Trying to figure out glass thickness for small DIY Shelf Tank

GrumpyAlison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR:
Would .125/3mm glass work for a rimless tank that's maybe 30x7x7 with 0-2 braces on the top?
eta: what length would be safe for 3/32 glass, if any (That's what's readily available in local hardware stores)

-----Backstory----
I want to make some small shelf tanks (not into paying 100 for a pre-made one) I cant decide if I should break down old tanks (10g and 20L for the thicker glass) or buy new glass. I prefer to buy new glass (I'm lazy and busy :p) and I'm having trouble determining a safe thickness.

Alternately, I'm a bit confused as to what safety factor is and how one would calculate it - I couldn't find much online that made sense to me. I saw a lot of stuff about different values, but never anything that clearly explained what it meant or how to figure out what to enter into the tank.

Thanks!

Last edited:

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a great calculator bookmarked but it uses flash so no longer works. It does tell me for almost guaranteed safety use 3.8 as a safety factor. So if you use that value in this calculator your planned tank is no problem:

OP
OP
GrumpyAlison

GrumpyAlison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a great calculator bookmarked but it uses flash so no longer works. It does tell me for almost guaranteed safety use 3.8 as a safety factor. So if you use that value in this calculator your planned tank is no problem:

I saw that calculator (the one with flash) and was like 'ahh dang. flash' :p I also saw the other one but I just wasn't sure how to interpret or enter safety factor, so thanks for the help!!
I might just pick up a sheet of glass rather than spending hours breaking down old tanks.

One other question about safety factor: Is it measured from the top of the tank or the top of the water line? Like if I made an 8" tall tank and only filled it 7", should I enter 7 or 8 for height? Or am I way overthinking this XD

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that calculator (the one with flash) and was like 'ahh dang. flash' :p I also saw the other one but I just wasn't sure how to interpret or enter safety factor, so thanks for the help!!
I might just pick up a sheet of glass rather than spending hours breaking down old tanks.

One other question about safety factor: Is it measured from the top of the tank or the top of the water line? Like if I made an 8" tall tank and only filled it 7", should I enter 7 or 8 for height? Or am I way overthinking this XD
Overthinking but actual water height would be the deciding factor IMO, so 7" in that case.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back