Triton says I have Tin! How to remove it!

RaeRae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tin is out the roof and I have nothing rusting in my tank or any signs of rust. I dose with a kalkwasser for an auto top off. It's not a BRS kalkwasser just a garden variety I bought at walmart. Have used it for years in my previous tanks and never had problems. So don't know if that is my source or not. My other sources could come from some man-made rock that I have had in the tank since I purchased it. Or I went to Lowe's and made my own screen cover using the what I believe is aluminum frame and the plastic mesh to stop the fish from jumping out. my question is what can I use to safely remove tin from my display? I am running a poly filter and that does not seem to be pulling the tin out. Should I use puregen or Cuprisorb?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe purigen will remove it. As to where it is coming from I am not sure. Check all of your pumps and magnets and clean all of your equipment and the sump.

OP
OP
RaeRae

RaeRae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the tank is a fairly new tank about 4 months old. I just noticed that several of the corals were not doing good. I have had a hard time with hammers frogspawns and brains. Zoanthids seem to be the only thing that are going strong and growing in the tank. The magnet is brand new that I clean the glass with. The skimmer is brand new. The powerheads are brand new.

PaulH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tin was high too. the hinges on door to sump were rusty. got new ones, painted with a rubber spray paint. two months later. test from Triton all was good.

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tin can come from pvc and even the aquarium glass- but it won't keep emitting it. Water changes are the best way to get rid of it.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t done an ICP in a long time. But, there are lots of high tin threads out there. Here’s one:

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the water changes. I had the same thing when my tank was new. After several water changes it was removed and has not returned.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lots of great advice above!

One other thing to check is your sand....some black sand can hold metals. Drag a magnet over it to just be sure its not that.

Good luck in you search and keep us updated!

OP
OP
RaeRae

RaeRae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice guys. Going to check my heater now and see if I see any condensation on the inside of it. I also had bad levels of ZN which is zinc, l i which is lithium Trace and iron. I'm thinking of using the Puregen but also might go the route of the Triton detox. But I am not sure if the Triton detox is reef safe. I have corals and cleaner shrimp and a cleanup crew in there

Last edited:

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I traced my problem to the green tubing that came with my Red Sea Reefer 170.
You mentioned your tank is new. Is it a relatively small volume tank?
I found tin also coming from 2 skimmers, PVC pipe and a kalk reactor.

OP
OP
RaeRae

RaeRae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not brand new. Just new to me. Skimmer is new. Still can't find a product that states it removes TIN! Any help would be greatly appreciated

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metasorb and cuprisorb both say they do it, but its not on the description. However, neither will do it as well as water changes.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried cuprisorb, metasorb, polyfilter, carbon and Continuum Power Cleanse, consecutively during a 10 day period with several of them overlapping. My tin actually went up during this time. But this doesn't mean that they don't work....it could be that tin was leaching into the tank faster than it can be removed.

FWIIW...I didn't see tin listed on the labels of any of these products. Keep in mind that there is a "pecking order" for elements to be adsorbed by these products. As far as I have heard, nobody knows what this order is or if tin is even on the list. (It probably is, though). Keep in mind that these products may throw off the balance of your trace elements. I would recommend a couple of major water changes after using them.

Since Jack Kent (CEO of Continuum) sent me a free bottle of Power Cleanse, I am in the process of a more controlled study (for his information and mine). I recently sent out 2 samples: one "control" known to have tin and the second was the same water with Power Cleanse added (for 2 days). I should be getting these results back soon.

Power Cleanse looks like, and is probably the same as, Cuprisorb (a mixture of 2 resins) but the Power Cleanse comes in much larger bottles and a much larger volume is recommended.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tin is out the roof and I have nothing rusting in my tank or any signs of rust. I dose with a kalkwasser for an auto top off. It's not a BRS kalkwasser just a garden variety I bought at walmart. Have used it for years in my previous tanks and never had problems. So don't know if that is my source or not. My other sources could come from some man-made rock that I have had in the tank since I purchased it. Or I went to Lowe's and made my own screen cover using the what I believe is aluminum frame and the plastic mesh to stop the fish from jumping out. my question is what can I use to safely remove tin from my display? I am running a poly filter and that does not seem to be pulling the tin out. Should I use puregen or Cuprisorb?

What value exactly? many people have tin that is elevated, but not high enough to cause apparent issues.

OP
OP
RaeRae

RaeRae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hear it is.

Screenshot_20201026-095337.png

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried cuprisorb, metasorb, polyfilter, carbon and Continuum Power Cleanse, consecutively during a 10 day period with several of them overlapping. My tin actually went up during this time. But this doesn't mean that they don't work....it could be that tin was leaching into the tank faster than it can be removed.

FWIIW...I didn't see tin listed on the labels of any of these products. Keep in mind that there is a "pecking order" for elements to be adsorbed by these products. As far as I have heard, nobody knows what this order is or if tin is even on the list. (It probably is, though). Keep in mind that these products may throw off the balance of your trace elements. I would recommend a couple of major water changes after using them.

Since Jack Kent (CEO of Continuum) sent me a free bottle of Power Cleanse, I am in the process of a more controlled study (for his information and mine). I recently sent out 2 samples: one "control" known to have tin and the second was the same water with Power Cleanse added (for 2 days). I should be getting these results back soon.

Power Cleanse looks like, and is probably the same as, Cuprisorb (a mixture of 2 resins) but the Power Cleanse comes in much larger bottles and a much larger volume is recommended.
Hey Dr. Jim - just got a ATI ICP with elevated Tin, and been reading some threads. How did this test of Power Cleanse go? Seems like cuprisrob and metasorb are hit or miss, or are least inconclusive for removing Tin. Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dr. Jim - just got a ATI ICP with elevated Tin, and been reading some threads. How did this test of Power Cleanse go? Seems like cuprisrob and metasorb are hit or miss, or are least inconclusive for removing Tin. Thanks!

How high?

One potential issue with tin is there can be many chemical forms with different properties.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back