Tropic Marin Part C vs Aquaforest Reef Mineral Salt

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any idea how the two compare to each other? Are they essentially the same? Is there any way to know? In theory they should be quite similar, but are they?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any idea how the two compare to each other? Are they essentially the same? Is there any way to know? In theory they should be quite similar, but are they?
I don't know but the Part C for the TM full balling method is to keep TM part A and Part B very stable.
It says that it has the TM trace elements in part C, but it's more for keeping the other two parts stable.

If you want TM trace elements, then you dose their A and K trace elements.

They both could, very well be, NaCl - free salts.

OP
OP
Myka

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know but the Part C for the TM full balling method is to keep TM part A and Part B very stable.
It says that it has the TM trace elements in part C, but it's more for keeping the other two parts stable.

If you want TM trace elements, then you dose their A and K trace elements.

They both could, very well be, NaCl - free salts.

What do you mean by "stable"? Are you meaning ionic balance? That's my understanding of both TM Part C and AF MS.

TM Part C clearly says "Sodium choride free sea salt" on the front. Their site doesn't say much: "[...] while the addition of sodium chloride free sea salt (part C) maintains the crucial ionic balance in the aquarium water."

AF MS from their website: "Aquaforest Reef Mineral Salt is a Sodium Chloride (NaCl) free sea salt. It contains all the other basic components found in natural seawater, such as Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium, Bromine, Fluorine, Barium, Iodine, and trace elements. NaCl free salt is one of the most important components of the Balling method, and it plays a significant role when Calcium Chloride and Sodium Bicarbonate supplementation is in place. It is a common misconception among reefers that administering NaCl free salt is primarily supposed to replenish trace elements. The main task of Sodium Chloride free salt is to maintain ionic balance of aquarium water."

See what I mean now? :D

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by "stable"? Are you meaning ionic balance? That's my understanding of both TM Part C and AF MS.

TM Part C clearly says "Sodium choride free sea salt" on the front. Their site doesn't say much: "[...] while the addition of sodium chloride free sea salt (part C) maintains the crucial ionic balance in the aquarium water."

AF MS from their website: "Aquaforest Reef Mineral Salt is a Sodium Chloride (NaCl) free sea salt. It contains all the other basic components found in natural seawater, such as Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium, Bromine, Fluorine, Barium, Iodine, and trace elements. NaCl free salt is one of the most important components of the Balling method, and it plays a significant role when Calcium Chloride and Sodium Bicarbonate supplementation is in place. It is a common misconception among reefers that administering NaCl free salt is primarily supposed to replenish trace elements. The main task of Sodium Chloride free salt is to maintain ionic balance of aquarium water."

See what I mean now? :D
TM's part C is not meant to replenish trace elements, between water changes but (lol) a lot of reefer's mis-understand that part. :D

OP
OP
Myka

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM's part C is not meant to replenish trace elements, between water changes but (lol) a lot of reefer's mis-understand that part. :D

Ok. I'm not asking about trace elements though. :) I'm asking if the products are essentially the same as each other - could one replace the other? It seems like they should be by their descriptions, but I was wondering if someone had somehow confirmed this.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I'm not asking about trace elements though. :) I'm asking if the products are essentially the same as each other - could one replace the other? It seems like they should be by their descriptions, but I was wondering if someone had somehow confirmed this.
Hopefully
Randy, Will answer your question.

I'd like to tag along for his answer. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be functionally similar, but even if they are both perfect in what they claim, they need not be identical.

For example, one might contain potassium bromide, and the other might have sodium bromide and potassium chloride, to approach the same addition of potassium and bromide. :)

OP
OP
Myka

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be functionally similar, but even if they are both perfect in what they claim, they need not be identical.

For example, one might contain potassium bromide, and the other might have sodium bromide and potassium chloride, to approach the same addition of potassium and bromide. :)

That's where my thoughts were going, I just needed confirmation that I wasn't missing something. Thanks Randy.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Old thread, but new questions. =)

Because they're used to help keep the balance, is there any value in it w/o running 2 part? i.e. now using a CaRX. I have ALOT left over when I was doing balling with AF and considered adding it now as part of WC for the misc trace elements it may have. Being Sodium Chloride free, it shouldn't affect salinity if added to the WC water but potentially introduce some benefits with the additional minerals/elements.

I would not run out to buy it for this reason as trace supplements are probably better, but seems like such a waste to throw away. Additional benefit is to clear out the fish closet. =)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread, but new questions. =)

Because they're used to help keep the balance, is there any value in it w/o running 2 part? i.e. now using a CaRX. I have ALOT left over when I was doing balling with AF and considered adding it now as part of WC for the misc trace elements it may have. Being Sodium Chloride free, it shouldn't affect salinity if added to the WC water but potentially introduce some benefits with the additional minerals/elements.

I would not run out to buy it for this reason as trace supplements are probably better, but seems like such a waste to throw away. Additional benefit is to clear out the fish closet. =)

Thanks!

No, it would not be desirable to use them without a two part. It’s the wrong mix of ingredients to offset consumption.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back