OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about 2 1/2 weeks in on the Hypo and happy to report all fish are doing great and getting fatter every day. I completed the QT area and am very happy with what I have there. I have 3ea. 20 gallon tanks and then separately I have a 40 breeder set up so plenty of QT water.
IMG_4515.JPG

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about 2 1/2 weeks in on the Hypo and happy to report all fish are doing great and getting fatter every day. I completed the QT area and am very happy with what I have there. I have 3ea. 20 gallon tanks and then separately I have a 40 breeder set up so plenty of QT water.
IMG_4515.JPG
What did you use to measure salinity for hypo? Also can you share what salinity you keep the tank at

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a combination of Refractometer, Apex and Hydrometer. I first ordered calibration fluid to be sure about accuracy and I have been retesting the refracometer once or twice a week just to be sure it still on.
I am keeping it right at 1.009
Measured on Apex it varys from 12.0 to about 12.4 which when converted is 1.009-1.0093

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a combination of Refractometer, Apex and Hydrometer. I first ordered calibration fluid to be sure about accuracy and I have been retesting the refracometer once or twice a week just to be sure it still on.
I am keeping it right at 1.009
Measured on Apex it varys from 12.0 to about 12.4 which when converted is 1.009-1.0093
Good to hear hypo was working for you. I may go this route in future. I'm doing H2O2 right now and added blue tang from Qt to DT and could see a few spots on him. If it gets worse hypo is what next it is.

hawkeyejp82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4515.JPG
So I can hopefully prevent getting any kind of ick into my display system I was wondering what was your quarantine process before these new tanks? I'm currently planning on 28 days for fish with copper treatments as I have a separate quarantine tank for coral that is 76 days (the life cycle of ick) without copper treatment before anything goes into my display.

Glad to hear everyone is getting better. Its also crazy to see how far the fish care hobby has come. I was reading a book about caring for fish from the 1980's and it basically stated if a fish of yours is sick throw it away. We have come far for sure.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was quarantining with copper but I admittedly was very careless with Biosecurity and I am sure that I am at fault with cross contamination with new fish that had not been treated with copper or anything and my display. I have taken steps to prevent this in the future. I now have a very organized QT area and I have purchased all new equipment like test viles, Refractomerter and other items so that nothing I use in the quarantine area ever gets used in the display.

hawkeyejp82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was quarantining with copper but I admittedly was very careless with Biosecurity and I am sure that I am at fault with cross contamination with new fish that had not been treated with copper or anything and my display. I have taken steps to prevent this in the future. I now have a very organized QT area and I have purchased all new equipment like test viles, Refractomerter and other items so that nothing I use in the quarantine area ever gets used in the display.
That's a good point I didn't even think about the test equipment. Luckily I have controller with probes for auto testing on the main display but I will still have to be careful about testing the Quarantine and the Mixing station with the same refractometer I suppose I'll just label and use separate pipettes for drawing water out to test.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back