True or False: All tangs (surgeonfish) need at least a 6ft tank to thrive.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The article touched on this argument saying that tangs have a very wide range in the wild based on needs rather than wants. (Poor wording but I hope you understand what I mean lol) And I'm only mentioning this because I just read it, I'm in no way endorsing it's message merely pointing you in a direction of atleast someone who has challenged that opinion.
I agree with you - The point I was actually trying to make was that the range thing was 'a poor argument' (It was merely the only argument against keeping tangs that I had heard before - and I wondered if there were other reasons as well). I couldn't get a link to the article - but I found another - and just posted it.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW the link to the article did not work for me - I found another link here:

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2013/06/17/arrested-by-the-tang-police-i-refuse-to-confess/
I like the needs and wants debate. my problem with it is how do we know what their "needs" are. they cant tell us and obviously their need for tons and tons of space isn't at all exact since people are keeping them for years in water boxes as small as 40 gallons. I find our society as a whole thinking we know whats best for animals even though they cant talk or tell us a little concerning.

as long as the debating stays fun and doesn't get out of hand they are fun but then you get the tang police. maybe they have special powers and can talk to them.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My apologies I was just adding that the article touched on that issue or argument and not that it was your specific belief on the topic. That is the same article from what I've been able to find and is the one that I had dug up as well so thanks for posting it for me:)
You're welcome - no need for apologizing - the post I wrote initially was poorly written - so I edited it.

Scooter90254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False, I would say the general census has swung significantly on this topic in the past 10 years.

I remember when putting a tang in anything less then a 125 would get your murdered on these forums. After seeing many success stories in a smaller tanks you have to rethink the logic.

If a fish has a natural territory of 10 acres how do you decide a 6ft tank is enough but a 4ft isn't?

Now that being said I was just reading a member tank that had a sailfin and a powder blue in like 40 cube. Boy that seems tough but they seem to be doing fine.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am going to be the black sheep here and say, "it depends on the size of the fish." I had a yellow tang in a 60gal reef. He was the size of a half dollar, when I felt he was outgrowing the tank, I re-homed him. I have also done this with convict and hippos. The fish thrived in the enviroment I provided for him. So, yeah...depends on the size of the fish.
Curious - how did you decide he was outgrowing the tank? Behavior? illness? something else?

Did the tang grow much in size over that year? In my readings, a guy mentioned a supposed marine biologist that said that yellow tangs, in particular, will mature smaller in smaller aquariums. Never read anything proving or disproving this, but it is an interesting tidbit.

I think this is true - here are a couple examples: A goldfish in a 5 gallon aquarium will not grow to the same size as a goldfish in a pond. It just won't happen. In Discus - when raising young - (which are often overcrowded) - water is changed quite often or they will not grow. Its thought to be some hormone/chemical that builds up and stunts growth. So - if you have a very small tang in a 20 gallon tank (btw, not recommending this) - its my belief that it will not grow to be 12 inches long.

Having said that - one could make the argument that a fish not growing to its natural size is not 'thriving'. It might be true - but - a single tang in a 300 gallon tank cant reproduce, may be in contact with many other fish they would not normally be in contact with. - normally are 'schooling' fish - so even in a huge tank its possible for a tang (or any other fish) not to 'thrive'. Its an interesting discussion.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying that animals shouldn't be treated like humans? im not saying the fish is able to poke its head out and say hey I don't like this tank but they cant talk so we shouldn't be able to say nope your not allowed in a tank that small. Im not saying putting a tang in a 20 gallon tank is ok either but if your within reason and the fish is happy and healthy why is there an issue? we are all in this hobby to raise and take care of healthy animals.

ps. im not bashing your comment in anyway way I just love debating lol

No offense taken at all ….. I'm with you, always up for a good, vigorous debate …..

What I am saying is that how you treat your fish, indeed any 'pet', is up to you; just recognize that they aren't human and don't ascribe human traits to them. People say their fish are 'happy and healthy' all the time. We can largely assess whether a fish is healthy, but happy? Maybe happy = not stressed? How would one judge that? Fish doesn't pace the glass = happy? Fish beats the hell out of newcomers = happy? Fish eats = happy? Maybe if a fish is cramped, but gets fed a lot and gets a girlfriend = happy? Or maybe none of those things make them happy and its all about having plenty of swimming and gliding room. I have an 8' tank and my yellow tang swims/glides the full length all the time. Couldn't do that in a 4' tank. People will do what they do, as will I, just don't delude yourself into believing that a cramped fish is well cared for. I don't think it is.

Lots of people 'believe' lots of things ….. some that they've been abducted by aliens, some that the moon landings were faked, others that Nessie is alive and well, still others that tangs can thrive in a 4' tank. Doesn't make any of them true.

Last edited:

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense taken at all ….. I'm with you, always up for a good, vigorous debate …..

What I am saying is that how you treat your fish, indeed any 'pet', is up to you; just recognize that they aren't human and don't ascribe human traits to them. People say their fish are 'happy and healthy' all the time. We can largely assess whether a fish is healthy, but happy? Maybe happy = not stressed? How would one judge that? Fish doesn't pace the glass = happy? Fish beats the hell out of newcomers = happy? Fish eats = happy? Maybe if a fish is cramped, but gets fed a lot and gets a girlfriend = happy? Or maybe none of those things make them happy and its all about having plenty of swimming and gliding room. I have an 8' tank and my yellow tang swims/glides the full length all the time. Couldn't do that in a 4' tank. People will do what they do, as will I, just don't delude yourself into believing that a cramped fish is well cared for. I don't think it is.

Lots of people 'believe' lots of things ….. some that they've been abducted by aliens, some that the moon landings were faked, others that Nessie is alive and well, still others that tangs can thrive in a 4' tank. Doesn't make any of them true.
The only other problem I see a problem with is a 4' tank. Yes its only four feet but if your rocks aren't against the back glass and they can go around the ends fairly easy then they would have roughly 8' of swimming space horizontally. my tang does this quite often. swims all the way around in circles. I cant imagine it makes any difference to them whether its down turn down turn or just a straight 8' tank.

FREAKINRICAN69

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I say false although I always thought it was true until I babysat my cousins fish tank.

Please see attached pictures as I can’t post a video on it. :(

2206D7E0-9CCC-49E9-AA86-A8F2080A800A.jpeg

AB7E28D3-055B-4C5F-AB71-77C5919E19F6.jpeg

ADBD3604-9A74-4ED1-8187-AD42C7561B81.jpeg

C68E61A3-0B79-4D0D-A4EC-94E28A62C6AA.jpeg

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like some others statements, IMO, I think one of those questions that does not have a 'one answer fits all' approach.

My viewpoint is. Unlike pets such as the common land based animals (Dogs, Cats) which can periodically be given open space to roam and exercise. I would put the aquatic animals along side that of birds. Many of the species we keep in aquariums (but not all) would naturally have a much wider range than can be practically provided in any aquarium. How much cage size for instance would one suggest for a canary bird (Serinus canaria)?

Surely the point is all about the environment you keep it in. Larger fish (or more fish) generally produce more ammonia and require more food. This invariably leads to greater load on the filtration. The greater the volume of water the more diluted these additions will be. So common sense should prevail. Another very important factor that is commonly overlooked is species compatibility. Some species of fish would invariably cause territorial problems in an enclosed space.

On an ethical standpoint. We keep human beings in captivity (Jail , Prison) What size cell should be provided for a human being?

To make a decision then way up if you will have the commitment to the husbandry and maintenance that the animal will demand. This can only be achieved with due diligent research. Never impulse buy an animal. You have a duty of care once its in your possession.

For any fish, not just Tangs, look up what size it attains and use some common sense, a 12 inch fish wont fit in a 10 inch tank. For it to even move around its going to need at least 24 inch. General rule of thumb, Big Fish = Big Tanks.

So what size tank for a Yellow Tang? , as big as you can afford and have commitment to maintain. At the end of the day it's your responsibility and it's your decision, don't let others spoil the hobby for you, just use common sense.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if all that swimming and gliding is more so pacing and 8' actually isn't big enough either ;Nailbiting;Nailbiting;Nailbiting :p (Joking!) Sorry had to say it.

Probably true!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant imagine it makes any difference to them whether its down turn down turn or just a straight 8' tank.

My spotted naso is blind in one eye so he (maybe she) only makes left turns. Does them very happily though …...

Loggerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue hippo and a purple tang in a 4’ tank. The hippo came from another reefer who had it in a 4’ tank for 3-4 years prior to me taking it in when he was moving. Same with the purple, but from a different guy. Both have been in for close to a year and there is no aggression, no pacing, no obvious signs of stress at all. They eat like pigs and pick at rocks all day. Even sleep in the same rock at night. The hippo will outgrow my tank one day and will either be moved to a bigger fish only tank or rehomed, but for now they are thriving and happy. I have also gotten a yellow tang in the past, before these two, that went crazy in my tank and had to be removed. I would say it depends on swimming space, compatibility with other fish and the individual fish. For example, I don’t think I could house my purple with a yellow even if I went to an 8’ tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back