Trouble getting large Red Stripe Anthias to eat

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up one male and two female very large Red Stripe Anthias on Thursday. They are huge, thick, and beautiful. The male has a shade of orange I have never seen on a fish. It looks like a Salvadore Dali painting. Unfortunately, he hides all day. The females are very pretty with a peachy color and the signature blood-red stripe. I'm having trouble getting them to eat. I'm not sure if the food should be larger since they are closer in size to small groupers or if they want something tiny but in high quantity. What do you think they are eating down there in 300 feet of water?

I currently feed frozen Calanus, Mysis (tiny, medium, and jumbo), San Fran Bay Plankton, Brine Shrimp, IQF Krill (for my clown trigger who is so peaceful because he has never had silversides), and chopped-up IQF select clams.

When I feed they get active and the male even comes out of hiding they just never eat. They just watch the smorgasbord float by them in the current. I know anthias have high metabolism (I'm not sure the same applies to the deep water anthias) but I don't want them to starve. I usually have new fish eating by day three or four. I had a Foxface hold out until day 7 but I'm getting worried.

FreshSaltH2o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up one male and two female very large Red Stripe Anthias on Thursday. They are huge, thick, and beautiful. The male has a shade of orange I have never seen on a fish. It looks like a Salvadore Dali painting. Unfortunately, he hides all day. The females are very pretty with a peachy color and the signature blood-red stripe. I'm having trouble getting them to eat. I'm not sure if the food should be larger since they are closer in size to small groupers or if they want something tiny but in high quantity. What do you think they are eating down there in 300 feet of water?

I currently feed frozen Calanus, Mysis (tiny, medium, and jumbo), San Fran Bay Plankton, Brine Shrimp, IQF Krill (for my clown trigger who is so peaceful because he has never had silversides), and chopped-up IQF select clams.

When I feed they get active and the male even comes out of hiding they just never eat. They just watch the smorgasbord float by them in the current. I know anthias have high metabolism (I'm not sure the same applies to the deep water anthias) but I don't want them to starve. I usually have new fish eating by day three or four. I had a Foxface hold out until day 7 but I'm getting worried.
Have you tried live food I used live pods mixed with mysis during eating strikes and it helped.

OP
OP
K

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried tigger pods with no success. I've also tried masstick. I get the feeling this is going to be a very expensive fish rental. These things happen. I usually have a much higher success rate so I'm a little bummed.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back