Trouble growing corals

Mystersynyster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, the main thing that I see would still be the nitrates and phosphates. I would think your lights for that tank would be plenty, as long as you are not burning the coral out. Small adjustments and patience, softies are hardy, keep us up to date

Mystersynyster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clown, 2 Damsel and gramma with mixed lps and softies. I feed 2 cubes frozen daily to fish and three days a week feed Coral 1 cube ground and 1tsp reef roids. I feed heavy and filter out what I don't want. Try giving your skimmer a break periodically through the day, note any changes

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
length 30 inches
depth 20 1/2
width 16
i have a ai prime light
im going to start feeding more to hopefully bring up the nitrates
Okay!

And how many inches above the water line is the light mounted?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 11inches
So, your tank is 20.5 inches tall and your light is 11 inches above that. That is a total of 31.5 inches light must travel through air and water to get to the bottom of the tank.

That is a lot for 1 AI prime, regardless of the model ( by the way, which model AI are you using?).

Your corals are healthy, but not growing. I'm inclined to think lighting is the biggest issue. But unless you can get a PAR meter and post readings, we can't be sure.

Is there a local reef club inn your area that has one to lend out? How about your local fish store?

OP
OP
SlightlyOutraged

SlightlyOutraged

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, your tank is 20.5 inches tall and your light is 11 inches above that. That is a total of 31.5 inches light must travel through air and water to get to the bottom of the tank.

That is a lot for 1 AI prime, regardless of the model ( by the way, which model AI are you using?).

Your corals are healthy, but not growing. I'm inclined to think lighting is the biggest issue. But unless you can get a PAR meter and post readings, we can't be sure.

Is there a local reef club inn your area that has one to lend out? How about your local fish store?
This is the light.im not sure if world wide corals lends out par meters but I guess I could ask an see

Attachments

• 20220914_170657.jpg
    20220914_170657.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 13

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the light.im not sure if world wide corals lends out par meters but I guess I could ask an see
I can't imagine they lend out PAR meters.

But I was able to find that you light provides 100 PAR at 24 inches. You are at 31 inches, so, it will be under 100 PAR.

I think lighting is your primary issue.

Based on the full tank shot you've provided, it appears that you are using a HOB filter and is the only source of flow in the tank. You may want to consider adding power heads to increase flow.

I'm also seeing a healthy growth of algae on the back wall of the tank. This is why you probably are testing ZERO Nitrates; the algae is consuming the nitrates.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something just occurred to me...

To test and see if the issue is lighting, you could buy a frag tray and place it higher on the back wall of the tank, closer to the light. Then drop your frag plugs in it and wait a few months to see if there is growth.

Just a suggestion...

OP
OP
SlightlyOutraged

SlightlyOutraged

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something just occurred to me...

To test and see if the issue is lighting, you could buy a frag tray and place it higher on the back wall of the tank, closer to the light. Then drop your frag plugs in it and wait a few months to see if there is growth.

Just a suggestion...
Thank you so much i will try that I did adjust the light about a inch lower. Corals are starting to look better after I've started feeding the fish heavily the last few days.

OP
OP
SlightlyOutraged

SlightlyOutraged

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine they lend out PAR meters.

But I was able to find that you light provides 100 PAR at 24 inches. You are at 31 inches, so, it will be under 100 PAR.

I think lighting is your primary issue.

Based on the full tank shot you've provided, it appears that you are using a HOB filter and is the only source of flow in the tank. You may want to consider adding power heads to increase flow.

I'm also seeing a healthy growth of algae on the back wall of the tank. This is why you probably are testing ZERO Nitrates; the algae is consuming the nitrates.
So the algae is spreading should I do a water change to remove as much as I can ?nitrates are still 0 or maybe around 2 because corals look better since I've been overfeeding filter is covered in the sludge.i haven't done a water change in like 3 weeks thought my nitrates would've been high by now

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven't done a water change in like 3 weeks thought my nitrates would've been high by now

Ok... I understand that you are trying to get nitrates up to promote coral growth. In terms of successfully growing coral, there are a few things higher in priority.

I suspect that your Nitrates are higher than you are testing; NO3 is being consumed by the algae.

I suggested that you purchase a frag rack and place it closer to the light and see if they improve over the next few months. This would be a great way to see how much of your difficulties are light-related.

May I suggest that you focus on one thing at a time?

First and foremost, please focus your attention on one thing; stability. Try getting into a routine. Pick one day every week that can be declared "water change day". Do FAITHFUL and WEEKLY 20% water changes. Change your polishing pads. Clean filter media, clean protein skimmers. With a commitment to routine, stability can't help but happen.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back