Trying my hand at coral

Newsaltymom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently (6mo) ago set up a 150g with my older son, his idea, I was going to fresh but came home from work with saltwater in it. Anyway....we have failed and succeeded so far, but learned lots of lessons. Currently we are fishless in the big tank, we have eels, starfish (this will come in to play shortly) and urchins. I never planned on corals. But my nitrates run a tad high and I read some soft corals (typically the ones folks hate calling them weeds, very invasive) like nitrates so I spoke with lfs and got 3 small frags. I threw them in yesterday and 2 of the 3 opened up within the hour (made me happy!) I am aware it will not kill my nitrate issue, just adding to help eat em up. (Today all 3 are open and happy so I’m
Oh and I realize they’re not open in pic I had just turned lights on this morning )

So.... here are my dumb questions

1. Do the frags HAVE to be on rocks? Like...I have this pvc jungle gym I made for the eels, but if I stand it on end the frags set down in the holes perfectly. Like in the picture, can I do this??

2. My starfish...what the heck was I thinking!? lol I feed him every other day with my eels so he stays super fat, it’s a choc chip. Should I move him to my other tank? Anyone had luck with them staying away if fed enough?

3. If I am able to keep them on the pvc like this up in the air, how will they grow? Down the pvc? Lol I have a large 12x12 open area with nothing in it i am hoping these will “fill in “. Anyway I can help that come to life?

4 . My only other concern is he hermit crab, I should definitely move him out right? Not the little cuc ones, I have one large one.

I’m new, help me out please & thank you!

8A37FDBC-D054-4752-8D76-BCF399E26212.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polish_20200506_011127297.jpg

Your chocolate starfish would need to be re-homed.

The big hermit crab may be problematic.

Corals can be placed virtually anywhere depending upon their needs.

On the pvc is fine for now, but your corals would need to be placed in a permanent home soon.

OP
OP
Newsaltymom

Newsaltymom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polish_20200506_011127297.jpg

Your chocolate starfish would need to be re-homed.

The big hermit crab may be problematic.

Corals can be placed virtually anywhere depending upon their needs.

On the pvc is fine for now, but your corals would need to be placed in a permanent home soon.

THANK U! I will go ahead and relocate both starfish and hermit to my other tank, they’ll be fine there. Guess I’ll go ahead and do a real home for the corals I have plenty of rock just not in this area of the tank, I will just rearrange what I have. Appreciate your response!

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The choc chip will eat your corals. Hermits, I’ve never had a problem with at all but depending on size could cause some trouble of there isn’t food available. I would invest in a small frag rack or something for the corals. They might go missing and you won’t see them or they will attach and grow in a place you don’t want them to be.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back