Tropic Marin Syn-Biotic Salt - a working review

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally like Tropic Marin product line, but keep things simple. Buy more salt mix and few additives.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use TM pro, about the same size tank, my alk went low for a while, I corrected it with baking soda, now use All For Reef which keeps the alk very stable.
I don’t think your salt will help with keeping your alk stable as that was a reason you say you changed over.

And a comment on your salinity, if you keep your salt water mix covered the salinity won’t change, especially as you are using it so quickly, I had bad salinity fluctuations, was down to reduced flow in the tank when the floss stated to get dirty the ato kicks in, and removing salt water when changing the floss, also using tank water for tests didn’t help, it doesn’t take much to change the salinity of a nano.
I personally wouldn’t use this salt in a nano, it can’t be stored and the extra organics in a small volume of water is probably not neeeded, it’s hard enough in a nano to export organic without adding more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new updates?

I plan on doing a WC today, I'm battling just a lil' bit of dinos but my coralline algae is taking off and appears to be keeping it at bay. I'll do a DINO X regiment here with it just to be safe. My opinion is dinos are just one of those things...all tanks have em, just depends if they can survive/thrive. I didn't use live rock (except for a few pieces) and started with dry rock...so it was a blank check for problem algae (it went diatoms, GHA, and then dinos...now coralline). While I've done other things to curb algae growth (mainly vibrant once a week), it's been easier to tame since the switch - I have no idea if it's the salt or just maturity. I'll post some photos. I'm purposely doing everything wrong on this tank. I cycled with coral, I added livestock immediately post cycle...what people do in a year I've tried to do in like 2 months just to see if I could. So far....so good. This is a cakewalk compared to by PICO reef jars...those were an exercise is masochism.

I'm going to say something - A LOT of people are giving me crap about using this salt. Heck, I've even been racially attacked for being mexican (I am not mexican) in some bizarre internet rant by an online boomer loony...and maybe it's just me, but this tank was HIGH phosphates and 0 nitrates prior. My phosphates have held in between .1-.2 and my nitrates sit around 15-20. My corals have never looked better. I'm doing 30-40% water changes weekly-ish. (I'm not one of these YOU HAVE TO HAVE LOW LOW PHOSPHATES TO SUCCEED guys....).

Again, I don't store water here. This tank is at work and it's not a big deal to mix up 4-5 gallon at a time. If you want to store water, then no this isn't a good salt.

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally like Tropic Marin product line, but keep things simple. Buy more salt mix and few additives.
At this point I'm committed. So I'll run this salt in the name of science for prob. a year or so just to see what happens (if anything). I kinda know what I'm looking for in the long run, but again...it's hard to say "it's the salt" or "the tank"...each tank seems different. I'll prob get answers if/when I switch back to another salt honestly!

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a short list of additives I keep on hand. The carbon source of this salt is also sold as Reef Actif. It is sold as a powered seaweed and mild carbon source. I have seen a few threads from advanced SPS tanks that show some benefit in coloration. It could also be excellent care that effected changes too. I think it may help to prevent a limiting situation but not essential. I can not imagine it is much different than overfeeding Tangs an assortment of seaweeds.

Stability is far more important than other factors really an advanced topic to master. I tend to go more basic to principles of reefing from the late 90s or golden era of reefing. I carefully meter kalk, and have lots of fresh air in basement to lower house CO2.

There are too many gadgets that drive hobbiest out of hobby.

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a short list of additives I keep on hand. The carbon source of this salt is also sold as Reef Actif. It is sold as a powered seaweed and mild carbon source. I have seen a few threads from advanced SPS tanks that show some benefit in coloration. It could also be excellent care that effected changes too. I think it may help to prevent a limiting situation but not essential. I can not imagine it is much different than overfeeding Tangs an assortment of seaweeds.

Stability is far more important than other factors really an advanced topic to master. I tend to go more basic to principles of reefing from the late 90s or golden era of reefing. I carefully meter kalk, and have lots of fresh air in basement to lower house CO2.

There are too many gadgets that drive hobbiest out of hobby.

Reminds me of the explosion of the internet...just because we have all this information doesn't make it useful.

At the end of the day, we are all just trying to keep a box of water.

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I've got about 90% of my dinos killed off but they are still persistent....considering a RIP CLEAN to wipe it all out. If that happens I'll start a thread for the process. It's a lot of work, but if it wipes out the dinos then so be it!

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have used this salt with success. I purchased it during the pandemic as available. It does mix up cloudy and provides a very stable alkalinity. Cloudyness may be due to a Reefactif biopolymer. It is well balanced and reliable.

I can do up to 25% water changes and "biopolymer" cloudyness clarifies same day under use. My tank is doing well due to dilligence and balance.I would recommend as a high end salt but not necessary for success.

I use ATI 8x 54 bulb with 12 hr and 8 hr light cycles on o zones.

Additives are
15% weekly water changes
2.5 liters per kalk carefully metered - kinda maxed
5 cc/day TM NP Bactobalance
45 cc/day All for reef powder solution

I have used ICP and and get the usual do series of 15% water changes. I sort of just buy salt now. Idoine is inrage too. Chaeto is slowly waining as you could imagine with this set up. Only changes I am making is ramping up very powerful light every three weeks and monitoring alkalinity demand.

Hope this helps

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just getting ready to switch over my tanks to this on my next WC. Any updates on how thins went for you, if you are still using this salt?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back