Tropic Marin Salt coming out yellow?

Luciferene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi has anyone experienced yellow tint in their Tropic Marine Pro Reef Salt and what it's about? I contacted Tropic Marin some time ago and haven't got a response so I'm seeing if anyone else heard about this.

Some background: I've been using Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt for a while and I started getting slight yellow tea like tint in the mix about 2/3 if way in. Past forward 20 more gallons made, now its visibly yellow, like iodide dip.

Now it hasn't affected my tank at all and it doesn't tint the water either (probably carbon), but I'm trying to figure out what it is since its getting so much more tinted towards bottom of the bucket.

20210326_231029.jpg

Here's 4Gallon I just mixed. It still mixes just as fast, only with a tint.

Also, I also have Coralife and Brightwell Neo Marine Salt and they mix clear, so it's not a problem with source water.

Thanks for reading!
Jay

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi has anyone experienced yellow tint in their Tropic Marine Pro Reef Salt and what it's about? I contacted Tropic Marin some time ago and haven't got a response so I'm seeing if anyone else heard about this.

Some background: I've been using Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt for a while and I started getting slight yellow tea like tint in the mix about 2/3 if way in. Past forward 20 more gallons made, now its visibly yellow, like iodide dip.

Now it hasn't affected my tank at all and it doesn't tint the water either (probably carbon), but I'm trying to figure out what it is since its getting so much more tinted towards bottom of the bucket.

20210326_231029.jpg

Here's 4Gallon I just mixed. It still mixes just as fast, only with a tint.

Also, I also have Coralife and Brightwell Neo Marine Salt and they mix clear, so it's not a problem with source water.

Thanks for reading!
Jay
Where did you buy it?

there has been a few sellers selling fake TM salt as it is in short supply.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is REALLY yellow. It looks like pee. Have you run tests on it to see if the parameters are in keeping with standards? I'd almost want an ICP (no pun intended.... even though I do see pee...). I imagine if you have a carbon reactor, it is taking that out but exhausting your carbon. I would want answers, too. My mixing bucket is pink. Next batch, I will get a white bucket and let you know what color it is.
Thanks for the heads up... totally following!

OP
OP
L

Luciferene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you buy it?

there has been a few sellers selling fake TM salt as it is in short supply.
LFS, he's been bringing Tropic Marin for years and a trustworthy guy. Also I bought it far before this issue, probably around 2years ago.
That is REALLY yellow. It looks like pee. Have you run tests on it to see if the parameters are in keeping with standards? I'd almost want an ICP (no pun intended.... even though I do see pee...). I imagine if you have a carbon reactor, it is taking that out but exhausting your carbon. I would want answers, too. My mixing bucket is pink. Next batch, I will get a white bucket and let you know what color it is.
Thanks for the heads up... totally following!
Haha took me a while to get, hit me harder than Id like to admit.

I have a bag of carbon in HOB so luckily its pretty easy to switch it. So far the main display's parameters are staying in check, I'll give this a test in my next mix.

I'll keep things posted!

tolaso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same happened to me last night , less yellow but bit worrying

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-06-03 at 9.03.57 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-06-03 at 9.03.57 PM.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 66

nkxyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the mix okay? i am experiencing the same issue right now. Mixed 50L of it and eveything is so yellow. Hopefully still can be used. TIA

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used 5 yr old TMP that I had to break up because it was all clumped together and it didnt have any yellow tint.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back