Trouble cycling new tank

Valco213

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to marine 34 days ago today I purchased and set up a Fluval Evo 13.5 nano tank. I made some changes to the stock item by changing the pump to a Eheim 1000 and adding filter baskets containing 1kg of Biohome ultimate marine media and filter floss. I used life dry rock for the aqua scape and Fiji white sand.

I started the cycle using Dr Tims "One and only" and his ammonium chloride as suggested. All went well at first but since day 4 although the nitrites and nitrate levels have risen the ammonia level has stayed the same at 2ppm.
Now after 34 days the readings are as follows
Ammonia. 2ppm
Nitrite. 1
Nitrate. 20
Kh. 9.6
pH. 7.8
Sg. 1024
Temp. 25.8c
A week ago I added 3 small hermit crabs and 1 very small piece of live rock.
My worry is that the ammonia level has not changed for the last 3/4 weeks the level has been checked with 2 different test kits and both give near enough the same reading.
I really at my wit's end what can I do can anybody help me please. I attached a photo for reference
Thank you

IMG_20201211_100745.jpg

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be your test kit for sure. If it’s a API test they are notorious for being off. If you have nitrates of 20 then the cycle process is most likely complete.

OP
OP
V

Valco213

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just checked the ammonia reading with a Salivert kit which shows very little ammonia present. So what should I believe it's most confussing

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate is the byproduct of a complete nitrogen cycle, and you are showing a good amount of them. I would trust the salivert kit. Do a water change, and remember to go slow adding fish. Each addition adds to the bio load of the tank, and it takes a little time for the bacteria to populate to the right amount.

OP
OP
V

Valco213

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have carried out partial water change red sea test kit still showing 2ppm of ammonia but Salifert reading low ammonia. What concerns me nitrite still reading 1

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Double check your nitrite. If its still showing up then you have to wait before you can add fish.

Check your pH over 8 is good. You can also increase the temperature upto 80F during the cycling and reduce the salinity. This can help speed up the cycling in case its going slow or stalled because of some reason. When did you last added ammonia?

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In recent thread's nitrite is not an issue to be concerned about with saltwater, its only harmfull in freshwater.

What are you current nitrates and ammonia? Ammonia on salifert will never really read 0. Well it's hard to see a its not 100% clear.
Can you please refer me to these threads about nitrite? Its a interesting thing to know.

OP
OP
V

Valco213

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for the replies. Today's readings are as follows.
Ammonia. 0.5. Ppm ( using Salifert kit)
Nitrite. 0.5. (Using API)
Nitrate. 5 (Using API)
PH. 7.8
Kh 9.6

10 drops of Dr tims Ammonium chloride added last week. Pinch of flaked fish food added yesterday.
Looks as though levels are now coming down. If Salifert ammonia test is to be believed. Although Red sea is still showing 2ppm

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for the replies. Today's readings are as follows.
Ammonia. 0.5. Ppm ( using Salifert kit)
Nitrite. 0.5. (Using API)
Nitrate. 5 (Using API)
PH. 7.8
Kh 9.6

10 drops of Dr tims Ammonium chloride added last week. Pinch of flaked fish food added yesterday.
Looks as though levels are now coming down. If Salifert ammonia test is to be believed. Although Red sea is still showing 2ppm
How many days are you at of the cycle? Have you seen a spike and drop in ammonia?

Using live rock and sand or dry? Real reef rock pr artificial?

OP
OP
V

Valco213

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at day 36 of cycling. I have seen a spike and drop in ammonia depending on which test kit used. ie: Red sea , Salifert or API.
Rock used is dry real reef rock from Kraken corals.

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any ammonia left? You could dose what is required to bring it up to 2ppm then test to see what your test shows.

Then test again tomorrow. The ammonia should have dropped in any case, and you’d probably see a slight rise in nitrates. If this happens you have the bacteria, and I would say your tank is cycled.

As said before nitrites are nothing to be concerned about in saltwater.

OP
OP
V

Valco213

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all . Yes I have ammonium chloride left but not sure how to bring the level up to 2ppm can you help

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Tim's provides instructions on drops per gallon to achieve the 2ppm. But what I wanted to add is that it's fine to just re-dose the tank with more bacteria. Could even grab a small bottle of BioSpira at Petco if that's easiest.

Back