral tissue color. Are you seeing this? It can be similar to how a bleached coral looks as both copper and sudden exposure to high light will cause the coral to expel excess zooxanthelle.

If the source of the copper is found and you'd like to reduce the levels (once you are confident you are not adding more to the tank) you can either do large water changes or try Triton Detox.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is definitely doing it. Check ALL of your equipment that sits in water (pumps, heaters especially, etc). Look for damage. Clean out your sump and make sure nothing fell in there.
Test your RO/DI water for copper and your salt mix water. Its gotta be coming from somewhere.

OP
OP
M

Masgatigata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to do a 20 percent water change today and take the sump apart to make sure nothings in there. I make my own water and there are no brass fittings that I know. I've had a tank for years and never had a problem with sps until recently. Has to be the copper. No aefw. I've checked at night and dip everything. I ordered a copper test kit and cuprisorb to try and get a handle on this mess. I use tropicmarin pro salt.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but what exactly are your SPS doing? You state they are dying can you post a picture of your coral?
Also do you feed your tank heavily with any kind of flake?

OP
OP
M

Masgatigata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are rtning from the tips down. I would have taken picks but they are all pretty much bleached at this point. I do not feed flake food only reef frenzy. My alk is always at 8.6 or around that so I know it can't be that. With the test showing elevated copper I'm assuming it's that although my coral banded shrimp is alive and kicking.

camelcruiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your calcium is also low so I would bump that up also get a poly filter pad that way you definitely know if its copper or not.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not start chasing copper. My triton result for copper is 14 micro/L but I do feed flake quite heavy.
have you added anything to your tank recently?
there are studies where acro's will die off suddenly with a single new addition with no known cause.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is definitely doing it. Check ALL of your equipment that sits in water (pumps, heaters especially, etc). Look for damage. Clean out your sump and make sure nothing fell in there.
Test your RO/DI water for copper and your salt mix water. Its gotta be coming from somewhere.

Why do you conclude that 5 ppb copper is killing the SPS?

I've had copper higher than that when I've tested it myself in the past, and my corals seemed fine.

I wouldn't be sure it is any issue reflected in the Triton results posted.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you conclude that 5 ppb copper is killing the SPS?

I've had copper higher than that when I've tested it myself in the past, and my corals seemed fine.

I wouldn't be sure it is any issue reflected in the Triton results posted.
Well, you're right, I shouldn't assume that it is the cause. I was just under the impression that copper is so highly toxic to corals that it must be to blame. I am not sure what level it takes to become deadly though.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not start chasing copper. My triton result for copper is 14 micro/L but I do feed flake quite heavy.
have you added anything to your tank recently?
there are studies where acro's will die off suddenly with a single new addition with no known cause.

Single New Addition of What?

Another SPS Coral?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As aquarists we all have to think outside the box when we have unexplained deaths or the signs of declining health.
we don't know where the tipping scale is where this starts to happen.
yes as simple as adding a coral in your tank may start this chain of events in the chemistry of the water.
have you ever read posts where all it takes is a person to put their arm in the water and you notice your acros respond to this? Well now add a new coral, epoxy, glue and the added length of time you are in the water.
this is also why I stated doing a bunch of water changes may not be a good idea (unless he is doing it with triton pure salt). Chemistry
as they say, let it rest and it may come around.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back