True or False: You need at least 1lb of live rock per gallon in a saltwater aquarium.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
True or False: You need at least 1lb of live rock per gallon in a saltwater aquarium.

Fiji_Live_Rock_1-1.jpg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
False: Depends on different things like : the density and weight of the rock, the load in the aquarium, size of skimmer and other nutrient exporting ways.

Now adays skimmers have got so efficent less rock is required than used to be.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do need to say false due to the already mentioned items, it isn't always a bad thing to have a good amount of rock in the water column somewhere for filtration. It can be more in the sump and less in the display though. While skimmers and other nutrient reduction methods can fail due to mechanical issues, Live rock is a safety net to handle the nutrients in the event of equipment failure.

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do need to say false due to the already mentioned items, it isn't always a bad thing to have a good amount of rock in the water column somewhere for filtration. It can be more in the sump and less in the display though. While skimmers and other nutrient reduction methods can fail due to mechanical issues, Live rock is a safety net to handle the nutrients in the event of equipment failure.

Agreed :roll:

AJreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding 1lb of live rock per gallon of water isn't necessary. I prefer to look at the quality of the rock being added and make a judgment call from there. Technically a small porous rock can support more bacteria and micro agents than a heavier more solid structure. I would however want some nice diversity on that rock ...

flipper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Room for fish and coral would be nice. Would need to fill the sump. I like the minimalistic look in my DT

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to say false to. Using base rock is cheaper and comes pest free. Buying pods and getting a coralline algae scrapings from a friends tank is all that is necessary. I start all my new systems this way. Just microbacter7 for the bacteria to cycle.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saying 1# per gallon is like saying 10g of water per fish. (im not going to put 5 tangs in a 55g tank) there are allot of factors to consider.
the rock itself, your tank,your filtration.... and what is going in your tank will all determine how much rock to put in.

I have found it is up to you, and what your specific tank needs (but 1-2# per gallon is still a good rule of thumb)

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just one thing to add. When adding the rock there is no issue with dry rock, but make sure you know that dry rock weighs much less than live rock. So basically the 1lb per gallon of live rock may be OK, but if you are adding dry, don't use that rule as you'll end up with a big huge box of unused rock as the fish do need room to swim ;)

** I did this in my 75 at the 1.5 pound per gallon rule. Man that's a lot of dry rock ;)

DOI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote on this is True ... ish. Back in the day the rule of thumb was 2lbs liverock/gallon. Today its 1lb/gallon can be adjusted to account for parameters of the rock, such as density. The important aspect having rock is for a surface area that will support enough beneficial bacteria to keep up with ammonia. Substrate helps with this as well as bio-beads and sponges. If you are running a sump that is 50% the volume of your display with bio media in it then yes you can go with less rock but the average home aquarium isn't running that kind of setup.

Nomadic1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally false. My current 7 year old SPS tank would have died long ago if it were a requirement :) I probably only have about 75 lbs at most in it.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False.... I don't wanna give away any secrets, but I have heard there is a place that is running a good sized operation w/ 0 rock at all.... Hard to do yes, possible yeah if you know what your doing and have other ways of filtration and water stabilization that are sufficient :)

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sps system is about 450 gallons and has about 80 pounds of rock in it. I think more the bio load such as fish increases the need for more rock. In my opinion it depends on the set up.

CUNAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entirely false. I ran a 150g system for 3 years with less than 3-5 lbs of rock and a small tupperware container of sand... Both were for my fish. I wouldn't recommend the approach to a novice, but it can easily be done. Phosphate, Nitrate, Bacteria, and a couple fish are all that you need. I tried a spot in my sump without fish and didn't have much success. Once I added a couple damsels, things were fine. With all of that said, there is one important thing that you will need to do over time or your system will crash...

Last edited:

TBAquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell Live Rock and I say false, you do not NEED any rock, however without the rock and the organisms that make it Live, you have to do so much more work keeping your tank stable and reducing stress for your fish.
You can have a bare bottom and no rock and still have an amazing tank, but for most people that is not feasible.
1, your fish would be stressed because they have no where to hide and sleep.
2, you would have to do major water changes frequently to keep your levels correct and stable.

I like to think of Live Rock as a stabling mechanism. I suggest you add as much as you like to be aesthetically pleasing for you, then if you feel you need more add some to your sump to make 1 to 1.5 pounds per gallon, however there are no hard and fast rules to do so. It is all about personal preference.

CUNAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell Live Rock and I say false, you do not NEED any rock, however without the rock and the organisms that make it Live, you have to do so much more work keeping your tank stable and reducing stress for your fish.
You can have a bare bottom and no rock and still have an amazing tank, but for most people that is not feasible.
1, your fish would be stressed because they have no where to hide and sleep.
2, you would have to do major water changes frequently to keep your levels correct and stable.

I like to think of Live Rock as a stabling mechanism. I suggest you add as much as you like to be aesthetically pleasing for you, then if you feel you need more add some to your sump to make 1 to 1.5 pounds per gallon, however there are no hard and fast rules to do so. It is all about personal preference.

+1

Your system will crash without regular water changes. I recently added a small amount of rock just because I wanted my fish to have a place to sleep at night.

Back