Trochus Snails Dying 1 by 1 - Plz Help

reddington

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 20 Gallon Reef Tank. Starting last week, my Trochus snails are starting to end up on their back and eventually dying 1 by 1. Within the last 7 days, I've lost about 5 or 6 of my 10.... My fish and anem are fine however: 2 clownfish + 1 anthia. Anyone ever experienced this?

My water parameters are stable and relatively unchanged. I do weekly water changes. I also see plenty of algae / diatoms in the tank for them to eat so I do not believe it is a food shortage issue.... Any help / insight is appreciated.

Note: I have 10 Nassarius snails in my tank and they are doing just fine and none have died. This problem appears to be unique to ONLY the Trochus.

Water Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 8
Salinity: 1.026

Last edited:

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 20 Gallon Reef Tank. Starting last week, my Trochus snails are starting to end up on their back and eventually dying 1 by 1. Within the last 7 days, I've lost about 5 or 6 of my 10.... My fish and anem are fine however: 2 clownfish + 1 anthia. Anyone ever experienced this?

My water parameters are stable and relatively unchanged. I do weekly water changes. I also see plenty of algae / diatoms in the tank for them to eat so I do not believe it is a food shortage issue.... Any help / insight is appreciated.
can I please have a photo of the tank quickly? I don't think trochus eat diatomaceous algae, not sure though.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Water Parameters:
Since you have diatoms is it a new tank? Pics of brown algae please. High magnesium can hurt inverts to or copper in the tank.

OP
OP
R

reddington

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have diatoms is it a new tank? Pics of brown algae please. High magnesium can hurt inverts to or copper in the tank.
Hi there. Please see attached pics.

1675624723417.png
1675624779208.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

Water Parameters:
Salinity: 1.026
I have a feeling its nitrates despite water changes and also suspect (correct me if wrong)- you are using Api kit which is notorious for false test readings hence the low price for a master kit. Also, is this a newer tank? If so you will have spikes here and there which they do not endure the best.
How did you acclimate them to tank and for how long ?

OP
OP
R

reddington

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling its nitrates despite water changes and also suspect (correct me if wrong)- you are using Api kit which is notorious for false test readings hence the low price for a master kit. Also, is this a newer tank? If so you will have spikes here and there which they do not endure the best.
How did you acclimate them to tank and for how long ?
I use Hanna Checker and test Nitrate once every 3 days + log it. My avg range is from 7-9. It has not exceeded 10.

Yes this is a relatively newer tank. Approx 1.5-2 months old. In terms of acclimation, float/temp for 30 mins then did 30 min drip. However, its been well over 2 weeks since I received them. Could poor acclimation still be a potential reason despite them being 2+ weeks in my tank before dying? Thank you so much.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use Hanna Checker and test Nitrate once every 3 days + log it. My avg range is from 7-9. It has not exceeded 10.

Yes this is a relatively newer tank. Approx 1.5-2 months old. In terms of acclimation, float/temp for 30 mins then did 30 min drip. However, its been well over 2 weeks since I received them. Could poor acclimation still be a potential reason despite them being 2+ weeks in my tank before dying? Thank you so much.
Often they need long acclimation not to say its a cause but often losses of this nature is duw to :
Poor acclimation
spikes
starvation
Low calcium
aggression from fish who love snail meat (predators)
Temperature too warm
Ph too low

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the snails are small and if they invade the clownfish territory, the clownfish may move them and turn them over in the process. Of course that's not good for trochus snails. Other fish species(which you do not have) will attack and eat the snail when upside down.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back