Tropic Marin Classic Sea Salt issue... is this the same issue as Pro?

jujumaster89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use Tropic Marin classic sea salt and figured my issue had to be unrelated to the current Pro Reef recall. But 2-3 months ago, my mixing tank got this dark brown/redish residue. Bleach did nothing but citric acid seemed to work in making it go away. I figured it was an iron issue and checked my RODI filters which showed no browning typical of iron (I assume). I've cleaned my mixing tank top to bottom multiple times now and finally did some checking.

One of my current 'used' buckets of salt is from Turkey. I just threw a bunch of buckets out, so I don't know if I actually had more of them. I compare buckets side by side below and you'll notice that in addition to the label, you can determine the Turkish one here because it uses a plastic handle rather than metal.

Does this appear to be similar to the Pro Reef issues?

Bucket comparison.JPG Turkish Label with cracked bottom.JPG Turkish bucket.JPG Mixing Tank muck.JPG Muck on finger.JPG

OP
OP
J

jujumaster89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, prior to this residue issue, my mixing tanks had been spotless/pristine for about 2 1/2 years.

dattack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had similar issue with the tropic marin classic with a brown residue just like yours. I am unable to ascertain if my cyanobacteria bloom is because of this residue. I have tried chemiclean twice and it has only remove 50 percent of it but keeps coming back. I might have to change salts.

OP
OP
J

jujumaster89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had similar issue with the tropic marin classic with a brown residue just like yours. I am unable to ascertain if my cyanobacteria bloom is because of this residue. I have tried chemiclean twice and it has only remove 50 percent of it but keeps coming back. I might have to change salts.
Let me know if you ever figured this out. My issues seem to be in remission since I changed salt.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Let me know if you ever figured this out. My issues seem to be in remission since I changed salt.
I am also having the same issue with the TM Classic. My buckets are from Germany though.

I didn't even know they made the Classic blend in Turkey. I thought they only made TM Pro in that facility. Did you notice the residue from German buckets as well?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back