Trouble growing Macros

IzzysPop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Chaeto melt away and have not been able to grow it. I also have some Sea Lettuce and Red Ogo that are maintaining, but not really growing too much. I wonder if this light is my problem (). I have it about 12 inches above the surface of the water. Triton method with turn over around 10x. The sea lettuce and Red Ogo just kind of sit at the bottom. Getting dirty with detritus and whatnot sitting on the leaves. Just curious if anyone can lend any help. Thank you!

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Chaeto melt away and have not been able to grow it. I also have some Sea Lettuce and Red Ogo that are maintaining, but not really growing too much. I wonder if this light is my problem (). I have it about 12 inches above the surface of the water. Triton method with turn over around 10x. The sea lettuce and Red Ogo just kind of sit at the bottom. Getting dirty with detritus and whatnot sitting on the leaves. Just curious if anyone can lend any help. Thank you!

I'm not great at it either, but it sounds like you need more flow. Stuff shouldn't be sitting on the leaves. Maybe try adding a small pump in your fuge area. @AlgaeBarn, does this seem correct?

khmer_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your nitrite and phosphate like? Is it super low? You might be also low on iron even if you test it and it comes back normal. Chaeto require a lot more iron then normal. I was having the same issue with my first batch of chaeto until with my second batch I started dosing 5ml of brightwell iron every other day and it's been growing like crazy for me. Hopefully this will help you.

OP
OP
IzzysPop

IzzysPop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I haven’t checked iron. My nitrates and phosphates are high (not crazy, but I’m trying to get ahead of levels getting too high). I’ll see if I can test iron or maybe even dose a little if my newest batch of chaeto doesn’t take off.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you got great flow otherwise it wont grow very good. Low iron could be a possibility but unlikely.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back