True or False: All tangs (surgeonfish) need at least a 6ft tank to thrive.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
True or False: All tangs (surgeonfish) need at least a 6ft tank to thrive.

big_fish_small_bowl.png

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FALSE

I say it depends on the entire footprint.

A 6ft tank could be a 72x18" 125g "dog run" with a rock wall in the back hardly giving the fish enough room to turn around..

...Personally I think my tangs are happier in my 60x36 250g tank with open rock work and room to cruise around the perimeter without ever stopping to turn around.

Last edited:

jdaven22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read on this topic until I am brain dead. I know that it isn't responsible to house a tang (in my case yellow, because it is my favorite fish) in a smaller tank.

I do not plan on getting a tang until I get a large enough tank that I believe it will be ethical and non-stressful towards the fish. I have seen many people house tangs in tanks my size with the same swimming room and seem to have healthy, thriving tanks and fish.

However, to play the Devil's advocate; here is an interesting read from Coral Magazine on this particular subject.

Arrested by the Tang Police: I Refuse to Confess! | Coral Magazine

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 4 tangs in a 4ft tank... oops.. realistically tho the convict tang could be removed.. he's a trouble maker..

tank is 48x36x24.

Thatgrimguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs owner has kept a fat healthy looking tiny little tang in his 12g nano for over a year now... I have complained about it like 4 times and finally let it go after the 2nd month... now, a year later.. that same yellow tang is still fat, little and seems happy...

All my instincts say it's wrong to do this... but all rules can be broken.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tomini is extremely content in my 40"x26"x21" tank, with minimal rock and tons of swimming room.

jdaven22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the tang grow much in size over that year? In my readings, a guy mentioned a supposed marine biologist that said that yellow tangs, in particular, will mature smaller in smaller aquariums. Never read anything proving or disproving this, but it is an interesting tidbit.

My lfs owner has kept a fat healthy looking tiny little tang in his 12g nano for over a year now... I have complained about it like 4 times and finally let it go after the 2nd month... now, a year later.. that same yellow tang is still fat, little and seems happy...

All my instincts say it's wrong to do this... but all rules can be broken.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to say False on this one and leave it at that...

I think this topic ends up starting flaming wars as there is evidence to prove both sides but some of it is species specific. There are too many variables and all I need to say is Thank God the tang police are not so powerful on R2R as another site I will not mention (or post in often). Over there they get verbally abusive and very confrontational even with newbies asking questions if their tank is OK.

chestnud

Slice & Dice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the tang grow much in size over that year? In my readings, a guy mentioned a supposed marine biologist that said that yellow tangs, in particular, will mature smaller in smaller aquariums. Never read anything proving or disproving this, but it is an interesting tidbit.

I have a 12 year old (I have had it for 12 years) yellow tang that has grown up in a 65g tank and is currently 4" so there may be some truth to that

Reef_Princess_Appria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be the black sheep here and say, "it depends on the size of the fish." I had a yellow tang in a 60gal reef. He was the size of a half dollar, when I felt he was outgrowing the tank, I re-homed him. I have also done this with convict and hippos. The fish thrived in the enviroment I provided for him. So, yeah...depends on the size of the fish.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter has a 30g hex with a very tiny yellow tang the size of a silver dollar. Only 2 small firefish and a small clown (per other fish) to keep him company. He has been in there for about 18 months and is doing very well. There is only a sand bed and a small pile of LR taking up space and has room to roam. IF he does get too large or looking cramped he will re-home to my 125g.

So I feel like if he is very small and seems happy with his home, why not? Just be sure if you attempt it that you do have a place to re-home him in if things change/ gets too big.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back