Tropic Marin Recalls ‘Turkish Blend’ of Pro-Reef Salt Mix

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

tiomm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s odd, Lou was very good at keeping me in the loop when I was trying to replace a bucket of TMPR. He communicated with me and the LFS I was getting my salt replaced by. I did catch him after the whole Turkish blend fiasco so that may have been a benefiting factor for me.
That's great. Maybe things would be different if I had just kept some salt. Can't bash TM for not helping me since I never contacted them. Love your avatar btw. Black metal ist krieg.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is a super shady comment. Randomly calling out TM. Claiming there are still issues with a different salt source, no reports, just some “public domain aquarist” who won’t be named. And then you can’t provide TM with a sample because you threw out all the affected salt out of “spite”? Okay.

Disclaimer: Not a TM product user at this time or in the past.
I'm on the fence about it, but I don't think calling out @tiomm is correct. They are just trying to let people know their experience to save other reefers from pulling out their hair if they have similar issues they are trying to triage.

Lots of reefing is annecdotal or is something where we crowd source experience to triangulate truth. I think throwing salt out without testing doesn't help the rest of the reefing community, but @tiomm is sharing their experience to help others not to throw shade at TM. They could have very well said nothing and just had a bad experience in a vacuum.

I appreciate people willing to share their experiences even if it goes against the grain, as long as they are respectful about it and this poster is.

tiomm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be related:

Not saying the salt tested is Tropic Marin Pro Reef or even that they are using Epsom salt.
But it adds to the story. Always a lesson learned.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m sorry to say that I´m probably the source for this misunderstanding. I contact tiomm when he complained over TM:s salt in a Swedish forum and asked if it was the Turkish blend and if he could send a sample of the salt to me. I got the answer that he had threw it away and did not know if it was German or Turkish blend, hence it not tested. There is no evidence at all that TM:s pro salt contain any impurities in form of ammonium.

However - in my work we come across a technical grade of MgSO4 * 7H2O that contain a lot of ammonium - up to 1% dry weight. But it has nothing to do with TM Pro salt - it was a technical product for the Swedish market. If you use Epsom salt (MGSO4 *xH2O) for DIY solutions - use a cheap ammonium test before you use it. I have tested 3 brands of Epsom salt - 1 contain ammonium - and of cause - it was the one used in a 400 m3 aquarium :confounded-face:

I say it again - this has nothing to do with TM pro salt

Sincerely Lasse

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m sorry to say that I´m probably the source for this misunderstanding. I contact tiomm when he complained over TM:s salt in a Swedish forum and asked if it was the Turkish blend and if he could send a sample of the salt to me. I got the answer that he had threw it away and did not know if it was German or Turkish blend, hence it not tested. There is no evidence at all that TM:s pro salt contain any impurities in form of ammonium.

However - in my work we come across a technical grade of MgSO4 * 7H2O that contain a lot of ammonium - up to 1% dry weight. But it has nothing to do with TM Pro salt - it was a technical product for the Swedish market. If you use Epsom salt (MGSO4 *xH2O) for DIY solutions - use a cheap ammonium test before you use it. I have tested 3 brands of Epsom salt - 1 contain ammonium - and of cause - it was the one used in a 400 m3 aquarium :confounded-face:

Sincerely Lasse

Thank you kindly for taking the time to post this information. It is very helpful.

Have a great day.

tiomm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks for clarifying, Lasse!
I was wrong then. My apologies.

But I'm still worried there are issues with the german made salt.
My corals got worse and dying with each water change.
And that stopped immediately as soon as I changed salt brands.
My routines are exactly the same in all other aspects.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for clarifying, Lasse!
I was wrong then. My apologies.

But I'm still worried there are issues with the german made salt.
My corals got worse and dying with each water change.
And that stopped immediately as soon as I changed salt brands.
My routines are exactly the same in all other aspects.
I also only used German-made salt (for many year at that). Some folks have never seen an issue while others saw enough data points to try something different.

Back