Triton system new tank build, stand build, A fair amount of DIY in here.

OP
OP
N

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....and mounted to the tank stand. I had to move the fan to the inside of the cabinet as the verticals mount in that area. Pardon the wiring mess, I hadn't tidied up the power bar wiring yet, they had to also be moved to accommodate the verticals.

photo_2019-07-27_21-51-21.jpg photo_2019-07-27_21-53-52.jpg photo_2019-07-27_21-53-56.jpg

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great, glad to see you got a system you're happy with after the vista
only thing I'd be worried about is the chaeto eventually blocking the refugium weir box in some form or fashion (never know what might happen) so it might be good to install some mesh between the weir and the chaeto as a redundancy

For your overflows, the pf-1000, I assume you are not doing herbie/bean animal or any of the fancy name ones? are either of your drain pipes at full siphon?

OP
OP
N

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great, glad to see you got a system you're happy with after the vista
only thing I'd be worried about is the chaeto eventually blocking the refugium weir box in some form or fashion (never know what might happen) so it might be good to install some mesh between the weir and the chaeto as a redundancy

For your overflows, the pf-1000, I assume you are not doing herbie/bean animal or any of the fancy name ones? are either of your drain pipes at full siphon?
The chaeto cannot make it over the vertical water flow column to get to the weir, if it does manage that it would sink to the bottom of the tank. However as nothing is guaranteed in this universe, I'll take a look at your suggestion. It's a good idea.

As to the overflows. No, I have not implemented the herbie or herbie/bean systems. The system is relatively quiet so that part isn't a problem. The Eshopps overflows actually are quite good, and they don't make much noise in their default configuration. I quieted them a bit more by attaching a 2 inch long bit of air tubing to the inserts that fit into the bulkheads. If you are concerned about fail safes then that is covered. If the power goes out there is a check valve in the return line, just above the pump. The overflow boxes empty to just below the overflow box internal baffle but still keep the overflow tubes in full siphon. When the power comes back up the system starts up real smooth. (Part of this is due to the pump having a gradual spool up rate so it doesn't just bang on the head pressure.) There is adequate room in the main sump to handle the drain from the system when the power goes out. There is also a siphon break on the return line as a fail safe to the check valve.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back