Trouble sourcing raw shrimp for puffer

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having alot of trouble trying to find raw shrimp and other shellfish for my puffer to eat. I normally get a pound of seafood meadly from wholefoods for like $10, but they haven't had it, and now seems like many stores around me are no longer stocking frozen raw shrimp or other raw seafoods.

Does anyone know where I can find some reasonably priced raw food for my puffer?

Also, I tried reading up on feeding cooked shrimp and the consensuses seems that raw is ideal, but unsure how bad cooked would really be. Would cooked shrimp be acceptable to feed for a while until I'm able to find raw somewhere?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve fed our Valentini puffer frozen shrimp in worse case scenarios. We have a bag in our freezer from Costco. I do agree fresh is better but when you’re in a bind that’ll do the trick.
I should mention we thaw the shrimp in a separate cup of tank water.

OP
OP
R

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally I don't have an issue finding raw, but I'm staying strictly quarantined at home other than grocery pick ups where they put the food directly into my trunk, and I sanitize everything before bringing into the house. I have a newborn and someone who is at high risk for Covid-19 so I'm avoiding going into stores as much as possible as a precaution. I've tried several times to get frozen raw shrimp or other seafood, but either they don't have any, or have substituted with cooked. Normally I'd just go in and find something else, but hasn't been that easy for me.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Them your at clams on the half shell off live aquaria etc status

Lib95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find it at the LFS or online Omega One offers a frozen whole Alaskan shrimp product. Not exactly fresh what like what you are looking for, but at least not cooked either.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back