OP
OP
ArtsyAxolotl

ArtsyAxolotl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was like a whole 5 oz bag of chemipure that inexplicably opened up into my tank. and now it's everywhere.

OP
OP
ArtsyAxolotl

ArtsyAxolotl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up having to siphon the top of the sand bed, taking off the top layer. It helped. It's not perfect, there's still white pieces swirling around but there's not nearly as many. The bulk of it ended up in the back sump area (thank goodness) but enough got into the tank itself to be a problem.

Definitely not buying the bigger bags of chemipure again. I'll stick with the little "nano" pods from now on. This thread took a weird turn :/

Last edited:
OP
OP
ArtsyAxolotl

ArtsyAxolotl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm, then it really could have been one of many things.

It's been a couple days since I last posted, and my trumpet started fluffing up again yesterday. Even the heads with exposed skeleton were trying to inflate. Aaaaand then it got knocked down. Gotta pick up more superglue to put it back on it's rock. This poor trumpet has been through so much :| Hopefully once it's back in place and situated, it'll heal back up. Can they recover when their skeleton gets exposed? Will the fleshy part eventually cover back over that?

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm, then it really could have been one of many things.

It's been a couple days since I last posted, and my trumpet started fluffing up again yesterday. Even the heads with exposed skeleton were trying to inflate. Aaaaand then it got knocked down. Gotta pick up more superglue to put it back on it's rock. This poor trumpet has been through so much :| Hopefully once it's back in place and situated, it'll heal back up. Can they recover when their skeleton gets exposed? Will the fleshy part eventually cover back over that?
Yes it can recover the skeleton. I'm glad it is looking better! The best glue imo is BSI ic-gel. Take some pictures once you get it glued.

OP
OP
ArtsyAxolotl

ArtsyAxolotl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, I'll keep that glue in mind for next time!

Trumpet is back up where it belongs. It's mad at me for touching it but hopefully it'll fluff back up now!

IMG_4111.JPG

OP
OP
ArtsyAxolotl

ArtsyAxolotl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, actually. If I do notice its tentacles out, should I attempt to target feed it something? Would that help it heal? Or will it not make much difference?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try feeding smaller particle foods. Normally at night you'll see them out. Once healthy you'll get a feeding response regularly. Oyster feast, reef roids, coral frenzy. All good types of food to feed the calaustrea. I'm a believer in feeding corals.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, actually. If I do notice its tentacles out, should I attempt to target feed it something? Would that help it heal? Or will it not make much difference?
I would try to target feed if you see the tentacles out. As stated above we believe in feeding corals.

OP
OP
ArtsyAxolotl

ArtsyAxolotl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far today I haven't seen any puffing up or tentacles. I'll continue to keep an eye on it. Thanks for all the help :)

OP
OP
ArtsyAxolotl

ArtsyAxolotl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*sigh* well, it's getting worse now..

There's so much skeleton showing.. I don't know what to do. I checked my parameters and everything is perfect, probably a result of my media bag exploding and having to siphon all that out. I probably stressed it out with that huge water change..

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There's so much skeleton showing.. I don't know what to do. I checked my parameters and everything is perfect, probably a result of my media bag exploding and having to siphon all that out. I probably stressed it out with that huge water change..
I'm sorry to hear that:(. Can you post a picture and post all your parameters again?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would try to let everything settle. No more sudden changes. Keep chemistry stable and wait it out.

CamG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your first post, you mentioned that you are adjusting your lighting.
I just changed to a new light fixture and my Trumpet is not puffing up anymore and the tentacles stopped coming out at night.
Looks exactly like your first picture. I put my fixture in acclimation mode now to help it.

Just saying that lighting can cause the same symptoms you are experiencing.

Good luck, I hope it recovers for you.

Cam

OP
OP
ArtsyAxolotl

ArtsyAxolotl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! I thought I did post a pic.

feel like this has gone beyond lighting. It had lots of phosphates, a bta sting it and then it got knocked down. I only turned the lights down by an hour, not by any intensity.

All my parameters are the same as in the original post, except that my nitrates and phosphates are 0 now.

IMG_4124.JPG

OP
OP
ArtsyAxolotl

ArtsyAxolotl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just keep trying not to touch the tank and keep the shrimp fed so they leave it alone. Hopefully it turns around in a few days :/

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back