Tropic marine pro change in mixing quantity

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Rds3194

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I use to mix 1/2 cup of tropic marine pro salt for 1 gallon of water, so for 5 gallons (home depot bucket) I use to add 5x1/2 cups of salt which would give a salinity of 35ppm

Recently I got a new bucket I mixed salt with water with same ratio but now am getting a salinity of 31.5 ppm I have to cross check with other salinity checker even tried mixing a fresh batch of water still there is this change.
Has anyone else noticed this?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I use to mix 1/2 cup of tropic marine pro salt for 1 gallon of water, so for 5 gallons (home depot bucket) I use to add 5x1/2 cups of salt which would give a salinity of 35ppm

Recently I got a new bucket I mixed salt with water with same ratio but now am getting a salinity of 31.5 ppm I have to cross check with other salinity checker even tried mixing a fresh batch of water still there is this change.
my guess is it’s your salinity checker that is off, Tropic Marin hydrometer is what I use and highly recommend.

Weighing salt and volume can be off as salt absorbs water from the air, so you can’t be sure you are actually mixing the same amount of salt each time, salinity is the best way to tell, that’s why you really need a checker you can trust.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Same thing here, not spot on like it was. I just kept checking and adding towards the end. That was a new box.
My stash from before they changed to boxes mixes spot on 2.5 c per 5 gal bucket.
Same refractometer was used in both cases.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I tend to use scale and go by weight. Also most salinity checkers are sensitive to temperature so that might be giving you odd reading. I don’t tend to check the salinity when mixing but I did notice that over time 4+ months my tank salinity tends to drift up so I suspect I am mixing it elevated. So far it has not gone down and I always use same weight.

Back