Triton results from fresh salt mix (a lot of Silicon, Zinc, Iron!) And questions about RODI filter priority...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the 2015x10 is definitely wrong?

As for the DI. There is no way to know now that Im using the previous chamber and am running two DI. Im ordering a second meter and and extra chamber. So next week ill prob set it up: Filter-Filter-Carbon-DI-Di

Yes, way too low. The tds of seawater is about 50,000 ppm.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tds is not zero, you either need to replace the di or add another in series. Might be other things useful too, but that’s the minimum prescription.

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tds is not zero, you either need to replace the di or add another in series. Might be other things useful too, but that’s the minimum prescription.

Yup yup. What I set up this morning has two, so I'm getting 4-7 after the first DI and 0 (thankfully) after the second DI.

Over the years I've heard people say 2-4 is acceptable but I've always shot for 0. I assume you don't like anything above 0 as well?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, it's best to check your tap water TDS and compare that to the first meter in your RO/DI loops (assuming it is setup correctly). Your RO/DI should go sediment filter > carbon > RO membrane > DI resin. The first meter in the loop should be after the RO membrane and the second one in the loop should be after the DI resin.

Use your handheld to compare the tap to post RO membrane. Your post RO membrane should be in the neighborhood of 98+% lower than the tap, if not, you either have something connected incorrectly or your RO membrane may be toast.

lazidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preview
Are there ever any problems diluting Triton elements with RODI or distilled water for the purpose of using dosing pumps? I am aware of the debate for the necessity of some of these to be dosed at all.
Particularly
Bromine, Boron, Fluoride, Barium, Molybdenum, Nickel, Manganese, Chromium, Cobalt, Iron, Copper, Tin, Zinc, Vanadium, Silver, Bromine

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you may have hit on a possibility in one of your earlier posts OP.

I'd check your salt mix/storage bucket for any clamps, screws, or pump magnets that may be corroding.
Manganese is often alloyed with steel as a corrosive protectant. Obv iron in steel. Zinc has a similar common use, often in galvanized steel.

That's 3 of your 4 concerns. I think I saw RHF even advise someone to inspect their float switch for corrosion recently.

Last edited:

lazidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preview
Are there ever any problems diluting Triton elements with RODI or distilled water for the purpose of using dosing pumps? I am aware of the debate for the necessity of some of these to be dosed at all.
Particularly
Bromine, Boron, Fluoride, Barium, Molybdenum, Nickel, Manganese, Chromium, Cobalt, Iron, Copper, Tin, Zinc, Vanadium, Silver, Bromine

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd check your salt mix/storage bucket for any clamps, screws, or pump magnets that may be corroding.

Yeah, im just going to swap everything out. The pump is probably 5 or six years old. The heater is at least 3. The Brute and float valve are only about a year but I might just replace them as well. considering how inexpensive they are.

Since im currently planning a new build, it gives me an excuse to set up a small mixing station... if i can find the room. (Brute is usually wheeled away when not in use.)

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back