Tropic Marin All-For-Reef: Any downsides to it?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the ICP?
Here it is might be hard to see it got small on this download

E4633AF6-6E53-40AD-9FE8-AA79777E402E.png EFFA1E47-E171-4A24-9B26-D79EF912A08C.png

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff the corals love @Lou Ekus !

My question to you and other users is how are you dosing it over the course of the day? Right now I have it dosing starting at 0900 and every hour on the hour until the last dose at 1600 (individual dosing option on GHL doser allows only 8 dosing times per day; I can switch to automatic dosing which I could dose every hour around the clock). Soon I will likely be up to 15-16mL a day and climbing. Is anybody dosing every hour on the hour around the clock or should we keep it restricted to the ~12 hours of lights ON? Somewhere I thought I read it should be dosed during photoperiod, asking for clarification. Seems it would be best spread out over the day but I also don't have automated alk testing so I'm unsure how my alk fluctuates through the day and night.

U

User1

View Badges

My question to you and other users is how are you dosing it over the course of the day? Right now I have it dosing starting at 0900 and every hour on the hour until the last dose at 1600 (individual dosing option on GHL doser allows only 8 dosing times per day; I can switch to automatic dosing which I could dose every hour around the clock). Soon I will likely be up to 15-16mL a day and climbing. Is anybody dosing every hour on the hour around the clock or should we keep it restricted to the ~12 hours of lights ON? Somewhere I thought I read it should be dosed during photoperiod, asking for clarification. Seems it would be best spread out over the day but I also don't have automated alk testing so I'm unsure how my alk fluctuates through the day and night.

Originally I was dosing over 24 hours. Then in one of the conversations about the product in the chemistry forum it was suggested to dose it when the corals are feeding and/or lights are on. Now I start dosing at 0800 and run through 2200. Seems to work ok although I'm out at the moment and the carbo calcium stuff arrives tomorrow so will be making another batch!

It is great stuff by the way.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some new coral a few weeks back. My consumption was low at 8ml a day but it's going to be double that probably by tomorrow morning. The corals responded so well to this stuff I think I'm only about 400mL in on the 10L DIY kit. Maybe I will just space the doses out through the photoperiod then. I have it starting at 9AM then every hour with the last dose at 4PM. GHL gives you the option for 8 doses daily if on individual setting [where you chose the times], or up to 24 doses in a day on automated setting but then it just divides it over the entire day rather than your set time. I could space my 8 individual doses during the lights on period to start at 9AM and dose every 1.5 hours which would give my last dose at 7:30 PM.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose every other hour in a 24 hour period about 16ml on my 75g Alk has been stable at 8.6 dkh. Corals and coralline algae growing well.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think that the individual dosing regime is a very "fine point" and maybe has less influence then the convenience of a particular dosing regime would introduce. What I mean by that is that the product seems to work well if dosed in a single daily dose, or spread out during the day. What has more influence on results is the circumstances that are specific to your system and make it easy for you to continue regular usage. Then, of course, there are the factors that are specific to your system. Some systems will drop in Ca and alkalinity very quickly, others more slowly. Some will need additional alkalinity supplement and some will not.
At the end of the day it really depends on how your system runs. If you have good automatic dosing equipment, and do some experimentation with different dosing timing regimes, and you find that your system responds better with one than the other, then certainly use what seems to work best. But I think you will find only extremely subtle differences. And those differences in results will be more dependent on the specifics of your particular system, rather than an overall "better or more effective" dosing regime schedule for all systems.

chefbuddy24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any word on when the powder will be available stateside?

I think that the individual dosing regime is a very "fine point" and maybe has less influence then the convenience of a particular dosing regime would introduce. What I mean by that is that the product seems to work well if dosed in a single daily dose, or spread out during the day. What has more influence on results is the circumstances that are specific to your system and make it easy for you to continue regular usage. Then, of course, there are the factors that are specific to your system. Some systems will drop in Ca and alkalinity very quickly, others more slowly. Some will need additional alkalinity supplement and some will not.
At the end of the day it really depends on how your system runs. If you have good automatic dosing equipment, and do some experimentation with different dosing timing regimes, and you find that your system responds better with one than the other, then certainly use what seems to work best. But I think you will find only extremely subtle differences. And those differences in results will be more dependent on the specifics of your particular system, rather than an overall "better or more effective" dosing regime schedule for all systems.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 20 ml over 24 hrs along with kalk in my ato.
image.jpg

It works as advertised for ME. This is a 65 gallon mixed. Remember the saying be careful what you wish for. I’m running out of space and I refuting put frag racks in the display. I go through 1000ml a month dosed through a single kamoer pump. I don’t drink anymore but I can assure you that I spent more than that ($32) in a month on beer! So.......

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You literally mix it into kalkwasser, or just dose both?

Mixing it into limewater/kalkwasser should cause precipitation of magnesium hydroxide.

U

User1

View Badges
image.jpg

It works as advertised for ME. This is a 65 gallon mixed. Remember the saying be careful what you wish for. I’m running out of space and I refuting put frag racks in the display. I go through 1000ml a month dosed through a single kamoer pump. I don’t drink anymore but I can assure you that I spent more than that ($32) in a month on beer! So.......

Nice tank. I used to dose over 24 hours but I seem to recall one of my posts I mentioned that and TM suggested dosing during "lights on" as that is when the corals would consume it the most. I'm trying to go back and find my post but that is what I remember.

Not sure if it matters or not but that is how I dose now between 0500 and 1000.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using AFR for a couple weeks and really like it. Granted I dose a 20 gallon Waterbox Cube without high demand at the moment.

But I feel like a public service announcement needs to be made. Looking at now page three of questions on what it is, how it works, how to dose, and how it compares with two part, I think it needs to be said you really need to understand two part dosing before jumping in with AFR or Carbo-Calcium. All For Reef is maintenance dosing, not for individual point adjustments to Alk, Ca, Mg.

If you've mastered two part dosing (or three when you add in mag) then switching to AFR or Carbo-Calcium should be no big deal. You already know how to accurately measure and gauge the uptake of your tank. You understand why you run the DKH level you do, how nutrients play a role in the proper Alk to Ca to Mg ratios, and decided on a salt mix that matches your target parameters.

I could be crazy here, too. I'm sure some people are thinking "Hey I'll buy All For Reef and magic will happen." It's a bit more than that, and it's not complicated.

1. Get your Alk, Ca, and Mg stable at the level you want to run your tank at.
2. Dose AFR once a day, twice if you understand all this and the impact of doing so.
3. Make dosing adjustments based on Alk, not calcium, not magnesium.
4. Test your Alk at the same time of day, 24 hours after dosing.
5. If Alk is dropping, increase your dose. If Alk is rising, lower your dose. I may see a 0.1ppm to 0.2ppm fluctuation between testing and I adjust the dose accordingly.
6. If Alk dropped or raised dramatically, like near 1 point or more, I suggest not dosing AFR because consumption was not stable to begin with and you need to get back in check before maintenance dosing. Or use two part individually to bring values back in check, then monitor and adjust accordingly.

Sorry if anyone takes this as a rant. I'm really trying to help coach you on what I've learned and how I apply AFR to my tank.

thanks, don’t come across as a rant...went would you say you need to buy a doser to dose smaller amounts? Would 2mls be too much to add in one go?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using AFR for year and a half. I do have a very low demand tank and it works perfectly for me. I only have to dose a few ml every other day (assuming a 10% WC/week) and so far...I don't feel the need for a doser. Just squeeze a few ml into the measuring section and pour into the sump. Sometimes I miss a day or two, sometimes I do smaller every day. Again, very low demand tank so my inconsistencies are not vital to health. Alk/Ca/Mg easily maintained and stable.

This is my first tank (RSR170) and I've never used any other system of Ca/Alk mgmt. If someone wants to setup a low demand tank...I'd recommend AFR highly. No mixing, no doser, no timers, no reservoirs, no pumps, no muss, no fuss.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Separately, the kalk is in the top off and the all for reef is on a doser
I have a consistent ph of 8.3. When I started the AFR I stopped putting kalk in the top off. After two months of ph in the 7.9 to 7.6 range I started up the kalk again, adjusted the AFR and it’s been consistent ever since. DKH is at 9, mag at 1350 and calcium is 430 solid. The coral is starting to uptake more elements but nothing unexpected. I really like this product. I will be buying the bulk ingredients to make my own when I upsize but for now I’m beyond content with the results.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is might be hard to see it got small on this download

E4633AF6-6E53-40AD-9FE8-AA79777E402E.png EFFA1E47-E171-4A24-9B26-D79EF912A08C.png
So what do you think of those results? I got similar results on my ICP. Wondering if there is enough of the trace elements in the DIY formula for my tank and refugium with macros.
F87B212E-F87E-46C0-8C26-198E6088D4B2.jpeg

U

User1

View Badges
So what do you think of those results? I got similar results on my ICP. Wondering if there is enough of the trace elements in the DIY formula for my tank and refugium with macros.
F87B212E-F87E-46C0-8C26-198E6088D4B2.jpeg

The DIY recipe is more or less the same as the pre-made and powder formula that they are selling over in EMEA right now. I'm not sure what is in the two liquids A and K - maybe it is easy to get the list off the portal/bottle? I don't have it in front of me at the moment but will try here in a few.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DIY recipe is more or less the same as the pre-made and powder formula that they are selling over in EMEA right now. I'm not sure what is in the two liquids A and K - maybe it is easy to get the list off the portal/bottle? I don't have it in front of me at the moment but will try here in a few.
Thanks @saf1
Kinda looks like I have enough of Trace A. Those seem to be in normal range.
Tropic Marin® A- ELEMENTS contains bromine, fluorine, iodine, lithium, vanadium, molybdenum and selenium in pure mineral form.
bromine, 54.9 (low, very close to normal range)
fluorine, not tested
iodine, 0.045 (low, close to normal range)
lithium, 193 (in normal range)
vanadium, 1.92 (low, very close to normal range)
molybdenum 9.95 (low, very close to normal range)
selenium 5.33 (in normal range)

It’s the K+ that may need increasing except my potassium looks ok.
But does K+ even contain potassium? I am assuming it does because of name, but potassium is not listed.
Tropic Marin® K+ ELEMENTS contains barium, boron, chromium, cobalt, iron, copper, manganese, nickel, strontium and zinc in pure mineral form.
barium, 23 (in normal range)
boron, 3.53 (low)
chromium, n.n.
cobalt, n.n.
iron n.n.
copper 0.56 (low)
manganese, n.n.
nickel n.n.
strontium 7.99 (in normal range)
zinc 3.86 (in normal range)

I know I need iron for my macros, but not sure about some of the other elements that are n.n

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I still not really understand, is the all for reef suitable for all aquarium types? I always thought that the trace metal consumption of an aquarium is independent of the calcium balance? For example, a soft coral tank has a comparable trace metal consumption as an SPS tank, but a significantly lower cal consumption, right? How can you control that? At the end if you had to adjust often with kh or other elements,we actually still end with a two part no??

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back