Trying Coral Snow and Cyno clean- anyone have advice who has had success with this?

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to get rid of cyno as naturally as possible without any side effects in my mixed reef tank. Have been told to try Coral Snow and Cyno clean.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it many times. success has been hit or miss for me. One thing to note is I found it to be a slow process.

OP
OP
jpbeen

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it many times. success has been hit or miss for me. One thing to note is I found it to be a slow process.
The directions state to leave all devices running however I have noticed with other bacterial treatments to turn off skimmer and UV for 4-24 hours. Your thoughts?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I dose those two products (I dose them both at the same time), I turn off my skimmer for 2 hours. I don't use UV on the tank I have used cyan clean on but would probably turn that off for the same period. I would also manually remove as much as you can. I am battling the same thing in a tank right now. Started with Cyano clean and snow and have now tried chemiclean multiple times on the tank but still can't get rid of it. Been going on for a few months now. I also had low Nitrate and phosphate in the tank (both reading 0). I have brought them both up which I was hoping would help but hasn't.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @jpbeen

How is the Treatment going? Have you kept up on daily dosing.

I started the Coral Snow/Cyan-Clean treatement same time you did about 3 weeks ago.
NOthing was happening, but I knew it would take time.
I dosed like the bottle said, every day 8 drop of CyanoClean, 2 ml of Coral snow for my 110G tank. Once a day, both.

Not much was happening, but from past I know you got to be patient, and stay on top. Never miss a day, and if you do, double up next day.

Today I am starting to see that Cyano is finally begining the fade out.

As the bottle says, it can take up to 8 Weeks. And if you loose patience and stop, you won't see the results.
It is slow so it feel like it's not going to work.

Don't give up.

I can post a photo of 3 weeks ago and today. Comparing those two photos I can see the improvement.
If you look for results daily, it's hard to tell, till Cyano is completely gone, or thinning out in spots.

OP
OP
jpbeen

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @jpbeen

How is the Treatment going? Have you kept up on daily dosing.

I started the Coral Snow/Cyan-Clean treatement same time you did about 3 weeks ago.
NOthing was happening, but I knew it would take time.
I dosed like the bottle said, every day 8 drop of CyanoClean, 2 ml of Coral snow for my 110G tank. Once a day, both.

Not much was happening, but from past I know you got to be patient, and stay on top. Never miss a day, and if you do, double up next day.

Today I am starting to see that Cyano is finally begining the fade out.

As the bottle says, it can take up to 8 Weeks. And if you loose patience and stop, you won't see the results.
It is slow so it feel like it's not going to work.

Don't give up.

I can post a photo of 3 weeks ago and today. Comparing those two photos I can see the improvement.
If you look for results daily, it's hard to tell, till Cyano is completely gone, or thinning out in spots.
I have been dosing 10 drops Cyno-Clean and 5ml of Coral snow daily in my Red Sea Reefer 525XL. Just completed another biweekly water change and siphoned off the cyno from sand and rock. Hoping to see results soon.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing 10 drops Cyno-Clean and 5ml of Coral snow daily in my Red Sea Reefer 525XL. Just completed another biweekly water change and siphoned off the cyno from sand and rock. Hoping to see results soon.
ANy Improvements on your side.

I still have thin/Spotty Cyano patches, but it Finally showing signs of receeding.

Really noticeble when I compare Past and Present Tank Photo.

THIS WAS BACK IN DECEMBER

2021-03-02_110g-SPS-Tank-Cyano.jpg

And today. (I can tell the UGLY Red look isn't as dominant anymore)
2021-03-02_110G-SPS-TANK-CyanoFading.jpg

Hope the Cyano Dissapears Soon since I'm down to 1/4 Bottle of the CyanoClean.

This is certainly the longest it has ever taken.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im dosing both as well. Every couple of days I blast the Cyano off of my rocks - seems like it isn't as bad as it once was, but far from being done with cyano.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im dosing both as well. Every couple of days I blast the Cyano off of my rocks - seems like it isn't as bad as it once was, but far from being done with cyano.
How long have you been treating with CoralSnow+CyanoClean?

I've been doing it for weeks. 50ml bottle of CyanoClean. 8-10 drops each day for a 110G tank.
My patience is wearing thin, but I see progress finally.

I do the same. Blow the cyano off the rocks which makes the Cyano dissapear, but it comes back onto the rocks two days later.

Best is to siphon the Cyano out of your tank but that is hard work. Also to proper sihpon off and out, it takes a lot of New Water. I do siphon water out and thru a sock and back into sump. THat saves me the effort and cost of making new water change water.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been treating with CoralSnow+CyanoClean?

I've been doing it for weeks. 50ml bottle of CyanoClean. 8-10 drops each day for a 110G tank.
My patience is wearing thin, but I see progress finally.

I do the same. Blow the cyano off the rocks which makes the Cyano dissapear, but it comes back onto the rocks two days later.

Best is to siphon the Cyano out of your tank but that is hard work. Also to proper sihpon off and out, it takes a lot of New Water. I do siphon water out and thru a sock and back into sump. THat saves me the effort and cost of making new water change water.
I have been using it for 3 weeks or so. I also will siphon through a filter sock into a bucket and then dump into the tank once per week or so. I have been also working on my flow to try and minimize the dead spots that accumulate detritus which seems to help also (I'm running bare bottom also).

I have also tried chemiclean and ran through that process 5-6 times. It seemed like the first couple of times it really slowed it down, but after that it didn't seem to have much impact.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using it for 3 weeks or so. I also will siphon through a filter sock into a bucket and then dump into the tank once per week or so. I have been also working on my flow to try and minimize the dead spots that accumulate detritus which seems to help also (I'm running bare bottom also).

I have also tried chemiclean and ran through that process 5-6 times. It seemed like the first couple of times it really slowed it down, but after that it didn't seem to have much impact.
Yup. I read that ChemiClean works first time the best. Then each time after that it get's less effective.
Don't keep using it, since I was told if used too much the Cyano may actually get worse and become really tough to get rid of.

Flow does help, but my Cyano is pretty Subborn in spots. I have area's where there is direct flow from a MP60 and the stuff sticks to the rock. Not as thick but little spots of red that need a bit more direct flow, or a light brushing.

Other areas I can blow the Cyano off with a Turkey Baster.

It seems that Cyano just take time to naturally cycle away, even with the Cyano Clean Bacteria treatment.
To help I just added about 25 lbs of live rock to my sump to increase competitive bateria surface area.
Fellow reefer shut his tank down and I got almost 100+ lbs of live rock as a hand me down. Picked it up today.

The rest went into a frag tank. Which is isolated and not part of my Cyano Tank System.
Actually it's not much of a frag tank anymore. No room for frag rack.
2021-03-07_FragTankMOreLiveRock.jpg

Nice rock he gave me. Wish my Display Tank had nice Cyano Free rock like my Frag Tank does now.

I'm hoping the Extra Live Rock with Good Bacteria will speed up the final stage the Cyano Cycle.

I hate cyano, but it's a lot less painful that may other negatives, pests, invasions in this hobby.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jpbeen

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I still have thin/Spotty Cyano patches, but it Finally showing signs of receeding.

I ran out of produ

ran out of products so I switched to Dr Tims Refresh and waste away. The Refresh took about 4 doses over a 2week period to completely rid my tank of cyano. Just added one dose of waste away.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran out of produ

ran out of products so I switched to Dr Tims Refresh and waste away. The Refresh took about 4 doses over a 2week period to completely rid my tank of cyano. Just added one dose of waste away.

I ran out of produ

Well if my Cyano Clean doesn't finish the Job, I will look into Tim's Refresh.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG!! Cyano Almost Gone.

Today I was stunned with a whole new looking tank.
Purple Rocks Everywhere, with only a few small patches of Cyano. I haven't seen the purple pure/blue coraline look for months.

2021-03-09_CyanoClean.jpg

The Cyano Clean worked, just took much longer than ever before.

This was just 7 days ago.

Patience, not drastic measures pays off.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back