Triton Tank Pictures

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of trying the Triton method. I have been searching for pictures of tanks that use this method and have not found much. I'm sure someone here can point me in the proper direction or post pictures of their tank. You know what they say...a picture is worth a thousand words. I am most interested in established tanks with good coral growth...not new setups. Thank you!

Iam_Mitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do Triton method. So far I’m a fan of it. I’ve had high Zinc the last 2 ICP tests and they have been very responsive in helping me find the culprit. Here are some photos. Tank is 125g. Corals growing well. Tank is a year old mixed reef. Sorry for the bad photos.
5153EEDE-2582-4494-95D8-7ABFB732C2CC.jpeg
88251B56-E6DF-492F-B15A-FF1DBC245897.jpeg
9BE9CFC8-5C52-4D47-9719-F8B7EFD291D1.jpeg
354244CA-04D3-4563-AEF0-C62370013FA4.jpeg
9C1FC3C1-0B01-4690-91B6-A23187E50599.jpeg
8CA6C3EB-1EAB-49D4-82C5-16F8B8E423B8.jpeg

Travis Warren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run Triton for 2.5 years and had my tank up now for 3.5 years. I like it but in past few months started dosing KZ products and coral and fish has really colored up a lot.

JPEG_1596676759074.jpeg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that a pic is worth a thousand words.
However I dont know if thats a fair assessment to use in the Triton Methods case alone.

I say this because there are many factors outside of just the dosing method, that majorly contribute to a beautiful healthy tank.

Such as:
Proper maintenance.
Lighting.
Feeding type and schedule.
Filtration.
RO/DI water
Salt mix.
Livestock.
Livestock load

I am using the Triton method and if I remember when I get to work I will take a current picture and post it.

What I can tell you though, and this can't be photographed.
Is that my paramiters are stable.
As far as my trace elements go they also are stabilizing very well over time and nothing is in the danger zone or way out of spec, anymore.

This is what Triton can do, yet no picture will reflect that as its on the molecular level so to speak.

My point here is Triton and its success is proved moreover by water colum testing, and the posted results on the tests.

Pictures of Triton results would be best served as before and after implementation of the method on an established tank. This way you would be seeing direct results.

OP
OP
ddrueckh

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K7BMG, thank you for your detailed reply. I agree that there are many factors that contribute to a successful tank! I believe, however, that stability of major elements and the addition of trace elements is very important. I think it can be photographed. If a tank is not stable it will not look good. If it is stable, it is one factor that contributes to a beautiful tank. I see a lot of beautiful tanks online but I don’t see any that use the Triton method. I know lots of people moved away from Triton when they had supply and packaging issues and I believe that is the reason why not many people are using it. It would just be nice to see some beautiful tanks that use their system.

Travis Warren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did a series on changing to Triton and the outcome. You are correct my tank I spend about 6 every Sunday cleaning, fragging, etc and feed heavy since I have fish that eat 4 times a day. Jason Fix said it best. Saltwater Tanks you can't put on the shelf and forget about you are married to it if you are going to make it. I like Triton for consistency of major and trace elements. I water change 40 gallons every 5 weeks and 40 gallons for my sump 2 weeks after that.

Carpenter Wayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with most people on the matter of it isn't just a method in a thriving reef. I'm far from being an expert, much less even called a hobbiest. I've only been in the saltwater hobby for 14 months. Been running the Triton method for most of it, would have been the entire time, but the person I was paying to help me build my tank, didn't know what they were doing. Started out with 3 maxspect ethereal lights on my 125 gallon. Wasn't happy with them for multiple reasons. Changed to 3 Orphex Atlantik compacts. What a difference, all good from set up to growth. Back to the main topic, Triton method is what I would only recommend for someone such as myself. I finally jumped into this crazy hobby, only after being afraid of the reef idea for 25 plus years. I still started out knowing crap about anything in reefing. Triton gives you a sense of assurance in something, with a hobby that has so many ways to do everything little thing. Not to mention the vast difference of opinions on everything little thing and everyone is right, no matter in amount of success and/or experience. For me the frosting on the cake was when I found an article about Triton and the Triton Method written from an outside source, speaking of the different types of methods used in the reefing hobby. Went on to say there was only one method out there to have a 100% success rate when following the method to a tee, that was my driving fact towards the Triton method.

20200823_191608.jpg

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use triton other and my sps are coloring and growing great, the main issue I have is the alk can never keep up without increasing mag and calcium to high, it’s always been that way. May be potentially switching to Reef Pro on my new build coming up plus dosing triton gets expensive on 300 gallons.

I really think they need to up potency on 3a and 3b as others have the same issue. I have to add a manual does of alk every week no matter what

Carpenter Wayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton recommends Tropic Marine reef salt for their method, which alkalinity with that salt has a alkalinity of 7dkh out of the box. Not sure what salt you are using or what you want your alkalinity at, but Triton recommends the alkalinity to be at 7dkh. I've never had a problem keeping that. You stated it gets pricey, not sure what you mean by that. Since starting the Triton method I've been all in, have not done a water change in over a year now and my salinity has not dropped in that time. Saving the time and money with water changes are huge, not to mention the amount I've saved on filters for my rodi system. I have 2 separate tanks on this method, main tank with sump is approximately 135 gal and my frag tank with sump is approximately 75 gal. I always hear people such as yourself talking about how much it costs, so I figured out what I spent to run my systems on the Triton method. Here is my breakdown for my two tanks running the Triton Method at 100%.
I figured out cost of trace elements per ml. (for example: 1,000ml Bromine is $45 = 0.045¢ per ml or 100ml Nickel is $32 = 0.32¢ per ml) dosing every element on their list rated from 5 to 1 stars, costs $87.50 for the one test every 3 months. Figuring weekly dosing the same way, which come to $1.78 x 3months= $21.36. I go through one bulk kit of Triton Core7 in 9 months, kit $147÷3= $49 for 3 months worth. I get the 6pk of Triton test kit for $270÷6= $45 every 3 months. Triton Carbon, I get the largest one from BRS for $95. I switch out 2 media bags in my main tank and 1 canister reactor in my frag tank every 2 to 4 weeks using a whole box up in a 3 month period. I replace RowaPhos out every 2 weeks, both run in a reactor, RowaPhos costs me $162 for 3 months.

Both Tanks:
Main dosing $87.50
Weekly dosing $21.36
Triton Core7 $49.00
Test kit $45.00
Triton Carbon $95.00
RowaPhos $162

For me to run the Triton method for 3 month my total cost is $459.86 plus tax (here is $0.056) = a Grand Total for 3 months to $485.62.

$161.87 per month to run the Triton Method at 100%, not to lose fish or chicken, saving money on salt, while providing my pets with the best available environment possible (priceless). Most reefers will probably spend $50 a month trying to replace a fish or coral in a month that is not on the Triton method. Then another $50 on salt, that does water changes every 2 weeks,⁵ hoping their water is being filtered the same each water change, which is impossible on a molecule level. With every water change, the water in the tank changes slightly each and every time. Not sure what other dosing methods cost or what the cost difference might be for the rodi filters. The Triton Method is also the only method out, that has a 100% success rate, since 1986. That is a pretty good track recorded.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton recommends Tropic Marine reef salt for their method, which alkalinity with that salt has a alkalinity of 7dkh out of the box. Not sure what salt you are using or what you want your alkalinity at, but Triton recommends the alkalinity to be at 7dkh. I've never had a problem keeping that. You stated it gets pricey, not sure what you mean by that. Since starting the Triton method I've been all in, have not done a water change in over a year now and my salinity has not dropped in that time. Saving the time and money with water changes are huge, not to mention the amount I've saved on filters for my rodi system. I have 2 separate tanks on this method, main tank with sump is approximately 135 gal and my frag tank with sump is approximately 75 gal. I always hear people such as yourself talking about how much it costs, so I figured out what I spent to run my systems on the Triton method. Here is my breakdown for my two tanks running the Triton Method at 100%.
I figured out cost of trace elements per ml. (for example: 1,000ml Bromine is $45 = 0.045¢ per ml or 100ml Nickel is $32 = 0.32¢ per ml) dosing every element on their list rated from 5 to 1 stars, costs $87.50 for the one test every 3 months. Figuring weekly dosing the same way, which come to $1.78 x 3months= $21.36. I go through one bulk kit of Triton Core7 in 9 months, kit $147÷3= $49 for 3 months worth. I get the 6pk of Triton test kit for $270÷6= $45 every 3 months. Triton Carbon, I get the largest one from BRS for $95. I switch out 2 media bags in my main tank and 1 canister reactor in my frag tank every 2 to 4 weeks using a whole box up in a 3 month period. I replace RowaPhos out every 2 weeks, both run in a reactor, RowaPhos costs me $162 for 3 months.

Both Tanks:
Main dosing $87.50
Weekly dosing $21.36
Triton Core7 $49.00
Test kit $45.00
Triton Carbon $95.00
RowaPhos $162

For me to run the Triton method for 3 month my total cost is $459.86 plus tax (here is $0.056) = a Grand Total for 3 months to $485.62.

$161.87 per month to run the Triton Method at 100%, not to lose fish or chicken, saving money on salt, while providing my pets with the best available environment possible (priceless). Most reefers will probably spend $50 a month trying to replace a fish or coral in a month that is not on the Triton method. Then another $50 on salt, that does water changes every 2 weeks,⁵ hoping their water is being filtered the same each water change, which is impossible on a molecule level. With every water change, the water in the tank changes slightly each and every time. Not sure what other dosing methods cost or what the cost difference might be for the rodi filters. The Triton Method is also the only method out, that has a 100% success rate, since 1986. That is a pretty good track recorded.

Yes I use Tropic Marin Pro salt with 10% weekly auto water changes to match DKH of 7.8

I run the triton other method so no fuge. Want I meant on the cost is I go through 5 liters every three months’, so about 880 dollars a year and will only go up with another 100 gallons added to the tank. I do submit monthly ICP test as well.

The program is great I may explore other options for my next tank

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back