Tropical vacation for family of 4?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My wife is interested in going on a tropical vacation and we could use some advice/recommendations. My wife looked into Atlantis think the Bahamas, but I was wondering about other options, possibly in Mexico or other Latin American countries. Looking for something kid friendly.

For me I think the only "must haves", are a beach to swim at, and somewhere to snorkel. And obviously somewhere thats fun for the kiddos. (kids 6 and 9).

What are your thoughts?

Krux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have really enjoyed the beaches in St. Thomas, Dominican Republic, and Jamaica. It has been years, but I enjoyed diving in Cozumel and Belize quite a bit and the wife enjoyed the snorkeling.

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grand Cayman. I did that trip when I was around the same age as your kids. Plenty of stuff to do, and a ton of snorkeling opportunities. Plus stingray city is a LIFELONG memory.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my thoughts.
#1 Thailand. yes its a long trip from the US BUT once your there you will LOVE it. affordable, amazing food, massages and spme pretty good diving and snorkeling.
i would look into some of the islans like Ko samui, ko thao & phuket. I think it very good for kids ( and adults ) to get you of the US.

#2 Hawaii - yes I know it in the US. lol some of the best beaching i have ever been to. amazing snorkeling and diving too. but $$$$ for about 10 days there is what I nornally spend for a month in Thailand.

for Mexico I like Cozumel, Cancun eh not so much. it's Ok but there are many many better places.

check out grovels atoll in Belize. great place. if your looking for that supper slow tropical trip.

but Hawaii and Thailand would be at the top of my list.

jacksin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawks cay resort
Florida keys
Free snorkeling along the road, park and see tons of fish, tangs,parrot fish, angels, butterflies
Also cheap reef snorkeling tours available
Try snuba

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What time of year? I kinda find Florida/Bahamas to be a little too cold for me in the winter.

cayman, St. John, st Thomas, bvi would all be ahead of the Bahamas but also depends on budget and how much time you have.

I do like the playa and tulum areas but snorkeling off the beaches isn’t fantastic. Very few places really are.

If the top priority is kid friendly and snorkeling I’d hit the islands further south.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beaches, Turks and Caicos. Gated, all inclusive, snorkel from beach or boat out to Great Wall for scuba.

waver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try Thailand. lots of living coral reefs. Phucket was wonderful. Did the 3-4 day padi certificate. Spent another few days snorkling. Would love to go back some time soon

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ Hawaii some of the best off the beach snorkiling in the world. and lots of it.
I did Molokini and wherever else the boat took us to plus a few spots off the coast along with Hanauma bay. I’ve heard hanauma was much nicer decades ago. Molokini had tons of fish and coral.

Any places you’d recommend for off the beach snorkeling in case I find myself in Hawaii again?

Back