Tropic Marin Recalls ‘Turkish Blend’ of Pro-Reef Salt Mix

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

oreolk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 4 boxes from BRS late November 2021 / early December 2021 and all from Turkey. They might be only selling German made TM salt since TM is temporaily stopping dostribution of turkey made salt but what is BRS doing with their current inventory of turkish salt? Just dump it on customers and tell them that they need to pay for shipping the salt back to qualify for a refund or exchange?
I emailed BRS about this. I have 3 boxes of Turkish salt. They just request photos of label stating manufactured in turkey and they will issue store credit.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed BRS about this. I have 3 boxes of Turkish salt. They just request photos of label stating manufactured in turkey and they will issue store credit.
Glad that's the case. I'll reach out to them as well.

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Statement on current supply of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt from our Turkish production facility.

Tropic Marin stands for the highest quality in seawater animal husbandry. Regrettably, in the last few days we have received several complaints that some of our Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt, produced in our Turkish facility, did not meet our exacting optical standards. Our investigation into these complaints has revealed that limited batches of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt may contain a small amount of an insoluble clay mineral impurity that may impact our exacting optical quality standards, resulting in cloudiness, film and/or yellowish or brownish residue in the water. Importantly, we have no evidence that these insoluble clay minerals, causing the cloudiness, are harmful to the animals. Please note that this notice only applies to Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt blended in our facility in Turkey and that the mineral impurity has not been observed in Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt produced in our German facilities or in any of our other products.

In addition to our own investigations, we have commissioned an in-depth analysis from an external laboratory to verify our findings. As a precautionary measure, we have decided to interrupt the production and distribution of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef salts, blended in our facility in Turkey, until further notice. Again, this is purely a precautionary measure and has no impact on Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt produced elsewhere.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this has caused.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t see the word recall
Unbelievable how they say this “clay” will not affect the animals in our aquariums…Just trying to relieve themselves of responsibility
Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, guys, I have noticed since running out of my german Salt, some time into using the Turkish blend I had rising silicates in my water and an outbreak of cyano, I could not track what was being put into my water, but after this news its starting to make sense. Because of this will i be able to qualify for a refund, exchange or anything? i don't want to use this salt and its expensive for me to afford a replacement. i did get my salt from BRS who from what i can see said to sell german made salt????
Same experience here.
TDS measured in - 158
TDS measured after RO- 0.03
TDS measured after DI- 0.00

I am dealing with some serious funk. I pulled my sandbed, but prepared to do so using a salt that always mixed close to my desired parameters. I was using AF Reef Salt, but do to availability, I purchased TMPR salts to transition. I planned large water changes and pulled sand. Did several 25% changes over 2 weeks. Then started getting some uglies, which I expected, but it continued to worsen with water changes made with Turkish salt. After 40% use of salt, I discontinued and am resting on RS Blue Bucket. I want nothing in return, I am just sharing my experience. So far, 25% replacement of RS Blue bucket has helped.
Edit update:
Yesterday's 25% water change with RS blue bucket is quite promising, the tank looks the best I have seen in several weeks.

Last edited:

dattack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed sludge in my tropic marin mix too. And a serious outbreak all of the sudden. Luckily , only a couple of LPS died.

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turkish Blend usually engenders a connotation of fine tobacco or strong coffee but the term is coming to mean something very different for one flavor of Tropic Marin’s popular saltwater mixes. Mysterious coral problems started arising from the reefing community several months ago but it’s only this year that reef keepers and coral farmers started…
Source

Continue reading...
I’m so upset all o have is this salt and no money to replace it i hope tropic Marin or BRS does something about this or I’m screwed. What salt is everyone switching to now? I don’t trust to keep using this brand anymore

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bucket from them last month and it's from Turkey
Yeah they haven’t had buckets in stock for a wile. They still don’t. If I were conspiracy theorist (which I’m not) I’d say someone knew about this in fall. Remember all that free TMP that went out the door?

AND, before anyone says anything… it’s sarcastic humor…

I just replaced the bucket and a half of Turkish TMP I put in the dumpster (I may as well have thrown the $165.00 in the fire place) with one bucket of made in Germany TMP this morning.

Be warned TMP is already going scarce again.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a lil over a year into reefing. Started with blue bucket. Changed over to TM after a lot of reading. I noticed things goin downhill since the change. Saw this thread and went to go see where my salt was made….lo and behold….turkey.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bucket from them last month and it's from Turkey
last month they did not pull from shelves salt from Turkey, as of early last week they did pull the Turkey batches and are only selling tmp from Germany

reefer_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, guys, I have noticed since running out of my german Salt, some time into using the Turkish blend I had rising silicates in my water and an outbreak of cyano, I could not track what was being put into my water, but after this news its starting to make sense. Because of this will i be able to qualify for a refund, exchange or anything? i don't want to use this salt and its expensive for me to afford a replacement. i did get my salt from BRS who from what i can see said to sell german made salt????
I have been battling an outbreak of cyano and thought it was the rodi filter (changed it), and kept using phosguard to lower phosphates while my nitrates have been stable at 5 ppm (def not over feeding). Even changed my skimmer (for the good) blaming it and I have 3 corals that stn ed. alkalinity stable at 7.5 and now I know. Can someone here suggest me an alternate salt that mixes stable around 7-8 dkh? I am done with TM for the good. Not spending the money for this dirt and to rub salt in the wound there is no recall. Never had any issues with my coral life salt despite it adding some nitrates.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling an outbreak of cyano and thought it was the rodi filter (changed it), and kept using phosguard to lower phosphates while my nitrates have been stable at 5 ppm (def not over feeding). Even changed my skimmer (for the good) blaming it and I have 3 corals that stn ed. alkalinity stable at 7.5 and now I know. Can someone here suggest me an alternate salt that mixes stable around 7-8 dkh? I am done with TM for the good. Not spending the money for this dirt and to rub salt in the wound there is no recall. Never had any issues with my coral life salt despite it adding some nitrates.

I find Red Sea Blue Bucket, AF Reef Salt, BW Neo-marine to all mix with a lower alk. I have switched to Red Sea blue myself, and the tank is improving.
Cheers

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my, I hate being old, as I swear it been a lot longer than THE LAST FEW DAYS I've been reading about these complaints right here on this very forum.

I found the complaint thread, it started on 12/03/21 and it's now 01/31/22, so most likely that's a few days in German.
TM has stated this problem may have started as far back as April 2021.

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im waiting for TM to give me a German box of salt for my turkey salt . BRS said there s going to be a official TM coupon

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why throw it away? Seems like you can use it for a FOWLR.
I will not though it away either, but it will last me a near life time to be used in my QT and holding systems...
But I am convinced it was the cause of decline and death of several SPS frags/colonies in the Oct '21 to early Jan '22 time frame for me. All else in the tank has thrived. And most SPS are stable - turning positive with changes in salt

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to switch simply because of the vendor that carried my current salt. I was looking to switch to TM Pro and bought 5 boxes. So far the only issue I have is the packaging. I have seen the recent reviews and still mixed a 5 gal batch of TM Pro from Turkey and it looked clean to me.

20220204_154710.jpg

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back