Tropic Marin ICP results, interested in opinions.

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I got ICP results back from Tropic Marin, some interesting results.
Firstly Mg is measuring 1540, I am measuring 1350 on salifert, alarming difference. I will try a different test kit on this. The other major elements were close to my own measurements.

I did an aquaforest icp about 2 months ago and it measured high Iron and Lanthanum as I would expect as I was dosing lanthanum chloride and dsr iron for phosphate control, but this test had no trace of Lanthanum, strange as I have only done 2 10 -15% water changes.

The main thing I was interested in was the section of important trace elements in their terms-Physiologically relevant trace elements.

I have low Molybdenum, Copper, Chrome and Vanadium.

Which they sell individual supplements for. Is anyone else dosing these?

I use the aquaforest balling system and their reef salt, whic is supposed to contain major and minor elements, however when I went looking for ingredients, I seen no reference to the particular elements I am low on.

What do yous think? Should I trust these results?
And are others dosing individual elements based on ICP results?

P.s. I have a young tank coral wise, its got lots of sps frags, which are doing quite well, but wouldn't say growing fast.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Mark Beattie 943.pdf
    136.7 KB · Views: 404

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used ICP analysis tests. I tried the Triton one, I was unimpressed and the time took 3x as long to get the results (20 days). By the time I had the results it was pointless. I will never again use Triton.

As for dosing elements, I use All-for-reef and when needed I will add Balling part A or B (Tropic Marin Balling). For the most part I rely in these and regular water changes.

As for copper you should have low readings or no readings. Never dose copper.

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for copper you should have low readings or no readings. Never dose copper.

Yes they do ICP, only £19.99. They recommend dosing copper, see the results I attached, along with the others I mentioned above. Obviously stay within their range.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like Triton tests are inconsistent and often don't make sense. I feel the same way about them that I did when I saw them speak at Macna, they just have a more sophisticated supplement company selling things people don't need. From the very start it has felt like a marketing company rather than a sophisticated testing lab. I know of one person that sent in samples from the same tank that was taken at the same time and got two pretty different results. Overall, it seems like a moderately useful (more or less so depending on what you're trying to achieve) service has more potential harm than good if you take their results as verbatim.

Yes, others are dosing based on test results, but many are not, it's superfluous and there's no need to dose those elements based on their test results to have a spectacular tank.

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like Triton tests are inconsistent and often don't make sense. I feel the same way about them that I did when I saw them speak at Macna, they just have a more sophisticated supplement company selling things people don't need. From the very start it has felt like a marketing company rather than a sophisticated testing lab. I know of one person that sent in samples from the same tank that was taken at the same time and got two pretty different results. Overall, it seems like a moderately useful (more or less so depending on what you're trying to achieve) service has more potential harm than good if you take their results as verbatim.

Yes, others are dosing based on test results, but many are not, it's superfluous and there's no need to dose those elements based on their test results to have a spectacular tank.

I hear what you are saying, and I think I will leave this sort of tinkering for a while. Or maybe buy some other company's individual suppliments that are cheaper for smaller bottle. I am interested to see if it has any difference on growth/colour

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back