Triton says I have Tin! How to remove it!

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high?

One potential issue with tin is there can be many chemical forms with different properties.
Hi Randy - it is 24.67 µg/l on the ATI test. Not as high as some other numbers on threads I've seen, but before I start adding acros, I'd like to get it down. No other high metals, so I don't think I have something rusting, and it doesn't seem to be coming from my RO, or RO storage bin, as the ATI RODI test shows zero Tin. It is a brand new system (about 7 months) and 600g of new PVC, so from what I've read it could be leaching from the new PVC pipes...

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dr. Jim - just got a ATI ICP with elevated Tin, and been reading some threads. How did this test of Power Cleanse go? Seems like cuprisrob and metasorb are hit or miss, or are least inconclusive for removing Tin. Thanks!
Power Cleanse was the only material that I did a somewhat "controlled" experiment with. (i.e. measured the tin with ICP tests before and after the addition of the Power Cleanse). There was no significant improvement with this product.
All the other products I mentioned were not "controlled" experiments but they didn't seem to help either. I concluded that the only way to lower the tin is to find and eliminate the source and do a lot of water changes. Plastics, without a doubt, were the culprits for me, especially plastic tubing.

rudrasreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Struggling with same TIN contamination issue. I have read that frozen food (brine shrimp) does have TIN. Can anyone confirm. Trying to figure out the source of the pollutant. My tank is around 9 months old. Source RO water doesn't report TIN.
Planning couple of water changes. Any suggestions appreciated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Struggling with same TIN contamination issue. I have read that frozen food (brine shrimp) does have TIN. Can anyone confirm. Trying to figure out the source of the pollutant. My tank is around 9 months old. Source RO water doesn't report TIN.

I've not heard that any food is a substantial contributor to problematic tin levels. What level do you observe?

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider plastics, especially vinyl tubing if you use it. That was the culprit for me.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask what’s wrong with your tank? Besides this test you got that shows it? What ill effects are you experiencing that leads you to believe there’s a problem??? I’m really blown away by how many people do these test and get results and go chasing stuff that was never a issue the last 30 years before these so called “TESTS” were available… I say “so called” because each one varies from company to company.. keep up with regular water changes and none of this should be of concern.. I mean even if you don’t change water it’s still done without these tests… curios…..

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back