Tropical marin pro reef vs tropical marin reef actif

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am using pro reef and I was talking with Lou from tropical marin about switching salts. I am wondering if anyone has seen a difference in using the actif salt vs pro reef. Are there any benefits with using the actif vs pro reef salt. I know it’s like carbon dosing naturally but am not to sure about carbon dosing. Can someone help me explain this.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am using pro reef and I was talking with Lou from tropical marin about switching salts. I am wondering if anyone has seen a difference in using the actif salt vs pro reef. Are there any benefits with using the actif vs pro reef salt. I know it’s like carbon dosing naturally but am not to sure about carbon dosing. Can someone help me explain this.

I started my 180 for years on pro reef. I switched to IO but after giving it a chance for 2 years I tried bio. It made my skimmer more productive but I settled back on pro reef. Personally didn’t see a benefit of going from a great salt to just a bit greater. But I am also not housing sps or anything difficult now.

I would say the 10-15$ difference usually, couldn’t hurt to try.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That new Synbiotic salt of theirs looks pretty good, but if you're having success with the TMP (assuming you are), then are you sure you want to switch? The bio stuff is like carbon dosing if you want to maintain ULNS for your tank, I suppose. The only thing I like about the Synbiotic stuff is that it has bacteria in it; I dose bacteria so this is appealing to me, but I don't carbon dose. I use TMP and I really don't think I'd switch. If you switch, update this thread later. GL.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also curious about this salt as I currently use TM Pro but I am afraid to switch and upset the balance as I have been using TM Pro for so long. I would like to hear if there are any benefits as the cost increase is not too drastic.

OP
OP
scabbedwings616

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That new Synbiotic salt of theirs looks pretty good, but if you're having success with the TMP (assuming you are), then are you sure you want to switch? The bio stuff is like carbon dosing if you want to maintain ULNS for your tank, I suppose. The only thing I like about the Synbiotic stuff is that it has bacteria in it; I dose bacteria so this is appealing to me, but I don't carbon dose. I use TMP and I really don't think I'd switch. If you switch, update this thread later. GL.
I’m debating it. Lou said for me to use actif on the side. At 24 bucks for about 4 months vs getting the actif in the salt itself works out to be the same as getting the actif salt. Already measured out and less chance of messing it up. That is what I’m thinking. I have just gotten a bucket of tmp and gonna have to wait but I have a small thing of actif that I’m gonna do once I do my water change on saturday.

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small thing of actif that I’m gonna do once I do my water change on saturday.

A small amount isn't enough to even determine if your tank is going to do well or not if you have a large Tank. How large is your tank? After changing salt brands twice from IO to RSCP, to Tropic Marin Pro, I would never do it again. The switch over of weaning your tank off of one salt onto another is just a pain. Not comfortable with doing an entire water change on a NEW salt brand.

OP
OP
scabbedwings616

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small amount isn't enough to even determine if your tank is going to do well or not if you have a large Tank. How large is your tank? After changing salt brands twice from IO to RSCP, to Tropic Marin Pro, I would never do it again. The switch over of weaning your tank off of one salt onto another is just a pain. Not comfortable with doing an entire water change on a NEW salt brand.
It’s a 90g tank. I originally used IO, went to live aquaria, then to pro reef. Been using it for about 7 months now. I don’t mind if the benefits the corals and the growth.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add your own organic carbon for a fraction of the price, control and monitor the dosage better and otherwise make it more stable.

I never understood having organic carbon just in salt... put it in, it gets used up quickly and then your tank gets none until the next water change? Stability is paramount with organic carbon dosing.

IMO, if you are going to carbon dose, then do it deliberately and actively and not on the back end like this.

OP
OP
scabbedwings616

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add your own organic carbon for a fraction of the price, control and monitor the dosage better and otherwise make it more stable.

I never understood having organic carbon just in salt... put it in, it gets used up quickly and then your tank gets none until the next water change? Stability is paramount with organic carbon dosing.

IMO, if you are going to carbon dose, then do it deliberately and actively and not on the back end like this.
Is it more natural if it is done with the water changes? And once it is introduced and the salts been done for 4 months, then isn’t it more stable? Or are you trying to say stick with the pro reef and add the ACTIF in?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am saying that adding organic carbon once in a while in a water change will not do much. In order for it to work, it has to be daily, constant and stable... if you even want to do it at all.

You can get a bag of sugar at the grocery store that is plenty pure for about $2 and it will last a LONG time. Vinegar is cheap too.

Reef.Exotico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am on the fence between both salts. But now that PETCO has $30 off when you buy $100 plus free shipping, I think I'm going to order the Bio Actif. But @jda makes some very good points. Either way it's a great price on this salt.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back