Tropic Marin Pro Salt Higher then Normal Cal

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible. Ill double check now. I always just use the Hanna checker to match salinity to the tanks. which is always 35ppt While I have seen it drift before, ild think ild notice when checking the tank daily. Im going to recalibrate the hanna checker and compare it to an actual refractometer.
Calibrate both to 35ppt and not RODI

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 35 solution for the hanna checker but only have rodi for the refractometer but both were reading 35ppt

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given my experience with my Hanna test kit, I give it an accuracy of +/- 10%. So I usually just use it for trends and replace the reagent when the numbers look wonky.

Generally speaking, I do not use Ca measurements for dosing as it's very inaccurate and Alk/Ca consumption is almost balanced in a reef aquarium. The actual consumption will slightly favor Alk. How much depends on your tank setup and inhabitants.

Also, Ca is a relatively abundant ion in the tank and its actual value isn't to important (unlike Alk that is limited and impacts lots of processes in the tank).

But generally speaking 1dKH consumption corresponds to 7ppm Ca consumption.

Once you have your tank at target levels, just do balanced dosing to maintain based on Alk measurements.

After several months, you may need to adjust with some unbalanced alk dosing. I use quarterly ICP tests to ensure I'm using better Ca measurements.

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given my experience with my Hanna test kit, I give it an accuracy of +/- 10%. So I usually just use it for trends and replace the reagent when the numbers look wonky.

Generally speaking, I do not use Ca measurements for dosing as it's very inaccurate and Alk/Ca consumption is almost balanced in a reef aquarium. The actual consumption will slightly favor Alk. How much depends on your tank setup and inhabitants.

Also, Ca is a relatively abundant ion in the tank and its actual value isn't to important (unlike Alk that is limited and impacts lots of processes in the tank).

Once you have your tank at target levels, just do balanced dosing to maintain based on Alk measurements.

After several months, you may need to adjust with some unbalanced alk dosing. I use quarterly ICP tests to ensure I'm using better Ca measurements.
I find the hannah alk checker the most consistent of any of my tests but i use it a lot so i go threw a lot of reagent so it probably never goes bad on me. But My tanks uptake has slowed down quite a bit from close to 1 dkh to almost half that since ive run into high phosphate while dosing silicates and phyto. i used to dose 16ml a day and cut that back to 8ml to maintain alk now.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get a real value for a calcium result above the syringe limit, just start a second syringe of titrant and add the values together.

Agreed. Calcium concentration in the tank is way less important.
I find the hannah alk checker the most consistent of any of my tests but i use it a lot so i go threw a lot of reagent so it probably never goes bad on me. But My tanks uptake has slowed down quite a bit from close to 1 dkh to almost half that since ive run into high phosphate while dosing silicates and phyto. i used to dose 16ml a day and cut that back to 8ml to maintain alk now.
Higher phosphates can reduce growth but only at really high levels. I wouldn’t worry about your phosphates. Why are you dosing silicates an phyto? Is there a reason? I would also say that “consistent” isn’t accurate. Precise and accurate are not the same thing. You can test 5 times and they average out to a number but if that number isn’t precise they mean nothing.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible. Ill double check now. I always just use the Hanna checker to match salinity to the tanks. which is always 35ppt While I have seen it drift before, ild think ild notice when checking the tank daily. Im going to recalibrate the hanna checker and compare it to an actual refractometer.
I’m curious. Let us know what you find.

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Calcium concentration in the tank is way less important.

Higher phosphates can reduce growth but only at really high levels. I wouldn’t worry about your phosphates. Why are you dosing silicates an phyto? Is there a reason? I would also say that “consistent” isn’t accurate. Precise and accurate are not the same thing. You can test 5 times and they average out to a number but if that number isn’t precise they mean nothing.
My phosphate has gotten pretty high its at .5 right now. I hadn't done anything about it because I thought I was getting false reading caused by the silicates, which I am dosing to promote a diatom bloom to outcompete dinos on my sand bed. And i understand precise is not the same as accurate but trends show. so while my tank normally tests at 440 it may not actually be 440 but if its testing at 470 now i think its safe to say its a lot higher then whatever it actually was when it was testing 440.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphate has gotten pretty high its at .5 right now. I hadn't done anything about it because I thought I was getting false reading caused by the silicates, which I am dosing to promote a diatom bloom to outcompete dinos on my sand bed. And i understand precise is not the same as accurate but trends show. so while my tank normally tests at 440 it may not actually be 440 but if its testing at 470 now i think its safe to say its a lot higher then whatever it actually was when it was testing 440.
Agreed that the trend shows higher numbers but again, I wouldn’t get worried about it. 440-470 isn’t going to show any changes in the corals.

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that the trend shows higher numbers but again, I wouldn’t get worried about it. 440-470 isn’t going to show any changes in the corals.
Thank you, would you bring the levels up in the tank so you don't get swings with water changes?

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, would you bring the levels up in the tank so you don't get swings with water changes?
No. Only thing I would worry about is PH and Alk. Someone more experienced than me can chime in but calcium and magnesium changes are not that important. You obviously want to keep it in a range that is acceptable but calcium and mag are in much higher concentrations so a 10% drop in calcium is not as “bad” as a 10% in alk or PH

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are chasing stability, here is how I approach it...

Im not looking to chase numbers that dont need to be. I was under the impression this could cause problems. When adjusting Ca they tell you not to exceed 20ppm per day so i just assumed going from 450 to 470 in a 10 minute water change would cause a lot stress. If its not important i will not worry about it. ill just keep my Ca doser between water changes until i use the rest of this salt. hopefully my next bucket will mix closer to what they claim.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not looking to chase numbers that dont need to be. I was under the impression this could cause problems. When adjusting Ca they tell you not to exceed 20ppm per day so i just assumed going from 450 to 470 in a 10 minute water change would cause a lot stress. If its not important i will not worry about it. ill just keep my Ca doser between water changes until i use the rest of this salt. hopefully my next bucket will mix closer to what they claim.

The referenced post was my response and about chasing stability and not numbers.

My advice is not to dose based on Ca measurements due to the inaccuracy of the test kits and the relative abundance of Ca that makes it actual # not that important.

I'm suggesting maintaining #s based on your selected salt and balanced dosing based on Alk consumption as the best practice for stability.

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The referenced post was my response and about chasing stability and not numbers.

My advice is not to dose based on Ca measurements due to the inaccuracy of the test kits and the relative abundance of Ca that makes it actual # not that important.

I'm suggesting maintaining #s based on your selected salt and balanced dosing based on Alk consumption as the best practice for stability.
I dont understand what your trying to explain. I picked this salt because it claimed to be close to the parameters i wanted. Thats not the case however. Im open to suggestions on how to improve my dosing regiment just understand i am green.

Back