OP
OP
S

Snyderman3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here I thought we were past this. So what's everyone's "go to" replacement salt? Instant Ocean Reef Crystals? Red Sea Blue Bucket?

I really like how Tropic Marin Pro Reef mixed but I'm almost out of the German (pre-issue) salt.
I feel you man I was a big fan of TM salt but until they can get back to the quality I just can justify using them anymore but once this is finally resolved I will probably be right back to it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you man I was a big fan of TM salt but until they can get back to the quality I just can justify using them anymore but once this is finally resolved I will probably be right back to it.
I was waiting for replacement German-manufactured salt, but I may be waiting longer it seems. What are you planning to switch to in the interim?

OP
OP
S

Snyderman3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was waiting for replacement German-manufactured salt, but I may be waiting longer it seems. What are you planning to switch to in the interim?
Red Sea. I mean you can also just keep going with TM until you have a problem you might get lucky and get a good batch just make sure your LFS is cool with you returning or exchanging if it’s a bad batch. If I knew I could buy a good one I would still use it but because it’s been 2 buckets now I’m done mixing and dumping water it’s just a waste

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea. I mean you can also just keep going with TM until you have a problem you might get lucky and get a good batch just make sure your LFS is cool with you returning or exchanging if it’s a bad batch. If I knew I could buy a good one I would still use it but because it’s been 2 buckets now I’m done mixing and dumping water it’s just a waste
They're cool, but I already returned one unopened Turkish bucket. I used Red Sea Coral Pro before (black bucket) but maybe I'll give the blue bucket a try. Appreciated, thanks.

OP
OP
S

Snyderman3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're cool, but I already returned one unopened Turkish bucket. I used Red Sea Coral Pro before (black bucket) but maybe I'll give the blue bucket a try. Appreciated, thanks.
Yeah I’m going to do the blue bucket because my Alk is around 8.5-9 and black bucket mixes at like 10-12 I think.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You too? It is absolutely ridiculous that Tropic Marin hasn't authorized refunds if they cannot get replacement product supplied in a reasonable amount of time. It's a free loan at the moment.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but if you’re paying the extra price for the “Best” even if it’s safe I want a clean mix that’s why I spend the extra money either way I will move to Red Sea until all this settles out with TM
oh agreed though I'd only think a completely synthetic sea salt will meet visual/clarity expectations of those kinds

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but if you’re paying the extra price for the “Best” even if it’s safe I want a clean mix that’s why I spend the extra money either way I will move to Red Sea until all this settles out with TM
ESV is just as expensive and if cost = best then your good to go!

pochaxoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the same problem in my mixing bin today. The brown oily residue builds up on cables first then the walls of the container and I am noticing the brown in my micron filter when it was white last week. This appears to be caused by this latest bucket. It was mixing clean for last 2 months using the German salt. I had this previously with the turkish salt with at least one bucket and several boxes. Here are my pictures of lot numbers on lid and barcode.
IMG_3662.jpg
IMG_3661.jpg

Is it best to take this back to my LFS or How can one "contact Lou"?

I used this paper towel to clean the temperature probe wire into the tank. The picture on right is the start of the brown crud. While this may look clean to you it was pristine about 2 weeks ago before I switched to this latest bucket.
IMG_3664.jpg
IMG_3663.jpg

View Badges
It was more then 10 people that had a problem with that salt even though it was in turkey don't you think they ship it where it's needed when it comes out of there ground.. Think about it....don't trust it anymore. Done.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same residue over here on all my recent batches….visited a friend the other day that got out of reefing maybe a 1.5 years ago had a bucket of tm left over, mixes clean this time!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same residue over here on all my recent batches….visited a friend the other day that got out of reefing maybe a 1.5 years ago had a bucket of tm left over, mixes clean this time!
So residue from batches of recent German-manufactured salt?

Last edited:

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is total hearsay but it is my understanding that TM salt is pretty middle of the road affordable in Europe. I have no idea or experience to cite but that tells me that it is marketed in Europe as just another salt which does not carry the premium price tag. In the US it is marketed as a premium brand and priced as such. This makes sense if you needed to ship a heavy product across the globe and still sell it at reasonable margins. So what's the deal? Can anyone substantiate this; preferably someone from Europe?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used RS Blue for years with no problems, but check the Alk after mixing as my latest RS Blue bucket was high (9.6dkh @ 35psu). Gremlins everywhere it seems.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used RS Blue for years with no problems, but check the Alk after mixing as my latest RS Blue bucket was high (9.6dkh @ 35psu). Gremlins everywhere it seems.
Well, at least I can source Red Sea Blue Bucket from my LFS. So some salt is better than no salt...

Kennya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is total hearsay but it is my understanding that TM salt is pretty middle of the road affordable in Europe. I have no idea or experience to cite but that tells me that it is marketed in Europe as just another salt which does not carry the premium price tag. In the US it is marketed as a premium brand and priced as such. This makes sense if you needed to ship a heavy product across the globe and still sell it at reasonable margins. So what's the deal? Can anyone substantiate this; preferably someone from
TM pro is around £80 for 25kg and Red Sea Blue around £70 for 22kg. IO around £50 for 20kg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back