Trying TO Cycle Tank

M36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 40 breeder, no live sand, no live rock, using Dr Tims one and only. Day 4 with ammonia still at 1.2 with no change and nitrites at zero. Salinity 1.025 but can't keep the water temp above 76. Ordered to small of a heater. No filter socks, no skimmer but have activated carbon in the sump. When adding Dr Tims I left the pump off and let it all sink. Used 4 drops per gallon of the Ammonium Chloride and it seems like I just have a tank of ammonia water.

I had a 20 gallon tall about 15 years ago and cycled with live rock and damsel's and it ran great.

Any thoughts?

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what biological media do you have in there?

Four days is not cause for alarm at all, you are still within the reasonable range for a tank with live sand and seeded with pre-used media, much less one without. I would just hang tight. For perspective, when I started from scratch with live sand, LifeRock, and Matrix in the sump it was something like 10 days

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 40 breeder, no live sand, no live rock, using Dr Tims one and only. Day 4 with ammonia still at 1.2 with no change and nitrites at zero. Salinity 1.025 but can't keep the water temp above 76. Ordered to small of a heater. No filter socks, no skimmer but have activated carbon in the sump. When adding Dr Tims I left the pump off and let it all sink. Used 4 drops per gallon of the Ammonium Chloride and it seems like I just have a tank of ammonia water.

I had a 20 gallon tall about 15 years ago and cycled with live rock and damsel's and it ran great.

Any thoughts?
Do you have ANY sand or rock? If not, the bacteria has nothing to colonize... except for the carbon
Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any thoughts?
You need a canister filter if you’re going for a no rock and sand route. Need more filtration than you usually have with live rock and sand.

Reeferjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patients is the key it will take time and maybe get a piece of live rock from your lfs to help seed the tank also

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any thoughts?
I wouldn't expect to see anything other than ammonia after 4 days.

Your tank, like all tanks, will cycle in 21-30 days minimum.

Patience, is all that is needed. Don't waste money on testing until 3 weeks, unless you like doing tests and wasting money on tests for no reason.

Regatds
Graham.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back