Triton's RTN-X (Rapid Tissue Necrosis Inhibitor), STN-X, and CYA-NO

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if rtn-x and stn-x are the same juice? I also wonder if this is something that gets dosed to the tank, or dipped?

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone plans to try these and would like to measure what it does to the microbial community, please send me a PM. These are really interesting new products and I think the community would benefit from knowing how they affect the microbiome.

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if the manufacturers' claims are to be believed (* and I think the claims of any manufacturer who doesnt list ingredients should be viewed with great skepticism), these products don't contain antibiotics. So if they work at all, they must contain nutrients that promote the growth of some microbes and inhibit the growth of others. (If we accept that RTN/STN are microbial in nature. I know some are not convinced)

Since its very difficult to measure the levels of specific organic nutrients (e.g. how much glucose? how much glycine? etc.) but comparatively easy to measure the levels of microbes, I think measuring the effects of these new products on the microbiome would give us useful information on whether there is any plausible mechanism for them to inhibit RTN.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Interested in hearing feedback from users. Curious if they contain iodine or peroxide.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeking updates on your lyngbya thread two people inquiring, we didn't get a response

OP
OP
stacksoner

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if rtn-x and stn-x are the same juice? I also wonder if this is something that gets dosed to the tank, or dipped?

It seems like they're different products that get dosed to your tank. From what I have read, it looks like the Triton team's distinction of an RTN and STN coral killing ailments is aligned with scientific diagnostic research in this space.

OP
OP
stacksoner

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if the manufacturers' claims are to be believed (* and I think the claims of any manufacturer who doesnt list ingredients should be viewed with great skepticism)

Aside from products that contain antibiotics or chemical compounds, do any manufacturers in this industry with functional products list their ingredients?

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if they think that a particular type of bacteria (vibrio) is the cause and they have found a way to target vibrio with their product?

Cant wait to see some actual science for this stuff.

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from products that contain antibiotics or chemical compounds, do any manufacturers in this industry with functional products list their ingredients?
Well I'm having a hard time finding an exception to your statement as written; theyre all chemical compounds, right? :)

Certainly the makers of e.g. sodium carbonate or calcium chloride supplements tell us whats in them. As a hobbyist, I expect the same from manufacturers of any product theyre suggesting I put in my tank.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm having a hard time finding an exception to your statement as written; theyre all chemical compounds, right? :)

Certainly the makers of e.g. sodium carbonate or calcium chloride supplements tell us whats in them. As a hobbyist, I expect the same from manufacturers of any product theyre suggesting I put in my tank.

It would seem that they need to first state what they think the direct cause for RTN and STN to be.

I mean, is this stuff glue?

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rarely. Also sadly rare is practical testing before release.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the over/under that it smells like vinegar? I bet it’s something to do with bacteria growth.

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would seem that they need to first state what they think the direct cause for RTN and STN to be.

I mean, is this stuff glue?
Yeah, thats a good point. Even without giving away their recipe, it would be nice to at least hear "X causes RTN and we have a medication that kills X".

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, thats a good point. Even without giving away their recipe, it would be nice to at least hear "X causes RTN and we have a medication that kills X".
And we still don’t really know what they are doing with their icp!

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't download the MSDS or the documantation to either product - they don't seem to be links. If one of you have, could you share.

I would really love these, and all products, to work and do what they say- extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidnece and stuff.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Says in product description:
RTN-X is a rapid tissue necrosis inhibitor which will aid against bacterial types of rapid tissue necrosis.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back