triton results tin and chromium very high maybe from bad water source water?

tokigami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i have a full blown sps system and my corals where looking horrible.

i did a Triton test and it found very high levels of tin and chromium. i checked for rusty magnets and could not find them anywhere.

what i did notice is my rodi system the sediment filter which is the first filter was straight black.

could the chromium and tin be coming from the tap water and my rodi system not flushing it out because the sediment filter hasn't been changed in 6 months. the tds coming out of my tap is 250.

or do you think i have something rusting in my tank i just cant find or its the rodi system not working great. i since changed the all filters on the rodi and did a 50 % water change. i am going to do a few more water changes and then send another Triton in.

Triton results attached

Attachments

• triton.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 134

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would seem like an odd set of metals to get through an RODI, but might be from a metal part in the RO/DI, or in the tank water.

FWIW, I'm not sure either is high enough to be an actual problem, but reducing them is a good plan. If you cannot find the source, something like Cuprisorb, metasorb, or a Boyd polyfilter may be appropriate.

OP
OP
tokigami

tokigami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Ro/Di TDS of the effluent 0 ppm? If so, the other attributes are relatively unimportant in this context.

Hi randy- i did not change any of the rodi filters because the dts meter aways reads 0. but for some reason i think tin and chromium dont get picked up in TDS. my sediment filter was literally black and probably killed my carbon filters and membranes,

i changed all stages of rodi sytem and did 50% water change. i will do another 50% and send another triton in.

based on my triton you are saying the tin and chromium levels shouldnt affect my sps?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tin and chromium will be picked up by a conductivity meter, but most importantly, they will never be the main things coming in with drinkable tap water, so there will be far more sodium, chloride, etc. around and those will boost TDS too.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to the levels, it is impossible to gauge the effects of trace metals by concentration alone, since the actual form matters a lot and ICp cannot give that info.

But I have seen people with values like that without appreciable issues.

I'd relook for any metal parts in the tank.

OP
OP
tokigami

tokigami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally checked every magnet and opened and cleaned every pump. i checked all frag rack magnets as well.

there is no trace of metal or magnets rusting. i really wonder how i got this tin and chromium. im tempted to rip whole tank apart and start new.

i will finish 100 percent water change and then send in another triton to see if i still have tin and chromium

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tin might come from many sources, including possibly PVC and the glass itself, but that's not typically ascribed as a possible source of chromium.

OP
OP
tokigami

tokigami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy

yes there is a float switch in the rodi system? should i check that for rust?

also i found this i double checked everything after you told me to check again. and i found rust on this propeller. seems like it was blowing rust directly into the tank. do you think this is enough rust to pollute a 360 gallon system?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy

yes there is a float switch in the rodi system? should i check that for rust?

also i found this i double checked everything after you told me to check again. and i found rust on this propeller. seems like it was blowing rust directly into the tank. do you think this is enough rust to pollute a 360 gallon system?

Some have found a rusting wing nut on their float switch.

Did you mean to post a picture of the propeller?

OP
OP
tokigami

tokigami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some have found a rusting wing nut on their float switch.

Did you mean to post a picture of the propeller?

yes i did here is a pic. do you think this is enough to hurt a 360 gallon system. my sps looks like it is drying out. then slowly. retract polyps and then slowly die. while others are just randomly stn over night.

i did like 4 back to back 20% water changes using tropic marine pro salt... i am hoping this turn around as i just cant seem to figure out what the issue is. i checked the float valve its not rusting yet. \\

31162346_10214883484227924_4137845143065591808_o.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that could be the source.

The chromium value, for example is 5 ug/L. In 360 gallons, that is still only 7 milligrams total chromium.

That said, it also might not be the source, or only part of it.

OP
OP
tokigami

tokigami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that could be the source.

The chromium value, for example is 5 ug/L. In 360 gallons, that is still only 7 milligrams total chromium.

That said, it also might not be the source, or only part of it.

so this may be source/ combined with not changing my rodi unit maybe its the combo of the 2. anyway i will do 100 percent water change over next few days and then resend in the triton. whatever is going on my sps is suffering.

thanks for your time and your answers.

Back