Triton's RTN-X (Rapid Tissue Necrosis Inhibitor), STN-X, and CYA-NO

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that is market speak and doesn't really provide any information. I am fine with market speak, but I think the information should also be available.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it to be used? Doses to the tank or coral dipped in it? If it’s a dip, it’s probably just antibacterial. Iodine maybe?

Catching RTN in time to dip or frag isn’t easy. It happens rapidly.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calculator is here as well https://www.triton-lab.de/en/calculators/rtnx-stnx

Putting in my tank values, I get this.

RTN-X Dosage Intense
1. Add 0.00 ml of NO Beta and 0.00 ml of P Beta or Alpha to your Aquarium.

2. Wait 20 min.

3. Take 200 ml of aquarium water out of your tank and dose 2.00 ml of RTN-X to it. Mix and wait 20 min.

4. Shut down all circulation pumps (reduce current as much as possible).

5. Pour prepared solution around the area of RTN creating a cloud that surrounds the coral. If the coral is positioned deep in the tank.

then it may need to be targeted with a syringe.

6. Leave for a minimum of 5 minutes before turning circulation pumps back on.

7. Important: After intensive treatment, dose the daily dosage amount for 21 days.

RTN-X Dosage Daily
To prevent RTN dose daily 0.42 ml.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This kind of feels like a KZ flatworm stop type of product that promotes heath of the acorpora to defend against irritants, whether they be flatworms, bug or bacteria.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This kind of feels like a KZ flatworm stop type of product that promotes heath of the acorpora to defend against irritants, whether they be flatworms, bug or bacteria.

I was thinking the same thing. If flatworm stop can make it difficult for a worm to bite the coral, maybe it can also affect a bacteria?

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone plans to try this product and wants to test the effects on bacterial communities, send me a message.

The instructions above are really interesting. A while back we did some unpublished experiments inducing RTN in corals using a specific cultured strain of Vibrio. We arrived at the same procedure as they describe here -- gently deposit the cloud of bacteria around the coral, without circulation. In our case it was to induce disease but in this case apparently they intend a probiotic effect. Still, my point is that this general procedure seems from experience like an effective way of getting bacteria onto corals.

Which leads to the obvious question of which bacteria?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If anyone plans to try this product and wants to test the effects on bacterial communities, send me a message.

The instructions above are really interesting. A while back we did some unpublished experiments inducing RTN in corals using a specific cultured strain of Vibrio. We arrived at the same procedure as they describe here -- gently deposit the cloud of bacteria around the coral, without circulation. In our case it was to induce disease but in this case apparently they intend a probiotic effect. Still, my point is that this general procedure seems from experience like an effective way of getting bacteria onto corals.

Which leads to the obvious question of which bacteria?
I might try the CYA-NO? I have some cyano from too much Selcon use, but will try manually clearing it out first, but if that doesn't work, I may give it a shot.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Too busy to create a separate thread, but long story short. CYA-NO didn't work in my case. I saw some improvement, but not enough to make a difference. I used Chemiclean instead and it cleared the cyano up in less than two days. They do mention that it may not work on certain strains of cyano, mine being one of them.

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too busy to create a separate thread, but long story short. CYA-NO didn't work in my case. I saw some improvement, but not enough to make a difference. I used Chemiclean instead and it cleared the cyano up in less than two days. They do mention that it may not work on certain strains of cyano, mine being one of them.
I have a new test for identifying nuisance algae. Your case sounds like a useful example.

If anyone tries these products, and would like to do some testing of their effects on bacteria or algae, please message me.

Whasmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright - So 21 Days ago, I got in STN-X & a bacteria collection kit from @AquaBiomics .
The background of this was I started to get some STN at the base of my Red Planet colony. It's in a nutrient-heavy 300g system (15-20ppm nitrate & 0.3 p04). I suspect it could be from adding a small amount of GFO to my system, but the STN continued even after I pulled it offline.
In my system, I've found carbon dosing to be ineffective - every time I start to dose on the heavier side (30 mL of vinegar, also tried a vodka/vinegar blend) I start to see STN also. I also never see nitrates go down.
Anyway - so I thought I'd give this product a go. I did apply a bacteria product prior to getting this in. (Dr. Tim's Eco-Balance - about 1/2 dose mixed with 1L of tank water for an hour. Kill all the flow & slowly bast the mixture around the areas of STN.)
As of today - the STN has stopped awhile ago& the parts that are in the light, are re-growing again. I took swab samples at the site of the STN & will take another one at the same spots for analysis.

IMG_1350.jpg IMG_1364.jpg IMG_1431.jpg IMG_1432.jpg IMG_1433.jpg

Ethan Zier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates since the previous post? I have flesh receding slowly on my hammers after they split. I believe its the same stuff that affected my candy canes recently. I saved the candy canes with a mix or Coral RX and hydrogen peroxide, doing a medical bath every other day. Id like to give this a try but I'm worried about unintended consiquenses.

Back