Trying to breed beta fish for the first time, they are fighting quite fiercely is this normal.

breeding newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put them in the same tank after putting them in small tank adjacent to each other they did not seem to be aggressive so I put them isn’t the same tank.

I’ve had the blue one for a couple months now and 4 day ago I bought him a mate. I read the wiki how page about breeding beta fish and learnt that you need living food but that’s isn’t available were I live, I’ve gone to many pet shops and found no living food can I breed without them?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put them in the same tank after putting them in small tank adjacent to each other they did not seem to be aggressive so I put them isn’t the same tank.

I’ve had the blue one for a couple months now and 4 day ago I bought him a mate. I read the wiki how page about breeding beta fish and learnt that you need living food but that’s isn’t available were I live, I’ve gone to many pet shops and found no living food can I breed without them?

assuming this is freshwater betta fish. Here is what I found:

You need a Gravid female that is conditioned… carrying eggs. You will want to feed 3 times a day.. high quality frozen, pellets, and live is best. If she is not carrying eggs then she’s not ready.

Dont bother with pet store bettas, you want fish younger than one year and often these fish are too old or poor condition.

They should show they are receptive to mating by changing colors before you release and flirting with each other.

The male will build a bubble nest before releasing the female.

Live foods are used in most baby fish so I would say you need to buy these online and culture them.

Breeding egg laying fish is no small task and it’s more then just putting two fish together.

I can’t see the video but I would separate the fish if they are fighting. Some fighting is normal but I am guessing yours are not ready to breed.

Upvote 0

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been many years but I remember we had to separate males by a piece of glass and once one male made its bubble nest we introduced a female.

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Males always need to be separated. It’s also good to have a harem, as the male relentlessly harasses the female until she is ready to breed. Having multiple females + a big tank + lots of hiding places spreads out this aggression.

Upvote 0

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
assuming this is freshwater betta fish. Here is what I found:

You need a Gravid female that is conditioned… carrying eggs. You will want to feed 3 times a day.. high quality frozen, pellets, and live is best. If she is not carrying eggs then she’s not ready.

Dont bother with pet store bettas, you want fish younger than one year and often these fish are too old or poor condition.

They should show they are receptive to mating by changing colors before you release and flirting with each other.

The male will build a bubble nest before releasing the female.

Live foods are used in most baby fish so I would say you need to buy these online and culture them.

Breeding egg laying fish is no small task and it’s more then just putting two fish together.

I can’t see the video but I would separate the fish if they are fighting. Some fighting is normal but I am guessing yours are not ready to breed.
+1 from what my understanding is that it's really a 50 50 chance that they won't kill each other.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back